U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:42 PM

6,888 posts, read 6,212,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
I have been a believer in Jesus throughout my life as a Catholic, a Baptist and as a non denominational.

I have dealt with all sorts of beliefs and I can testify, I was never moved from the position of trusting in God to the fullest.

Because mankind fails to maintain a good report with its claims on Christianity, does in no way diminish the existence of God.

here on this forum and on others like this one, I speak to all sorts of belief systems.

It doesn't matter to me what you believe for that is totally up to you to choose.

But if you want to discuss the merits of knowing who and what God is in my life, and how He is my constant complaining during the good times as well as the bad times.

Because of you, "used to be Christians" does in no way sway me to believe that Jesus and God are not what I claim them to be.

It is my gain and your loss.

For if you are looking for tangible proofs of His existence, well, I'm sorry for you.

It is by faith without any tangible proofs that he exists, and that is precisely what He desires.

Your faith and nothing of your works is all that is required.

For all the work of righteousness, He has already performed it for you.

Blessings, AJ
One of the reasons I'm a "used to be Christian" is due to this type of thinking.

You are certainly free to have "faith" in anything you want. You are certainly free to "claim" anything you want. However that doesn't make it true.

Athiests would prefer to know the truth based on evidence and not on someone's "faith" in a diety playing some sort of cosmic game of hide and seek.

It seems strange that said diety is "all knowing" but has to hide himself in order to see who has "faith" in him.

I find that kind of in the foolish catagory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,055,492 times
"The fool has said in his heart, 'there is no God.'"

Actually, I have great faith that god is a myth. There is no real reason to believe otherwise.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 AM

39,220 posts, read 10,895,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It is hard to avoid anger when feelings get involved. But, the nice thing about forums is one has a chance to look at old posts and see just how idiotic a person looks when they debate with feelings and not facts. Gets to be a strong incentive to want to avoid posting emotions.

Honest, sincere disagreement based on facts often results in friendship and discourages hatred. True standing up for what one believes to be true earns respect. Slandering/insulting what another person believes to be true earns ridicule and loss of credibility.
Websters was not helpful since it defines slander as the act of slandering. Good ol' Wiki comes to to the rescue.

Defamation—also called calumny, vilification, traducement, slander (for transitory statements), and libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image. It is usually a requirement that this claim be false and that the publication is communicated to someone other than the person defamed (the claimant).[1]

The point that the statement is not true and done merely to give a negative image is the difference between slander and valid discussion.

I could say a lot about trolling, annoyance at a poster who won't listen and the playing of the 'respect' card or variants on 'why don't you go away?' but to save time and get on topic 'The fool hath said in his heart there is no God' is slanderous

'This I why I think it is foolish not to believe in God...' is reasonable discussion.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
I have been a believer in Jesus throughout my life as a Catholic, a Baptist and as a non denominational.

I have dealt with all sorts of beliefs and I can testify, I was never moved from the position of trusting in God to the fullest.

Because mankind fails to maintain a good report with its claims on Christianity, does in no way diminish the existence of God.

here on this forum and on others like this one, I speak to all sorts of belief systems.

It doesn't matter to me what you believe for that is totally up to you to choose.

But if you want to discuss the merits of knowing who and what God is in my life, and how He is my constant complaining during the good times as well as the bad times.

Because of you, "used to be Christians" does in no way sway me to believe that Jesus and God are not what I claim them to be.

It is my gain and your loss.

For if you are looking for tangible proofs of His existence, well, I'm sorry for you.

It is by faith without any tangible proofs that he exists, and that is precisely what He desires.

Your faith and nothing of your works is all that is required.

For all the work of righteousness, He has already performed it for you.

Blessings, AJ
What is comes down to is that you feel so darn pleased with yourself because of your beliefs.

We feel so darn pleased with ourselves because we have others.

So you have no advantage there. We both have air - conditioners. If you are ignorant of or in denial about the fact that we do, your failing.

Where we have the advantage is that we have logical reason and evidence on our side. The evidence for God - belief doesn't stand up as you seem to realize in the admission that it's a waste of time looking for evidence (we know) and one has to rely on Faith (we know that too) and the reasoning is faulty as in your cooling system analogy.

So I reckon we come out ahead.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:48 AM

19,844 posts, read 19,943,516 times
Ignoring the fact that proselytizing is basically what your posts are and not allowed here,what you fail to understand AJ, is that not only did we discover the fact that we do have AC, we also have the joy of realizing we can work all the controls and dont have a manual that tells us....."AC works in mysterious ways" or how to operate it is "Not for us to know"

Old 09-26-2011, 05:06 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,279,412 times
Quote:
I have been a believer in Jesus throughout my life as a Catholic, a Baptist and as a non denominational . . .
Great, so go post in the Christianity forum and LUTHA.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,058,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Great, so go post in the Christianity forum and LUTHA.
Atheist like to post on Christian forums. I know, I respond to them all the time.

I don't condemn anybody, but I do present my views and life's experiences with God as proof of my many blessings, both spiritually and physically.

If you don't have what I got as in an experience with God, then I believe you are missing out.

Now, did that sound like I am condemning you as like many other religions do?

Of course not, for my God paid the price for your soul regardless.

That is a big mystery to many folk and short of any real understanding.

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-26-2011, 10:29 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,279,412 times
Great. So go share your blessings with the folks in the Christianity forum and LUTHA.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,058,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Ignoring the fact that proselytizing is basically what your posts are and not allowed here,what you fail to understand AJ, is that not only did we discover the fact that we do have AC, we also have the joy of realizing we can work all the controls and dont have a manual that tells us....."AC works in mysterious ways" or how to operate it is "Not for us to know"
Relating the physical to the spiritual is not the same. they are both separate and war against each other.

If you did somebody wrong, I mean seriously, and later felt remorse, then you have a spiritual conviction of which can only be from God.

The spiritual side of you exists as Adam, the physical side of you exists as Eve.

The question is, which of the two will rule you, the desires of the flesh or the desire to please God?

The "fool" would let Eve be in command over Adam.

If you get my analogy there?

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-27-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Relating the physical to the spiritual is not the same. they are both separate and war against each other.

If you did somebody wrong, I mean seriously, and later felt remorse, then you have a spiritual conviction of which can only be from God.

The spiritual side of you exists as Adam, the physical side of you exists as Eve.

The question is, which of the two will rule you, the desires of the flesh or the desire to please God?

The "fool" would let Eve be in command over Adam.

If you get my analogy there?

Blessings, AJ
If you did somebody wrong, and I mean enough to feel remorse about, it might be from God, it might be from one of the other gods, it might be from a reasoned feeling for others or it might be an evolved pack instinct. We can't be sure. Those who say they are sure are deluding themselves.

The bigot would insist that Eve never be in command over Adam - even if she could do the job better.

I think you have something to learn before you presume to lecture us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or