U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,740,489 times
Reputation: 1328

Advertisements

faith cant move mountains, unless it is applied correctly as "hope".
where there's a will there's a way to move mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 AM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 13,043,269 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Atheist like to post on Christian forums. I know, I respond to them all the time.

I don't condemn anybody, but I do present my views and life's experiences with God as proof of my many blessings, both spiritually and physically.

If you don't have what I got as in an experience with God, then I believe you are missing out.

Now, did that sound like I am condemning you as like many other religions do?

Of course not, for my God paid the price for your soul regardless.

That is a big mystery to many folk and short of any real understanding.

Blessings, AJ
OK, now.....why do so many christians use the word "proof" when in reality they mean either "belief" or "conjecture"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 AM
 
2,854 posts, read 1,528,694 times
Reputation: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
who created khronos? didnt he and the other "father gods"(titans) spring from unfathomable Chaos? so who would be the always existing? kronus? or Chaos? wasnt kronus deafeated by Zues( his son) and thus the law of heaven changed... wasnt Zeus all knowing and all present? one pagan onto the other, i suppose.
you are confusing cronus with khronos (father time)

khronos came from hydros who came from achlys (mist)

khronos created the khaos

it all depends on your definition of 'is'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,740,489 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
you are confusing cronus with khronos (father time)

khronos came from hydros who came from achlys (mist)

khronos created the khaos

it all depends on your definition of 'is'.
"father time" came from "water"spirit which came from "mist"spirit ??? that sounds all backwards. what in looney-ville was cronus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,092,865 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
faith cant move mountains...where there's a will there's a way to move mountains.
And a Komatsu D575A-2 bulldozer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 11:34 AM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,457,798 times
Reputation: 3945
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Few brave Christians will throw this one out from time to time from Psalm 14:1
The best response to this is Matthew 5:22

"...but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hellfire."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Emerald Coast, FL
5,322 posts, read 8,362,272 times
Reputation: 8665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The best response to this is Matthew 5:22

"...but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hellfire."
Indeed. Terrorists beware (Apache Hellfire Missiles):

HowStuffWorks "Hellfire Missiles"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2011, 04:38 AM
 
39,050 posts, read 10,837,135 times
Reputation: 5083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
OK, now.....why do so many christians use the word "proof" when in reality they mean either "belief" or "conjecture"?
This 'proof' thing is one of the most irritating after misunderstanding of what atheism is or thinks. or what 'God doesn't exist' really means as a logical statement.

Proof is of course sound evidence which to a compelling degree supports a particular hypothesis and obliges one to come to a conclusion.

It can never be 100% proof but it has to be up in the 70 - 80% area to be regarded as compelling proof. Lower than that but above 55% is persuasive but still needs a bit more evidence.

Under the halfway mark and we are talking of unproven and even evidence against because the evidence will of course be predominately pointing to another of the theories. This is why I could not agree with Supersoul's suggestion that a lesser amount of evidence for God was still persuasive. That could only work if one simply is looking around for evidence to support that one conclusion and ignoring any other direction it could point.

That was seen in the lists of Bible proofs with references to Drachmae, Herod's tomb and Sennacherib's seige of Jerusalem. It proved a knowledge of the conditions of the time but did not prove a single thing about the God - claims.

This is of course, the other thing about proof - the way evidence is used. We sometimes hear about 'interpretation'. It is actually easier to illogical self - justifying arguments about facts than to look at them logically, factually and as impartially as we can. I hardly need to rehearse the cut and paste artists who have never even read what they have lifted as 'proof' let alone checked it.

Then we get to who is entitled to decide where the evidence points. It is only too easy for those who find that evaluation of the evidence not going their way to claim bias and if only it was evaluated by a team pf people who agreed with him, the conclusion would go his way.

Thus, while experts in the field should have some weight and peer - review and peer challenge should ensure that it isn't biased, we get this idea that it is all being weighted against the theist and cultists conclusions that theist and cultists are convinced is true. Thus there is a sort of skeptical conspiracy to suppress the truth going on.

To take your point Dusty, of course, personal convictions is proof of nothing. Personal convictions of millions of others is proof of nothing but that millions of people feel the same way. It is illogical, not to say perverse to insist that this should only be interpreted one way and the other alternatives - that it is a human common delusion or that it is the misinterpreted because of traditional anthropomorphisation...(it gets harder to spell all the time ) tendencies not to mention indoctrination of the masses with one particular interpretation.

In the end the 'proof' comes down to whether we trust the corpus of scientifically validated evidence or whether we trust personal conviction. You'd think it was a no brainer, but apparently it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2011, 09:06 AM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,025,476 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Atheist like to post on Christian forums. I know, I respond to them all the time.

I don't condemn anybody, but I do present my views and life's experiences with God as proof of my many blessings, both spiritually and physically.

If you don't have what I got as in an experience with God, then I believe you are missing out.

Now, did that sound like I am condemning you as like many other religions do?

Of course not, for my God paid the price for your soul regardless.

That is a big mystery to many folk and short of any real understanding.

Blessings, AJ
How did he pay the price for the unbeliever's soul?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2011, 02:23 PM
 
7,966 posts, read 5,988,485 times
Reputation: 5621
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
originally it said:
the fool has said in his heart 'the always existing one does not exist'.

thats pretty much the definition of foolishness.

CHRONUS & AEON : Greek protogenos god of time ; mythology ; pictures : KHRONOS & AION

Khronos was represented in Greco-Roman mosaic as Aion, "eternity" personified. He stands against the sky holding a wheel inscribed with the signs of the zodiac. Beneath his feet Gaia (Mother Earth) is usually seen reclining. The poet Nonnus describes Aion as an old man with long white hair and beard. Mosaics, however, present a youthful figure
Interesting, thanks.

Good piece of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top