U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,696,180 times
Reputation: 1351

Advertisements

Few brave Christians will throw this one out from time to time from Psalm 14.1 in reference to atheists (of course you can't call THEM the same thing without being edited, but I digress). Anyway, the scripture is rather interesting to me now I am pondering it. In that ancient world of superstitions and competing deities, were there really people who did NOT believe in some god??? It's hard to imagine, but I guess this implies that even in an ancient world saturated with every type of deity known to man, there were apparently people who knew better. A little closer look at the passage says that "the fool" says it in his heart which causes one to wonder how the writer knew what people were saying in their heads (heart).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2011, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
12,896 posts, read 18,399,081 times
Reputation: 13725
It was the same thing back in Jr High. Back then, if you want to be "cool" and "important" you absolutely had to have Girbaud jeans with the little white tag on the crotch.

Funny I didn't learn the object lesson from Dr Seuss at the time:




...and begged my parents for a pair the crappy, overpriced jeans that were in no way better than plain old levis, so I wouldn't be shunned and cursed at school unitl they finally gave in and got me a pair.

But now that I'm older I can see exactly what's going on. Human Nature.

For religion, that belief in god is the same thing as a white crotch tag or blue star on the belly. It says you are one of the club.

You wouldn't wanna be out of the club would you?! That means you'd have to go it alone out in the desert where you'd be easy picking for raiders and jackals 'n stuff!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,696,180 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It was the same thing back in Jr High. Back then, if you want to be "cool" and "important" you absolutely had to have Girbaud jeans with the little white tag on the crotch.

Funny I didn't learn the object lesson from Dr Seuss at the time:




...and begged my parents for a pair the crappy, overpriced jeans that were in no way better than plain old levis, so I wouldn't be shunned and cursed at school unitl they finally gave in and got me a pair.

But now that I'm older I can see exactly what's going on. Human Nature.

For religion, that belief in god is the same thing as a white crotch tag or blue star on the belly. It says you are one of the club.

You wouldn't wanna be out of the club would you?! That means you'd have to go it alone out in the desert where you'd be easy picking for raiders and jackals 'n stuff!!

Great analogy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 01:39 PM
 
34,049 posts, read 8,740,681 times
Reputation: 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Few brave Christians will throw this one out from time to time from Psalm 14.1 in reference to atheists (of course you can't call THEM the same thing without being edited, but I digress). Anyway, the scripture is rather interesting to me now I am pondering it. In that ancient world of superstitions and competing deities, were there really people who did NOT believe in some god??? It's hard to imagine, but I guess this implies that even in an ancient world saturated with every type of deity known to man, there were apparently people who knew better. A little closer look at the passage says that "the fool" says it in his heart which causes one to wonder how the writer knew what people were saying in their heads (heart).
Interesting point.

Psalms 14.1 Has said (amar) the fool (nabal) his heart (balibow) is no (en) God (elohim). I think the context is not that God doesn't exist but he is not there and doesn't see what they are up to. The context is that David (or his minstrel) is singing: "These bastards think they can do what they like. They think God is not watching. Well, just you wait 'till he vindicates me before mine enemies."

Of course it doesn't matter what the original meaning was. It is today a favourite searing scriptural swipe across the face of atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,304,611 times
Reputation: 5054
Since a person is often judged by the company he keeps, I am pleased that the sort of people who bring that verse up think of me as a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 04:10 PM
 
7,811 posts, read 5,043,923 times
Reputation: 2972
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Few brave Christians will throw this one out from time to time from Psalm 14.1 in reference to atheists (of course you can't call THEM the same thing without being edited, but I digress). Anyway, the scripture is rather interesting to me now I am pondering it. In that ancient world of superstitions and competing deities, were there really people who did NOT believe in some god??? It's hard to imagine, but I guess this implies that even in an ancient world saturated with every type of deity known to man, there were apparently people who knew better. A little closer look at the passage says that "the fool" says it in his heart which causes one to wonder how the writer knew what people were saying in their heads (heart).
It is simply basic rules of advertising and charlatanism.

How many ads on television tell you their product is great, is on limited offer, while stocks last and... "youll be a fool to miss it". I grew up listening to 100s of ads with the line "youll be a fool to miss it" in the slogans somewhere.

The trick is simple. In order to sell a product of idea better, especially a product of idea that is otherwise pretty useless, one of the first tactics one should employ is to make the "mark" feel somehow deficient if they do not buy into it.

This is true of advertising today. It was true back then too. The "mark" is always more likely to buy into what you are selling if you convince them that they will be viewed as somehow deficient if they do not pander to your product.

And with a product as deficient of substantiation and benefits as the god concept, one needs to employ such tactics in force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 04:19 PM
 
705 posts, read 915,400 times
Reputation: 320
I'm not too terribly concerned with a quote from the bible by a delusional type. Like we say in law enforcement, you have to consider the source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 04:30 PM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,194,733 times
Reputation: 3931
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
I'm not too terribly concerned with a quote from the bible by a delusional type. Like we say in law enforcement, you have to consider the source.
Follow the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 03:02 AM
 
34,049 posts, read 8,740,681 times
Reputation: 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Follow the money.
The fool had said No God..you're not a Fool are you? (thanks Nozz) Very well, inside you go....bums (and drunks) on seats... pass the plate round.

Yep. That works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 04:06 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,303 posts, read 1,801,820 times
Reputation: 710
What's funny is there's no shortage of fools out there who believe there is a God.

There were certainly people back then asking the same questions we do today. And of course they were being shouted down by people of the same/similar profession who do it today to doubters. Some things never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 AM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top