U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 07:50 AM

4,400 posts, read 2,985,173 times

Advertisements

I love the utopia I live in. I live in St. Louis County, MO and have gone to college in southeast Missouri. I've been in Boy Scouts, and when I was younger a couple times, attempted to convert other Boy Scouts to agnosticism. It didn't work, but nobody cared. In college, I was in a community service group where myself and one other person were the only non-Christians out of over 100 people. Nobody cared. At least one of those Christians believed certain radio songs encouraged people to worship Satan. I suspect a couple more believed in witchraft. Most atheists I've known don't seem to view themselves as having any more kinship with atheists than Christians. The closest experience I've seen, where I've lived, to any level of intolerance towards non-Christians of any kind, has been some guy who came to our college and essentially yelled that everyone was going to hell except for his tiny denomination of Christianity. I've never seen any intolerance towards Muslims either, where I've lived, and not any hints of it towards Jews or Catholics, or any particular denomination of Protestant Christianity. Even saying negative things about Westborough Baptist Church seems to be somewhat controversial, as when a friend added me to a facebook group poking fun at Westborough Baptist Church, and I posted a remark that I did not like being added to groups without my consent, for some reason he jumped to defending the facebook group as not being a hate group, but more of a tongue-and-cheek group. I find Westborough Baptist Church bashing jokes to be hilarious. If not for the internet and the news, and knowledge of election winners, I'd assume religion causes no major problems whatsoever. I'd be a lot happier ignoring all of you angry people, and never watching the news, and living in the bliss of ignorance. Although some people where I've lived don't like black people, which is disturbing...so I guess it's not a utopia for everyone.

For the atheists who have a genuine hatred of religion (and several of you have said you hate religion, but not people, or lack respect for religion, but not people) Is it primarily due to personal experiences, or is it mostly due to news, and historical accounts, and etc? or is it just a matter of...people need to be truthful? or is it a mixture of the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,097,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
For the atheists who have a genuine hatred of religion (and several of you have said you hate religion, but not people, or lack respect for religion, but not people) Is it primarily due to personal experiences, or is it mostly due to news, and historical accounts, and etc? or is it just a matter of...people need to be truthful? or is it a mixture of the above?
I don't particularly feel hatred toward all religion. Perhaps what I feel toward the Abrahamic religions is hatred, but I think of it more as loathing or disgust. That said, my feelings stem from very personal experiences. I've said elsewhere that I was a Fundamental Christian for years (10+) so I've been on both sides of the track. The groups and/or people I worked with and worshiped with pushed me away from the church and heavily contributed to my disdain for Fundamental Christianity. After I left the church, I read (and continue to read) about historical and political accounts.

I think there are a lot of people like you. For example, my mother has very little personal negative experience with religion. She stays away from all of it so she couldn't cite any specific examples of "misconduct". Lots of people I know are like her. They don't understand why my husband and I left the church or why we are passionately opposed to Fundamental Christianity. Actually, until I began understanding the long historical battle between belief and disbelief, I was much more antagonistic and nasty.

In short, my experiences turned me against my Fundamental background. Reading tempered it but turned me against the Abrahamic religions. So, I guess for me it's a mixture, though I don't have negative feelings toward religions like Buddhism or Taoism.

Note: I make a difference between Fundamentalism and the other variations of Christianity because I have no personal experience with, say, Lutherans, Seventh Day Adventists or Mormons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism