Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times

Advertisements

10 Myths Many Religious People Hold About Atheists, Debunked | | AlterNet

Here's one excerpt in relation to believers making the ridiculous claim that "atheism is just another kind of faith":

Quote:
I always flinch in embarrassment for the believer who trots out, “Atheism is just another kind of faith,” because it’s a tacit admission that taking claims on faith is a silly thing to do. When you’ve succumbed to arguing that the opposition is just as misguided as you are, it’s time to take a step back and rethink your attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
Interesting.

1) There are no atheists in foxholes. No point. I can't imaging running to religion for any reason.
2) Atheists are just angry with God. How can I be angry at something that does not exist?
3) Atheists are aggressive and rude. Never. I have no desire in making non-believers look bad and no one would know unless asked.
4) Atheism is a white dude thing. Black chick, here!
5) Atheism is just a faith like any other. How can it be a faith when there is no belief system?
6) Atheists don’t have a moral code. Morals exist without religion. They did not invent them.
7) Atheist lives are bleak and lack meaning. Yeah right! Based on what? Life is just as fulfilling, if not more! I can live exactly how I chose and not feel guilty about it.
8) Atheists are hedonists who don’t understand the true meaning of love. Total bunk.
9) Atheists have no way to cope after losing loved ones without the belief in an afterlife. More bunk. Again, you don't need religion to learn coping methods. I actually am more conforted in knowing that when my loved ones die, it is the end, instead of worrying about their position in an afterlife. For me, it creates a greater appreciation of them while alive.
10) Atheists are out to destroy Christmas. Good one? I love Xmas!! Not the birth of Jesus story but the regular commercial holiday. Gifts, food, family, friends, music, decorations? All great fun. Still my favorite holiday!

And even more enjoyable without having to go to church. Yay!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 AM

24 posts, read 20,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Interesting.

1) There are no atheists in foxholes. No point. I can't imaging running to religion for any reason.
2) Atheists are just angry with God. How can I be angry at something that does not exist?
3) Atheists are aggressive and rude. Never. I have no desire in making non-believers look bad and no one would know unless asked.
4) Atheism is a white dude thing. Black chick, here!
5) Atheism is just a faith like any other. How can it be a faith when there is no belief system?
6) Atheists don’t have a moral code. Morals exist without religion. They did not invent them.
7) Atheist lives are bleak and lack meaning. Yeah right! Based on what? Life is just as fulfilling, if not more! I can live exactly how I chose and not feel guilty about it.
8) Atheists are hedonists who don’t understand the true meaning of love. Total bunk.
9) Atheists have no way to cope after losing loved ones without the belief in an afterlife. More bunk. Again, you don't need religion to learn coping methods. I actually am more conforted in knowing that when my loved ones die, it is the end, instead of worrying about their position in an afterlife. For me, it creates a greater appreciation of them while alive.
10) Atheists are out to destroy Christmas. Good one? I love Xmas!! Not the birth of Jesus story but the regular commercial holiday. Gifts, food, family, friends, music, decorations? All great fun. Still my favorite holiday!

And even more enjoyable without having to go to church. Yay!!!
Well said, crabcakes. My wife and I are atheists, and I've never seen a woman more nuts about Xmas. The tree (pagan roots) the lights (pagan roots), the gifts, decorations, the food, etc. It's every bit as much a celebration for us as the jesus freaks down the street.

Jesus? Meh. Made-up saviors aren't for me. Sure, some of his philosophies were cool, but Buddha is more eloquent, and makes mor sense.

For me, "satan" is represented by holiday traffic near the mall.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell99 View Post
For me, "satan" is represented by holiday traffic near the mall.
Ain't it the truth. The Internet (shopping) is your friend!

Miss Crabcakes: Well said, indeed!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:55 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
1) There are no atheists in foxholes. As a firefighter have been in some tight spots. The last thing I needed to do was to try and wish my way to safety. 2 hands working accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer.
2) Atheists are just angry with God. That is the definition of stupidity, being mad at the non-existent.
3) Atheists are aggressive and rude.No, it is a my defense against stupidity of religion in all it silliness and absurdity, and I will get in anyone's face that tries to force their stupid superstition upon me, or society.
4) Atheism is a white dude thing. Even as a white dude, never head this..
5) Atheism is just a faith like any other. proof of their stupidity and inability to view reality. Guess they also think not collecting stamps is a hobby.
6) Atheists don’t have a moral code. I would say the opposite, believers develop morals out of irrational fears (hell, etc) where atheists have a true personal moral compass.
7) Atheist lives are bleak and lack meaning. Without a head full of silly superstitions I am free to enjoy life, love, and the wonders of nature.
8) Atheists are hedonists who don’t understand the true meaning of love. Yet the believers are the one's so preoccupied with their hatred.
9) Atheists have no way to cope after losing loved ones without the belief in an afterlife. We all grieve over the loss of a love one, even a pet, but I'm honest enough to know they are gone. I don't need to pacify myself with the absurdity of afterlife, because I don't have the courage to recognize they are just gone.
10) Atheists are out to destroy Christmas. Before I retired, a day off with pay was always a good thing.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:39 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
1) There are no atheists in foxholes. This has been proven time and time again to be a lie perpetuated by theists.

2) Atheists are just angry with God. The definition of atheism is a lack of belief in gods, so it's a bit hard to be angry and something you do not believe exists.

3) Atheists are aggressive and rude. Some may well be, everyone is human and has their faults, just like religious people.

4) Atheism is a white dude thing. White woman here.

5) Atheism is just a faith like any other.Atheism does not fit any criteria for a faith-based system.

6) Atheists don’t have a moral code. Most atheists obey the law and have their set of values quite apart from religion. And if we're going to discuss moral values from the koran or bible, then you're in big trouble.

7) Atheist lives are bleak and lack meaning. I personally have never been happier since I left religion behind.

8) Atheists are hedonists who don’t understand the true meaning of love. Love does not require anyone to have religion, love is an emotion.

9) Atheists have no way to cope after losing loved ones without the belief in an afterlife. We all cope with losing loved ones, it is part of the life cycle.

10) Atheists are out to destroy Christmas. There is no destroying one of the most commercially lucrative holidays in the world.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:41 PM

30 posts, read 39,804 times
I may as well get in on this...

1) There are no atheists in foxholes. Pat Tillman called, and he wants to break your face.
2) Atheists are just angry with God. So, impliedly, this presupposes atheists don't exist, because it says we're lying to ourselves. Then why the assumptions about us if we don't exist?
3) Atheists are aggressive and rude. Yes, we're the rude ones, massacring Indians in the name of Christ, telling gays they cannot marry, burning symbols of our faith on the lawns of those of color. Yep, atheists!
4) Atheism is a white dude thing. First time I've heard this one. But the blonde-haired, blue-eyed Jesus should approve, right?
5) Atheism is just a faith like any other. Bald is a hair-color, like any other.
6) Atheists don’t have a moral code. If a "moral code" is "don't mix your livestock, especially on Saturday, or we'll kill you", then please, keep your moral codes.
7) Atheist lives are bleak and lack meaning. Hell no! I instantly freed up a good 3-4 hours on Sunday for nature walks, sex, NFL football, and breakfast!
8) Atheists are hedonists who don’t understand the true meaning of love. Nothing wrong with a little hedonism now and then, but only because I love my wife. Woops!
9) Atheists have no way to cope after losing loved ones without the belief in an afterlife. Yet somehow, we do it. By the way, is this proof of God's existence, or just proof that religious nutjobs WISH he existed?
10) Atheists are out to destroy Christmas. Christians already destroyed Xmas a long time ago.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:45 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Actually, that is the one thing I sometimes struggle with. I grew up Catholic, and it used to provide a lot of comfort to me to feel that I would see my loved ones again in "the afterlife." I also took an "all dogs go to heaven" kind of approach. Yes, not even the Catholic Church talks about animals having souls--it was more of a belief that in the peace of my death, the love and spirit of all who were in my life would surround me, including pets.

Well, one of my beloved birdies passed away last week, and quite a few well-meaning friends and family members said things like "You'll see him again someday."

That dredged up all of those thoughts again. I'd really love to believe that. I want to believe that, like I want to believe that I'll see my parents again. But I just don't.

That's really the only thing I'm still learning to handle, several years after coming to my conclusion that there is no deity and that when you get right down to it, we're all just biology. "Intelligent" biology, sentient biology, but biology nonetheless.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:47 PM

30 posts, read 39,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Actually, that is the one thing I sometimes struggle with. I grew up Catholic, and it used to provide a lot of comfort to me to feel that I would see my loved ones again in "the afterlife." I also took an "all dogs go to heaven" kind of approach. Yes, not even the Catholic Church talks about animals having souls--it was more of a belief that in the peace of my death, the love and spirit of all who were in my life would surround me, including pets.

Well, one of my beloved birdies passed away last week, and quite a few well-meaning friends and family members said things like "You'll see him again someday."

That dredged up all of those thoughts again. I'd really love to believe that. I want to believe that, like I want to believe that I'll see my parents again. But I just don't.

That's really the only thing I'm still learning to handle, several years after coming to my conclusion that there is no deity and that when you get right down to it, we're all just biology.
Look at it this way: When you die, you will no longer suffer the burden of missing the pets or the people. So in a way, you DO see them again -- or at least no longer miss them.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:04 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee78 View Post
Look at it this way: When you die, you will no longer suffer the burden of missing the pets or the people. So in a way, you DO see them again -- or at least no longer miss them.
Well, when I die, will be no more "me" to miss or not miss someone, if that makes any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism