U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 03:46 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times

Advertisements

The story goes that Ray *banana man* Comfort actually presented this to Dawkins and wanted his...... well, see the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
I had to post this slide from Dawkins at the Convention-2011_10_09_richard_dawkins_slide_02.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 04:30 PM

8 posts, read 2,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The story goes that Ray *banana man* Comfort actually presented this to Dawkins and wanted his...... well, see the picture.

I'd love to see Dawkins thoughts on that movie. It was well-done and thought-provoking. I doubt any atheist here has the guts to watch it all the way through.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,569,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndAnother? View Post
I doubt any atheist here has the guts to watch it all the way through.

Why? Is it scary? It isn't about that girl that comes out of the tv set is it?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:41 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,062,995 times
Default You gotta be kidding me!

Ray Comfort's filmographic efforts have traditionally been wildly, pathologically inept and mis-directed. His so-called talking points always miss the boat, including his famous "It was designed by God just to fit our hand!" banana Theism.

Of course, we all know the real story on banana development, right? I mean, right? (Unless some Christians actually believe that idiotic tripe. Nah... no-one could be that daft or naivé... could they?)

Old 10-14-2011, 01:49 AM

7,811 posts, read 5,059,606 times
Quote:
I'd love to see Dawkins thoughts on that movie. It was well-done and thought-provoking. I doubt any atheist here has the guts to watch it all the way through.
You mean 180 the pro life "documentary"? I am not sure what you think so scary about it. There is nothing new in it that I have seen that has not been long part of the pro life "position".

Maybe I have missed something though. Perhaps you can adumbrate what you feel is so powerful, new, scary or even interesting in it that I clearly did not pick up on?

As for watching it all the way through, it is only barely over the half hour of length. I think our attention spans might be somewhat more developed than you give credit for.

In fact a chunk of that 30 minutes is not even about religion or abortion or anything, but is a pointless exercise in interviewing people on the street to see if they had ever heard of Hitler. A surprising number had not but this is a reflection on the state of the US education system more than anything else.

Comforts "point" if it could be called that is that he wishes to equate abortion to the actions of Hitler. A weak link if ever there was one. When this does not work on some people he comes out with an even more ridiculous analogy of comparing abortion to blowing up a building without being sure there is no one in the building.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 AM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Yeah, I watched it and thought it was bunk. The fact that the people he interviewed were basically bullied into changing their positions on abortion makes me sad for their lack of conviction. The fact that so many had never heard of Hitler was pretty weird to me. I wonder where he found all these folks anyway.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:27 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,826,485 times
Quote:
Whenever you see a fundie make a statement like the above you can almost guarantee that the cited fundie propaganda film/book/whatever is anything BUT "thought-provoking" and in fact a complete farce and embarrassment to intellect and rationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism