U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,919,494 times

Advertisements

Richard Dawkins Event Banned by Michigan Country Club | Center for Inquiry

Quote:
The Wyndgate terminated the agreement after the owner saw an October 5th interview with Dawkins on The O’Reilly Factor in which Dawkins discussed his new book, The Magic of Reality: How We Know What’s Really True.

In a phone call to CFI–Michigan Assistant Director Jennifer Beahan, The Wyndgate’s representative explained that the owner did not wish to associate with individuals such as Dawkins, or his philosophies.
Here is the interview with Dawkins

Bill O'Reilly vs. Richard Dawkins on 'The Magic of Reality' - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 12:59 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,252,936 times
Default Disgust, excitement, dissapointment in under 2 minutes...

Nana,

You really caused a mini-storm of emotion in my cubicle at work!

I read your post and the article and was disgusted that someone would behave in such a discriminatory way.

Then I got really excited, because I live in Rochester Hills! How in the world did I not know about this?!? They are still holding the diner, they just moved it. To a hotel 2 miles from my house!

Finally, disappointment, because they are sold out. So even though Dawkins will be appearing within walking distance of my front door, I can't go. Oh well, my wife is out of town, and if I went without her, she would be really jealous.

Man I wish I had known about this! I gotta keep track of the CFI calendar better.

NoCapo

Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 PM

40 posts, read 48,868 times
Did they really not understand who they were getting when they got Richard Dawkins? Wow.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:41 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,994,349 times
"...the owner did not wish to associate with individuals such as Dawkins, or his philosophies."

Too large a step up for him, I suppose.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 AM

40 posts, read 48,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
"...the owner did not wish to associate with individuals such as Dawkins, or his philosophies."

Too large a step up for him, I suppose.
Indeed. Some people are just not ready to evolve.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:46 PM

7 posts, read 4,338 times
Dawkins is just a horrible philosopher. His arguments completely lack any coherence and are very simple to defeat.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:56 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,097,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankUMayIHaveAnother? View Post
Dawkins is just a horrible philosopher. His arguments completely lack any coherence and are very simple to defeat.
And your published books on the subject are?

Old 10-13-2011, 04:01 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,741,560 times
Quote:

Old 10-13-2011, 04:20 PM

8 posts, read 2,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
And your published books on the subject are?

Anyone can publish a book. Making one worth reading is another story.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,379,377 times
Quote:
Now that's funny! And your contributions are?

BTW, Dawkins so thoroughly dismembers traditional Godly arguments that it is, I'll agree, not quite fair to the lesser-educated, lesser-thought-out set. You know; the Country Club Christians?

Thank Gawd for Dr. Dawkins clarity and insights. Oh yeah, and his ability to get his ideas across. (As for him being "defeated" in any true and fairly adjudicated debate, I've never seen that. I've only seen him being snubbed when his points get too close to home for the intransigent set! And then they get all snippy and trite! Funny to watch, actually! Kudos to the good Doctor!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism