U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 AM

30,934 posts, read 31,858,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I chat with atheists all the time.

You seldom address ALL of my points in a post.

I dont have any strawmen...I know atheism quite well, have dialogued with countless atheist wannabes, and considered myself one for a good 10 adult years as evidenced by pretending given enough time and chance anything can happen ... even nullifying established laws of science to get there, persecuted Christians/Theists/and The Christian Church, mocked God , displayed typical anti-God behavior in public , and of course hanging with like-minded Atheists who had the same defeatist attitudes that arise from a worldview of everything being utterly meaningless, unpurposed, and hopeless . When are we going to hear your journey from Christian/Theist to Atheist based on sound reason , rationale, and real science ?
Why don't I believe that you were ever an atheist?...I'll tell you why...You have expressed so many false ideas of what atheists are, what we believe, and how we behave, that there is no way in hell you could possibly have ever been one of us.

In the time I have been on this forum I have seen several theists see the light and leave their faith behind, but I have yet to see one atheist or agnostic join the other team...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:06 PM

431 posts, read 399,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why don't I believe that you were ever an atheist?...I'll tell you why...You have expressed so many false ideas of what atheists are, what we believe, and how we behave, that there is no way in hell you could possibly have ever been one of us.

In the time I have been on this forum I have seen several theists see the light and leave their faith behind, but I have yet to see one atheist or agnostic join the other team...
Dont waste your time responding to him he is just a no nothing religious bigot who thinks he is holier than thou .
he does,nt know how atheist behave and he does,nt know how christians do either
just likes to run his mouth

Old 11-22-2011, 09:15 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,359,449 times
Quote:
What about Wicksramasinghe who came up with the same calculation and Crick who affirmed its probability ? Further, your argument of a piecemealed process of a DNA molecule being more credible versus the whole, is absurd ; you dont get a fully functioning DNA molecule piecemealed ------- abiogenesis disregards the established law of Biology whereby life only comes from life itself...and this has never ever been controverted .

Theres plenty of people born in other countries that become followers of Christ either soon in their life or later on. There is an account of a woman in Russia who was walking along a busy downtown street and a Bible written in english fell on her head out of a window above ; she couldnt read english so she took courses in english, read the Bible, and became a Christian.

Its actually atheism which requires a person be willfully self decieved in order to keep denying the obvious of all things : A personal intelligent theistic Creator for our incredibly fine tuned personal Cosmos . Suppressing ones intrinsic knowledge and obvious evidences of purposed design so one can live completely autonomous , without ultimate moral accountability, and so not be owned....is the highest example of self deciet ; man made desperate philosophies and theories like a human brain ultimately coming from dead accidental chemicals in some soup pond (yet technologically advanced Mankind not being able to produce anything near it) , shows the level of willful self deciet. It would be far easier for your hand held circular saw to turn into a jigsaw by placing it in your garage and setting off bombs every 5 seconds for 1.5 billion years ..... yet youd never think it could be accomplished.
Look, there's no reason for people like you and I to have an adversarial relationship. Most atheists have a very "live and let live" attitude as do most Christians. Its the radicals on both sides that cause all the problems and you are more than a bit radical. Its difficult for me to believe that you were ever an atheist as you claim because you hold so many views about atheists that are contrary to what the majority of them believe as well as the way that they conduct themselves in society at large.

For example, you have repeatedly described atheists as amoral which is completely ridiculous. From what I've seen in my 39 years on this planet an individual's underlying religious or philosophical framework has little impact on his/her morality or lack thereof. Witness the many scandals that run the gamut between prostitutes and televangelists to restroom gay sex propositions among the supposedly above reproach all the way up to priesthood pedophilia. Are there atheists that engage in these same activities? Sure there are and that's my point. To borrow a phrase from your mythology: we are all sinners.

To sum up, I have known atheists that I would trust with my life and Christians that I wouldn't trust with a nickel and vice versa so lay off of the Haterade.

I will say this for our side though: because an atheist's morality is unmotivated by fears of burning in everlasting hell fire it could be argued that its more altruistic and admirable. Just a thought.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,599,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
For example, you have repeatedly described atheists as amoral which is completely ridiculous. From what I've seen in my 39 years on this planet an individual's underlying religious or philosophical framework has little impact on his/her morality or lack thereof. Witness the many scandals that run the gamut between prostitutes and televangelists to restroom gay sex propositions among the supposedly above reproach all the way up to priesthood pedophilia. Are there atheists that engage in these same activities? Sure there are and that's my point. To borrow a phrase from your mythology: we are all sinners.

To sum up, I have known atheists that I would trust with my life and Christians that I wouldn't trust with a nickel and vice versa so lay off of the Haterade.
This is so true, and is the primary reason I find myself drifting towards apatheism. Who really cares if someone believes in god or not? It has no real impact on one's character, lifestyle, personality, moral fiber, or life goals, all of which are far more important in building relationships/friendships than religion or lack thereof. Does it even really matter if there is a god? If one exists, it is obvious that he/she/it is totally unconcerned with the affairs of humanity. So why worry about it? Just love your family, appreciate your friends, do your job to the best of your abilities, help those in need, and live your life to the fullest. That's all that really matters.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:56 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,300,144 times
Quote:
I chat with atheists all the time.
Says you, but unverifiable, possibly made up, anecdote is not useful here. I simply do not believe what you are claiming. Further to this judging by your style of posting on this forum you do not talk WITH them at all. You talk AT them. You are more interested in telling them what you think their claims and positions are than actually listening to what they are. As I said, your strawmen are precious to you and you will not be letting go of them easily.

And until you can even get the very basics right by learning the difference between saying "There is no X" and "There is no reason at all to think there is X" you will continue to have your strawman and you will continue to cling to it like a security blanket and you will continue to be talking at people rather than with them. Posts 121 to 123 above show I am far from the only person to recognise this in your either. You simply have your straw men of what atheists say, are and what they think and you are perfectly happy to keep trolling a forum such as this espousing that rather than actually listening to what they DO say, do and think.

And that strawman allows you to troll forums such as this claiming things like atheists have no meaning, purpose or hope in life. Claims you make regardless of the fact that the world is full of such people who clearly life their life in ways that are entirely contrary to your fantasy claims. When the reality in the world is so far removed from the fantasy you espouse, it might be time to re-evaluate your conclusions.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:40 PM

431 posts, read 399,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Says you, but unverifiable, possibly made up, anecdote is not useful here. I simply do not believe what you are claiming. Further to this judging by your style of posting on this forum you do not talk WITH them at all. You talk AT them. You are more interested in telling them what you think their claims and positions are than actually listening to what they are. As I said, your strawmen are precious to you and you will not be letting go of them easily.

And until you can even get the very basics right by learning the difference between saying "There is no X" and "There is no reason at all to think there is X" you will continue to have your strawman and you will continue to cling to it like a security blanket and you will continue to be talking at people rather than with them. Posts 121 to 123 above show I am far from the only person to recognise this in your either. You simply have your straw men of what atheists say, are and what they think and you are perfectly happy to keep trolling a forum such as this espousing that rather than actually listening to what they DO say, do and think.

And that strawman allows you to troll forums such as this claiming things like atheists have no meaning, purpose or hope in life. Claims you make regardless of the fact that the world is full of such people who clearly life their life in ways that are entirely contrary to your fantasy claims. When the reality in the world is so far removed from the fantasy you espouse, it might be time to re-evaluate your conclusions.

I simply do not believe what you are claiming. Further to this judging by your style of posting on this forum you do not talk WITH them at all. You talk AT them. You are more interested in telling them what you think their claims and positions are than actually listening to what they are.
WELL SAID

Old 11-29-2011, 07:41 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,933,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

Seems independent Studies say that Im accurate in my analysis...and yes, I was once an atheist . Please bear in mind that i do not hate atheist people...just the harmful destructive ideologies and constructs of atheism :

1. 'A 2006 study by researchers at the University of
Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in
the United States found atheists to be the most
distrusted of minorities, more so than Muslims,
recent immigrants, gays and lesbians, and other
groups. Many of the respondents associated
atheism with immorality, including criminal behaviour'

2. http://www.godandscience.org/apologe...e_immoral.html

Old 11-29-2011, 07:50 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,606,515 times
No True Scotsman, eh sanspeur?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,300,144 times
Quote:
just the harmful destructive ideologies and constructs of atheism
The ones you simply make up and assign to them even though they do not hold them you mean. Do your own straw men keep you awake at night son?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:14 PM

30,934 posts, read 31,858,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
No True Scotsman, eh sanspeur?
Not really...One who has a bunch of incorrect asinine assumptions about what an atheist is can hardly claim to have ever been one...The ONLY qualification for being an atheist is non belief in deities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism