U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:38 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,969,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
I think that it would be awesome if we did. Either that or at least a person that is secular--Obama does seem pretty secular, though he has stated many times hes christian.
Oh, I agree, it would be great. It would be great if the citizens of this country were intelligent enough to even consider the possibility, for there are still many loons that really think atheists eat babies.

You can't fix stupid*

* actually stupid can be fixed, but it is going to take a long time and a great deal of education to do so, and I really expect that the stupid will destroy us all before this can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,892,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Oh, I agree, it would be great. It would be great if the citizens of this country were intelligent enough to even consider the possibility, for there are still many loons that really think atheists eat babies.

You can't fix stupid*

* actually stupid can be fixed, but it is going to take a long time and a great deal of education to do so, and I really expect that the stupid will destroy us all before this can happen.
You know I'm a pretty quite person but the points you make really give me pause. Maybe it's time that Atheists do try to educate the public. If we are more active in educating the public our "eating babies" reputation might just be put to rest. Food for though.

I usually try and give people the benefit of the doubt, but it seems ignorance may not be bliss on our end. I can't believe how ignorant some people can actually be. I have a hard time believing they believe their own hype. But, religion does seem to be a team sport. It only takes one person shouting "baby killer" to get the whole crowd riled up and if that person is an idiot you end up having a whole crowd of idiots in seconds.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:57 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,969,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
You know I'm a pretty quite person but the points you make really give me pause. Maybe it's time that Atheists do try to educate the public. If we are more active in educating the public our "eating babies" reputation might just be put to rest. Food for though.

I usually try and give people the benefit of the doubt, but it seems ignorance may not be bliss on our end. I can't believe how ignorant some people can actually be. I have a hard time believing they believe their own hype. But, religion does seem to be a team sport. It only takes one person shouting "baby killer" to get the whole crowd riled up and if that person is an idiot you end up having a whole crowd of idiots in seconds.
Theists love to follow, (hey, they coined the term 'flock', not me ) and the do it very well.

• Theists will tell you what to think, for this is how they are 'trained';
  • Atheists will just challenge you to think, for we have been allowed to think, or learned how as part of our self-rescue from the ignorance of long dead goat herders;

But that is going to be very hard to accomplish while they are so tightly yoked to the ignorance of bronze age goat herders.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:44 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,336,046 times
As had already been wrote, there is no way an "out and proud" atheist would win a Presidential election in the U.S. At least no time soon in this current climate of neo-Cons and extreme Right-wingers. Obama won by carrying the minority vote (if I remember correctly, he got a low, low percentage of white votes), and having elected a black man to The Office of President of the United States has changed who can be elected to The Office. So, perhaps somewhere down the line.

There where a few Presidents who where deists, but I believe they were around the time of the Founding Fathers, or shortly there after. There were also a few Unitarians and non-Trinitarian Presidents...and a handful who are labeled as "irreligious", in which their religious affiliation is unknown, or they displayed little or no information indicating the role or importance of Religion in their lives.

Now, do we need one? Why? It is ignorant to believe that America "needs" an atheist President let alone believing that an atheist President would be what is best for the country.

What is best for the Country is a President who understands that it takes all kinds of people to make the World go 'round and that no-one is above or below anyone else. That we are all equal, regardless of belief system. America needs an atheist President just as much as it needs a Muslim President or a Jewish President or Hindi President or a Lesbian President or a fat President or a skinny President.

A Presidents religious beliefs should not be a factor of his Presidency. And keep in mind that freedom of religion also implies freedom from religion. So, a Presidents atheist beliefs should also not be a factor.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,425,938 times
Default The laws have changed but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
One of your mythology's central tenants declares that all human beings are sinners -even born again Christians. In other words, even though they may be redeemed of their sins by the grace of your mythology's God, they are still doomed to sin therefore the distinction between people who you believe to be Christians and those who you believe to be merely claiming to be Christians is meaningless. All people sin. All Christians sin.

Oh where to begin?

As I've addressed in previous threads, many theists suffer from a very peculiar perceptual distortion thought to be the result of the willful suspension of rational thought combined with the many vagueries of perception produced by the synaptic misfirings of their delusion enraptured grey matter. This pathology invariably induces in its helpless victim the erroneous belief that atheists are atheists because they simply do not wish to be constrained by moral considerations. The idea that atheism is adopted for intellectual reasons by an act of free will is never considered. The fact that the atheist's sense of morality is unmotivated by fears of burning in everlasting hell fire and therefore more altruistic and admirable is lost on this poor creature. The sufferer may also believe that atheists eat babies under the pale of a full moon at midnight.

Discussing the Theory of Evolution with the patient is contraindicated. It is simply an exercise in futility because its never an informed debate and will only serve to reinforce and exacerbate the afflicted's delusions. For example: he/she may repeatedly cite Hoyle's Fallacy (1 in 10^40,000) regardless of how many times it has been thoroughly debunked.

The failure of the American legal system to legitimize and lionize his many petty prejudices leads to fits of irrational anger unresponsive to lithium and other mood stabilizers.

Prognosis: poor.

The afflicted may also labor under the delusion that the United States was founded on the Christian faith in spite of the fact that most of the more influential Founding Fathers were Deists and were well aware of the dangers to liberty posed by religion and took great pains to limit its influence. He/she will cite the word "Creator" in founding documents as proof that the framers were Christian even though in their Deistic minds the term was more akin to the Native American "Great Spirit." Claims that American law is founded on the Biblical 10 Commandments are common despite the fact that the first four commandments deal strictly with religious observance and have no moral or legal value.
unquote

Not only the first 4 commandments but most of them have no place in american law .history or morals

there isnt a provision in usa law making adultery a offence .

neither is there any law commanding you honour your father and mother .

only 2 that apply are murder /kill and stealing
these or course are and have been outlawed in all societies for centuries .
dont need a * book of fairy stories *for society to condemm those acts .[/quote]I think you can still be court martialed for Adultery...........Unless you are comander in Chief

Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,920,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
would that make a fair President?
No, having an atheist-wannabe for President would greatly undermine our Founding Fathers and their love for the Biblical Creator , Jesus Christ. ...and for the Judeo-Christian principles they desired for all future generations including the Declaration of Independence whereby Man has intrinsic worth and dignity because of the CREATOR (note : No mention of the Pond Protozoa at all) . The Founding Fathers also wanted Christian ethics , principles, and morals to abide in U.S. Government .

Dont believe in what i said above ??? : http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissuesArticles.asp?id=78

Old 07-23-2012, 03:59 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,222,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
No, having an atheist-wannabe for President would greatly undermine our Founding Fathers and their love for the Biblical Creator , Jesus Christ. ...and for the Judeo-Christian principles they desired for all future generations including the Declaration of Independence whereby Man has intrinsic worth and dignity because of the CREATOR (note : No mention of the Pond Protozoa at all) . The Founding Fathers also wanted Christian ethics , principles, and morals to abide in U.S. Government .

Dont believe in what i said above ??? : WallBuilders - Historical Writings - The Founders As Christians

U.S was not created as a christian nation ruled by christian laws. God and Jesus are not in the constitution

treaty of tripoli

Old 07-24-2012, 12:34 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,976,522 times
I would love to see an atheist president. Yes.

I would love to go back in time and meet Thomas Jefferson. The more I learn about him (as in, not what I was forced to read in high school but instead what people really analyze about him, I am moving him up and up on my list of people I would like to meet. We need a president like him now, although given that todays nation is so vastly different in terms of political issues than his was, I think his wisdom and reason would still be beneficial.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,165,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post

Dont believe in what i said above ??? : WallBuilders - Historical Writings - The Founders As Christians
It is unamerican to want the United States to be a Christian Nation. You're being a bad American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism