U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 AM
 
Location: KYLE TEXAS
431 posts, read 397,489 times
Reputation: 278

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I doubt I'll ever see it happen. Predjudice against atheists is just far too strong, just look at the post above mine. A leader must be spiritual. What a crock. There is no religious test for the office of the Presidency and no reason why an atheist could not do it as well as a spiritualist.

However, I honestly never thought I'd see a black President in my lifetime, and yet there he is. You never know what the future may hold.
I agree there is no reason /or evidence to suggest a atheist president would be any lesser moral /able person then one who subscribes to a perticular faith .
in fact most atheist i know have a open mind about others folks beliefs and faiths .

like me if you want to believe in a supreme being *** all power to your elbow .*** the problem comes when YOU want me to live my life according to YOUR faith .
most atheist want to live their personal life as they choose and respect your right to do the same .

no wars have ever been started by atheist thats more then i can say for religion .

once again the idea that a atheist would' nt or could'nt serve as a honorable and respected president is more * we are better then you * religious bull **** .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM
 
Location: KYLE TEXAS
431 posts, read 397,489 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I would be opposed to an Athiest. It would be great not to have a Christian right wackjob like Perry not around, but a leader should have some sort of spirituality. An open minded person who observes various faiths and even believes in Aliens would get my vote.
how about one that believes in santa and the tooth fairy?

Or on a more serious note how about one who believes in the right of citizens to choice and practice whatever they believe with no interferance from govt as long as they dont obstruct another citizen from doing the same ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Ostend,Belgium....
8,820 posts, read 6,361,885 times
Reputation: 4885
I doubt the US would tolerate an openly atheist president...maybe in the far away future but not yet....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 03:07 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times
Reputation: 3984
Do we need an Athiest for President?


I think it would be nice having a President whos' judgement is not clouded over with mythology! But.....I will agree that, in all probability, it ain't gonna happen this coming election time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 02:52 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,800,908 times
Reputation: 1573
How about a homosexual for president?
Or better yet.....a woman?
I mean how is religion, sexual orientation or even gender relevant?

Heck our Dutch PM doesn't have a girlfriend so many 'suspect' him of being gay, but does that even matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,886 posts, read 4,187,044 times
Reputation: 4161
I don't vote for candidates based on their religious beliefs, or lack of religious beliefs. As long as a candidate supports liberty, peace, sound money, and limited government they have my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
would that make a fair President?
Provided He/She did not have the agenda of bringing an end to theism.


Because this is a Nation of mixed beliefs the fairest President could very well be the one with no beliefs. Yet, such would have to be wise enough to not seek to end beliefs.

Overall in a nation such as ours fairness dictates that any national leader not base decisions upon personal beliefs but only upon what is in the best interest of all the people. so far we have had few if any presidents that have done such. It may be time to see what an atheist could/would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 11:21 PM
 
Location: KYLE TEXAS
431 posts, read 397,489 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You are absolutely, positively wrong in this statement. As far back as the Declaration of Independence, this nation was defined as secular. When Jefferson wanted to say that "these rights are sacred," Franklin convinced him it should say "these rights are self-evident" in order to avoid the appearance that there was any trace of divinity in the Declaration.

Having left England to escape the national church, the founding fathers were careful to make sure that religion had no part in the formation of the new country.

The Constitution says "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States," and that was written and agreed to before the 1st Amendment was written.

Regarding the 10 Commandments. #1. What law in the United States supports the claim that "thou shalt have no other god before me?" #2. Where is there a federal statute against the making of graven images? #3. I'm absolutely certain that cursing is not against any federal law. #4. There are no federal laws making any Sabbath any different from any other day. #5. There are no laws imposing penalties for failing to honor your parents. #6. Murder is a state crime in all 50 jurisdictions, but not on the federal level. #7. Adultery is not against the law. #8. Theft, in all forms, in criminal only at the state level. #9. Bear false witness against your neighbor? That's a crime? #10. Covet? Against the law? How could you prove that?

These comments assume that these are the 10 Commandments to which you refer. There are several other collections that are equally valid, but you didn't say which set you meant.

Many of the reference you cite used the phrase "In The Year Of Our Lord" in defining the date. That formality hardly qualifies as anything more than a formality. Much of the writing citing divine providence was just flowery language commonly used at that time.

Your argument that the US was founded on religious principles has no merit at all.
i agree
if the first four commandments were written by a *supreme being it show one who is


neurotic
selfish
insecure
egotistic
and paranoid [SIZE=2]

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'
if HE is the only one what is his problem neurotic

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.' There again one who is egotistic

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

so insecure cant take criticism

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.


selfish and paranoid


more christian wacho think

end of story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,706 posts, read 3,335,155 times
Reputation: 1911
I think America NEEDS an atheist, black, homosexual female for president.

Really...Does America NEED an atheist president? Nope.

Does America NEED a theist president? Nope.

America NEEDS a president who is qualified for the job. I don't believe that one's belief or lack of belief in a diety should be a qualifier. I would be, however, turned off by an atheist candidate who wore his or her atheism on their sleeve, or made snarky anti-God pot shots all the time, just as I was pretty turned off when the ex Governor of my own fair state prayed for rain during a drought. In both cases, it's arrogant and demeaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 12:25 AM
 
Location: KYLE TEXAS
431 posts, read 397,489 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I think America NEEDS an atheist, black, homosexual female for president.

Really...Does America NEED an atheist president? Nope.

Does America NEED a theist president? Nope.

America NEEDS a president who is qualified for the job. I don't believe that one's belief or lack of belief in a diety should be a qualifier. I would be, however, turned off by an atheist candidate who wore his or her atheism on their sleeve, or made snarky anti-God pot shots all the time, just as I was pretty turned off when the ex Governor of my own fair state prayed for rain during a drought. In both cases, it's arrogant and demeaning.
i think so its also arrogant that eisenhower put (under god ) in our pledge its wasnt on the original version , and we have god on our coins ,paper money and congress say prayers every day ..

i have to pledge with my position so i either dont say * under god* when the words roll around or substitute * under dog *
getting god of the currency is a ongoing task
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top