Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:27 AM

694 posts, read 742,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
How sadly true. I would never vote or such an openly theistic prez candidate like Perry, since it's obvious (to me at least...) that he's of that theistic "bent" where he truly wants to insert theism wherever he, as POTUS, could (via school prayer, the addition of Creationism into high-school science curricula, the mention of God in all his speeches, and so on..).

Such blatant non-secularism is truly irritating to us devout atheists. Imagine if we were to insist on equal-time atheism, as when he might say, at the close of a speech, "...and God Bless America!", he'd also have to say, "or not, since He doesn't exist".

There's absolutely NO ROOM for any type of theism in any form of government for the people, especially given our Constitutional protection from such forced ideas.
So, what you are saying is that is OK for the atheists to remove - by the courts - Christianity from our lives, but it would be wrong for someone to hear the word God everyday? If you don't believe, what difference should it make? As far as forced ideas, the ACLU likes to force the "freedom FROM religion" ideals on all the rest of us. Can't have prayer in schools (although the Constitution doesn't say you can't), can't have Bibles or crosses, many times even on private property...

Charles Sands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 AM

694 posts, read 742,801 times
[quote=HipFlask;21274099]A rational human being who doesn't cling to fairy tales?quote]

I am glad you are so sure of everything about life and your own intelligence and reasoning power that you never need help for any reason at all.

Charles Sands

Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,783,425 times
[quote=cpsTN;21281571]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipFlask View Post
A rational human being who doesn't cling to fairy tales?quote]

I am glad you are so sure of everything about life and your own intelligence and reasoning power that you never need help for any reason at all.

Charles Sands
Not relying on fairytales does not preclude needing help. The help we need though is action in the world by human beings. I would rely on my family and friends to help me should I need help.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:43 AM

40 posts, read 60,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post

Charles Sands
Yeah, who am I to be "so sure"?

Speaking of, how often do you pray to Vishnu and Zeus?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
So, what you are saying is that is OK for the atheists to remove - by the courts - Christianity from our lives, but it would be wrong for someone to hear the word God everyday? If you don't believe, what difference should it make? As far as forced ideas, the ACLU likes to force the "freedom FROM religion" ideals on all the rest of us. Can't have prayer in schools (although the Constitution doesn't say you can't), can't have Bibles or crosses, many times even on private property...

Charles Sands
We don't want the courts to force Christianity (or, more accurately, religion) from our lives. Just from our government.

The Constitution does indeed say prayer in schools should be prohibited so long as those schools are publicly funded.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:56 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,783,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipFlask View Post
We don't want the courts to force Christianity (or, more accurately, religion) from our lives. Just from our government.

The Constitution does indeed say prayer in schools should be prohibited so long as those schools are publicly funded.
No, actually, not quite. It says that the admins and teachers cannot lead prayer and that students cannot be coerced. It does not say that kids can't pray at lunch, for example. Nothing says a kid can't say grace over lunch or read the bible in study hall.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, actually, not quite. It says that the admins and teachers cannot lead prayer and that students cannot be coerced. It does not say that kids can't pray at lunch, for example. Nothing says a kid can't say grace over lunch or read the bible in study hall.
I was lazy in my response. You are correct.

There is an entertaining mishmash of ignorance among the Christian Right who screech about "prayer in schools". Some demand the right to have teacher-led prayer, and others are under the ridiculous misconception that principals and teachers go around smacking kids who appear to be praying or leading a prayer. Nothing like fear-based stupidity!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:42 AM

16,592 posts, read 15,532,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
He's "a little frightening" partly because of the nature of his devout theism.

An atheist President would be a welcome change, but that will be far in the future if it ever occurs.
Personally, I think it has already happened several times in the history of the Presidency. However, it always has been, and continues to be, political suicide for a candidate to admit that he has no religion.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:52 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,344,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
would that make a fair President?
In the US?`Some day maybe. For now I think a strongly secular christian president is perfect. One who would keep religion out of our halls of power, education and science... but at the same time is capable of talking the talk of believers on their level with them.

I thought once Obama was that person which he seems now not to be, but at least he was a step in the right direction. He is himself religious, or claims to be (I have doubts) yet when you listen to his 2006 keynote speech he also says everything that I would say.

A Christian president who really stuck by the words spoken in that speech would be, for me, much more valuable than an atheist president. And I say that as a founding member of Atheist Ireland and a very active person for the side of atheism.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,205,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
would that make a fair President?
We need a president that would put the comforts of the common people first....religion should have nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism