U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,976,522 times

Advertisements

It seems that lately, in spite of the sign on the door, I have had a few too many religious people come by (uninvited) one even pointed out that she was not trying to violate my sign of "no solicitors" but wanted to know if I had heard the Good news of jesus Christ......
BUT THis got me thinking about something.........
I wonder why athesists don't come over and visit.
they would be welcomed here and probably I hope enjoy their stay!
Granted, we don't have the biggest house in town but due to recent job promotions and an upcoming move to a new city, soon we will be living amongst the upper middle class....
We are not mean people We do not treat our guests badly...we are not crooks.
The food here is pretty darn good I am told....some people say I missed my calling as a chef and I am in the wrong biz If I invite you over for dinner you will not leave hungry.
We are educated so we can carry on a very intellegent conversation if the opportunity presents itself...

So what does a family in this day and age have to do to meet other well adjusted non-religious people?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 06:57 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,884,998 times
Try looking or posting in the "Groups" section of your local Craigslist.

Also, check out Meetup.com for atheists, agnostics, Deists and other freethinkers in your area.

Where in FL are you?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:00 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,166,698 times
This post could have been written by me!

So LKC, if I should ever come to your part of Florida, my husband and I will stop by for a visit. If you should ever come to rural N. California, you and your spouse shall come visit us.

We shall make tasty food together!

Old 10-17-2011, 12:45 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,976,522 times
We are in the process of moving to the Tampa Area as soon as we find a house to buy

Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 AM

12,886 posts, read 15,438,852 times
LargeKingCat....You sound like nice people to visit with...would that I could!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:10 AM

2,637 posts, read 10,940,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
We are in the process of moving to the Tampa Area as soon as we find a house to buy
What part? I've lived here a long time, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,374,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
BUT THis got me thinking about something.........
I wonder why athesists don't come over and visit.

So what does a family in this day and age have to do to meet other well adjusted non-religious people?????
Probably because atheists don't believe in any particular set of codified rules of engagement, and they'd not have a lot to talk about, unlike a literalist fundamentalist proselytizer who has a lot of "stuff" (I call it baggage...) to spew in their tireless efforts to convert the heathen hordes.

Now, if you wanted to perhaps openly discuss the reasons they don't believe now, or how they lost their Christianity, (which is the majority case, BTW) you might find some interest. Most atheists who do bother to talk about it are usually fairly well acquainted with the bible, since their loss of faith is usually based on a careful examination of it's various failings.

That and their realization of the frantic nature of their once-familial congregation members, who try desperately to corral and pull them back in. This usually only serves to hasten their departure.

But frankly, most everyday atheists simply don't bother with something they don't believe in, and have nothing to speak to you about. Imagine you stopping by at some unknown neighbor's house, knocking on their door and asking them if they'd like to discuss, let's say, in detail, how to sharpen their lawn-mower blades (plus a guilt-tripping diatribe on how you're obviously doing it all wrong...), perhaps a deep discussion of the hidden meanings in Kwanzaa, or the goals of a Wiccan ceremony scheduled for next week in your town.

You might well have the door closed in your face, huh? After all, there is no basic atheistic belief-set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism