Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:57 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,838,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDick View Post
My wife and I are a TINY bit jealous of religious people for the fact that they have an extra social club on weekends to meet with people who are likeminded. So we put out some feelers for people in our area who are atheists, and want to get together to discuss life, music, movies, parenting, mutual disdain for holy rollers, etc. We found an atheist "club," and went to a meetup.

The only problem....most of us don't have much else in common besides non-belief in God. Ironically, I don't find this to be such a horrible thing. It just means atheists aren't the stumbling clones that religious folk are. I still haven't given up on finding some non-religious people who are focused on life, not afterlife.
But they are more insular when they can't find the occasion for being with open christian hearts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 03:02 PM

417 posts, read 365,570 times
My mom is an atheist and my dad is a non-practicing Christian. Never gave religion a thought until I dated a Catholic when I was 18. Certain life circumstances involving my grandma and other issues caused me to anguish over the fact that when we die, nothing happens. We just disappear.

Religion to me is an answer to that. Also, I'm a huge history buff and the Catholic and Orthodox Christianity is full of it, whereas I think Protestant Christianity does a lot of cherry-picking to suit their needs and there isn't anything historical supporting it.

I don't care what people believe, I don't believe all Muslims go to hell or all atheists go to hell nor do I care if you are Catholic and don't follow all tenants of the religion or if you are atheist and think religion is stupid. It doesn't bother me at all, I stick to my own beliefs and generally keep them to myself unless people ask. Religion should be more of a personal thing, and in this I find common ground with atheists who get offended by people who shove religion down others throats. I also used to be an atheist so I can relate to the atheist viewpoint. I was never militant in my atheist beliefs, but I did give thought to them.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
My mom is an atheist and my dad is a non-practicing Christian. Never gave religion a thought until I dated a Catholic when I was 18. Certain life circumstances involving my grandma and other issues caused me to anguish over the fact that when we die, nothing happens. We just disappear.

Religion to me is an answer to that. Also, I'm a huge history buff and the Catholic and Orthodox Christianity is full of it, whereas I think Protestant Christianity does a lot of cherry-picking to suit their needs and there isn't anything historical supporting it.

I don't care what people believe, I don't believe all Muslims go to hell or all atheists go to hell nor do I care if you are Catholic and don't follow all tenants of the religion or if you are atheist and think religion is stupid. It doesn't bother me at all, I stick to my own beliefs and generally keep them to myself unless people ask. Religion should be more of a personal thing, and in this I find common ground with atheists who get offended by people who shove religion down others throats. I also used to be an atheist so I can relate to the atheist viewpoint. I was never militant in my atheist beliefs, but I did give thought to them.
So, basically, rather than believing things on an evidentiary basis, you just choose to be religious because it's more comforting? Damn it all if there's absolutely nothing supporting the foundations of your beliefs, it just makes you warm and happy at the end of the day. At least your honest about it but it doesn't really make it any more true than wishing upon a lucky star helps one win the lottery.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM

417 posts, read 365,570 times
More to it than what I am willing to write in two paragraphs, but sure. My belief system does nothing to affect your quality of life. I don't vote based on it, I don't rationalize my morals based on religion, I had them before I had religion.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
I was born and raised an atheist, turned Catholic several years ago.
When I read the 'I used to be an atheist, like you, until...' type of evangelist website, I rather wonder whether it is possible for an atheist, when they have seen how false the arguments are for any particular religion, could ever join one.

I tell myself that, while they were raised without religion they were also raised without finding out the reasons to leave it. That is, someone who have never bothered with either religious belief or disbelief is easy meat for the evangelists.

So I'd be interested to hear your 'conversion story'. If there is a good reason why a 'thinking atheist' could join a religion, I should like to hear it.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:11 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
When I read the 'I used to be an atheist, like you, until...' type of evangelist website, I rather wonder whether it is possible for an atheist, when they have seen how false the arguments are for any particular religion, could ever join one.
I also have the same feeling. It's almost like saying I used to be white but then I turned black. Atheism is not, in my opinion, some "oh I don't believe in god this week" idea. I have read a few people on this forum who have stated that position, then you find out they're 20 or 22 years old. It's simply not based on a solid stance.

I know for myself it was a process that took time and a lot of soul searching for want of a better term. Now that I have reached the point where I can say I am an atheist and why I believe this way, I can't see any possible excuse or valid reason to renounce my atheism. That would be such a backwards move and I don't believe in de-evolving.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:03 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I also have the same feeling. It's almost like saying I used to be white but then I turned black. Atheism is not, in my opinion, some "oh I don't believe in god this week" idea. I have read a few people on this forum who have stated that position, then you find out they're 20 or 22 years old. It's simply not based on a solid stance.

I know for myself it was a process that took time and a lot of soul searching for want of a better term. Now that I have reached the point where I can say I am an atheist and why I believe this way, I can't see any possible excuse or valid reason to renounce my atheism. That would be such a backwards move and I don't believe in de-evolving.
That's why I coined the term 'thinking atheist'. While sounding a bit elitist, it only means one who has given the matter some consideration and has, hopefully, seen the counters for the undeniably well - crafted evangelism packages. The other type of atheist is one who has simply ignored it. I can well imagine that serving up the very tempting First cause argument (who made everything then?') with a marinade of Watchmaker, universal constants and conditions necessary for life, followed by a ragout of leap of faith ('surely such a creator would want to talk to us') served up with Bible salad with a historical people and places dressing.
Removed with a Love Bombe' and coffee. The feeling of surfeited well - being is enough to sign up a long - time unbeliever to the religious lunch - club.

However, those who have studied their diet sheet (or are sick of this badly - overstewed analogy) know that curry, Pad Tai and indeed pasta are equally delicious and in fact the relatively lean meat and cold consomme of the atheist diet is actually better for you. Knowing this, they wouldn't be tempted by the admittedly succulent fare of le Cafe Dieu, and never mind the cheeses and nuts.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-29-2011 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: adjusting the seasoning.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:

Religion to me is an answer to that.
Also, I'm a huge history buff and the Catholic and Orthodox Christianity is full of it, whereas I think Protestant Christianity does a lot of cherry-picking to suit their needs and there isn't anything historical supporting it.
When reality is harsh you run to the self-delusion of a fantasy to hide from the real world? I suspect many are so afflicted, but it doesn't change the reality.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 11-01-2011 at 10:42 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
More to it than what I am willing to write in two paragraphs, but sure. My belief system does nothing to affect your quality of life. I don't vote based on it,
Thank you, but far to many vote based solely on their religious beliefs. Pretty soon the Sunday sermons in many churchs will be very political in nature.

Quote:
I don't rationalize my morals based on religion, I had them before I had religion.
And again, there is a signaficent percentage of believers that are so deluded by the preached hatred of their religion that they believe morals are impossible without religion.

Of course those are the ones that should be watched, for they suffer a false morality based solely on fear of retribution.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
In general, I think one *must* think to be atheist- it's the rare person who was brought up in an atheist household (although I think a lot might be like me- my parents just sort of forgot to raise me, I just got taller and left). It's like a gay man I know- the most retiring and quiet person you'd ever meet, but as he said, "Every day when I wake up, I'm aware that I'm an outlaw," because of being gay. To go against any major societal tide is to be self-aware and be strong in being a minority. I liken stating one is childfree by choice, to stating one is atheist, to stating one is gay- it's all a sort of "coming out." To each his own, but I do think the more people who make the majority aware that they know (and maybe love!) a member of a societal minority, well, I think it creates more room for those of us who have not just assumed things from the water we all swim in. After all, when someone finds out that Cousin Eddie is gay, it's a lot harder to think that all gay men wear dresses and are constantly in parades or something.
I've had more than a few people say that "You're too nice to be an atheist," to which I respond, "We're very nice. We don't stand on street corners trying to convince other people, we don't have our country, we don't start wars or kill people over a belief system. Do you mean that other people are only being nice because they're afraid they'll go to hell? If that's true, than I'm afraid to leave the house."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism