U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 01:20 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,576,318 times

Advertisements

I'm an atheist and a hard physicalist. I don't believe in gods, ghosts, spirits, angels, demons, or anything that cannot be explained in purely naturalistic terms. I think most "ghost sightings" are hallucinations, cases of mistaken identity, or outright fabrications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 05:23 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,389,753 times
Thank you everyone for your answers so far. I am glad that my post stirred up a little conversation. I was afraid that it would be a dead subject.

I have actually experienced the presence of a ghost/spirit. She used to come to my bedside. I say 'she' because that is what I sensed it to be. She really had no physical shape, more of a foggy being (but not misty and hovering, it's hard to explain). She never 'touched' me. I guess I would just sense that she was there and wake up. For whatever reason, I felt as if she was a young girl, a child in need of something. I can't say that I felt 'fear', but her presence made me uneasy. I would say that over the course a year, she probably come to me 4 times.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:18 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,746,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
That is correct. The definition of atheism is in regards to god/gods; deities; supreme beings. The definition of atheism says nothing about ghosts or spirits.

That said, most atheists in the West do not believe in ghosts and spirits.

However, when we look to the East, many, if not most Buddhists are atheists, but some believe in reincarnation, etc.
Actually, many of these Buddhists don't actually "disbelief" in the existence of gods... but actively accept them, within their view that all sentient beings are agnostic and their spirits live within Samsara, or the cycle of reincarnation. They belief most of the gods converted to Buddhism and so no longer seek worship, but only enlightenment.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:47 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,281,343 times
Nope. Not at all. I think the evidence is severely lacking and that the popular myth of ghosts has made its way into the minds of people who turn spooky events into ghost sightings. In fact, I believe the human mind is so powerful it can actually convince itself of false memories of having seen a ghost. But, I do not believe in ghosts themselves.

I should say that there is nothing inside of me that completely opposes the idea of ghosts. I think it would actually be kind of cool to hang out in a truly haunted house. But, virtually every single shred of purported evidence that ever turns up is almost always anecdotal, shady, or otherwise severely lacking in its credibility in some form or fashion.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:57 PM

3,798 posts, read 6,159,269 times
I'm spiritual, not religious but I've had numerous experiences with the spirit world...or what I think is the spirit world. Sometimes it's when I enter a certain location, other times it's when I am talking about someone and I feel their presence. Sometimes I make contact with someone in a dream. I have felt spirits since I was very young and it was overwelming, I "turned it off" because it was too much.

My partner (athiest) he got nuth'n. He would love to see or feel one but he just doesn't and he doesn't believe they exist although he says that it's possible.

I'm surprised at the comments though.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:07 PM

4,487 posts, read 4,371,765 times
I don't believe in anything there is no physical evidence for or is reasonably logical. That includes but is not limited to: Ghosts, Magic, The Soul, ESP, Visitation by Aliens, Bigfoot, Karma, Reincarnation, The Afterlife, Spirits of any kind and most of all Adam Sandler's talent. Not to say that it's not reasonably logical that he would have some talent. I've just seen zero evidence of it.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,994,349 times
I agree concerning Adam Sandler! I also do not believe in the existence of ghosts, etc. But I do like Monster Mash.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:16 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,741,560 times
Our mind is a powerful organ. It's easy for our senses to misinterpret what we see, hear, taste, smell, then believe it must be supernatural.

I also do not believe in anything spiritual or supernatural. There is no evidence for these things.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:10 PM

284 posts, read 421,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Our mind is a powerful organ. It's easy for our senses to misinterpret what we see, hear, taste, smell, then believe it must be supernatural.
It is also easy for us to dismiss what we have clearly experienced as something that never happened. Our minds are double edged that way. I still say the possibility of spirits (and other things that cannot be explained by science) still exists.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:24 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,735,259 times
It seems like those people who experienced something cannot go as far as to say that nothing exists. It's much easier for those who never experienced anything to say: it doesn't exist.

I don't know what they are: beings, energies, fantasies of the brain... but it seems that something is happening to many people. And it would be nice to have an explanation for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism