U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:29 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,612,986 times

Advertisements

if you believe solely in the material world. believing in anything else would be a contradiction.
very few atheists in the world--- mostly agnostics.
sorry even gamblers are not true atheists, heavy belief in "luck".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 02:28 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,729,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLight1555 View Post
It seems like those people who experienced something cannot go as far as to say that nothing exists. It's much easier for those who never experienced anything to say: it doesn't exist.

I don't know what they are: beings, energies, fantasies of the brain... but it seems that something is happening to many people. And it would be nice to have an explanation for it.
I have experienced 'spirits' or 'ghosts'. I woke one night from a dream to see my Grandmother hovering at the end of my bed. I experimented with 'black magic' and felt evil creeping outside my room. I prayed and asked god for forgiveness for playing with fire and the evil disappeared.

These were figments of my imagination. I was allowing myself to feel and experience emotions and thoughts in my mind, then projecting them outward.

Now that I am older and rational and much more pragmatic, I understand these things were not real at all and I no longer entertain such silliness.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:26 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
It's a hard one...I think certain people may be more attuned to the spirit world than others, which is why it's hard to provide 'hard, testable, scientific evidence' for the existence of ghosts or spirits. Then again, there is a plethora of apparently supernatural phenomena that can be explained by the natural functioning of one's mental faculties.

My view, however, is that Life itself is sort of supernatural...so that even these seemingly 'natural' events are actually pretty paranormal but we don't realise it.

But I'm not an atheist so I'm not sure if I should be answering.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:35 PM

19,910 posts, read 14,232,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Do atheists believe in ghost/spirits?
Do I believe in them? I don't understand the question. Do I acknowledge their existence? Sure.

I've had a few experiences that I've described in some detail here on this forum. What was it? I don't know. I believe it might be related to electromagnetism or electromagnetic energy. What we know about EM fields pales in comparison with what we don't know. Even now there's questions concerning the use of cell-phones and health (they generate EM fields).

Maybe it's an alternate dimension.

Whatever it is, I'm sure there's a rational scientific explanation for it, even though we don't know what it is yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It is my belief the ghost phenomenon is real; albeit misinterpreted and misunderstood. I don't know what they are, but I doubt they are the disembodied souls of the dead. They are most likely as of yet undiscovered natural phenomenon that is possibly tied into the quantum environment, perhaps "recordings" somehow left in the environment or even crossings in dimensions or branes as hypothesized in M-theory.
Well, there you go. What I find funny is that people were actually worried about radiation from Japan, when in fact they should be more worried about being on a crowded elevator, or a bus or plane. Humans generate more radiation than you'd get from Japan. Humans also generate weak EM fields. You might know people who cannot wear electronic watches, because their EM fields mess them up. Maybe during times of extreme stress or emotions, some people can generate higher than normal EM fields that are then imprinted or recorded on something, perhaps even another naturally occurring or man-made EM field.

I'm not some physicist or something, but I find it interesting and as I said, I'm sure there's a rational scientific explanation.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:20 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,441,063 times
If we're born out of supernovae, then why is it a stretch to think we're in-tune, and subjected to, its natural forces.

A quick story and not one made up.

I grew up with a kid just down the block. We played in the creek and lake in the local neighborhood, etc. Somethings went down between us and I'll have to be honest, I was the offender. I felt, and still feel, the guilt of those decisions to this day.

One night, after not having seen, heard or talked to that person in at least 4 years I had a dream. The dream, a guilty one, was of me pushing him off the side of a building while he begged for help. I know, I'm a horrible person but I didn't really do it. This was @ between 2 - 3 a.m.'ish. I woke up it was so disturbing to me.

I go back to sleep.

I wake up the next day to the news stations reporting the death of this kid. After leaving the nightclub drunk, he ran up underneath a tractor trailer and was decapitated.

The reported time of death was 2:23 a.m.

I immediately started to rationalize this. I didn't have a T.V. in my room and no radio so I had to dismiss that I might have heard it in my sleep. The only things I had were my furniture and my alarm clock (that didn't have a radio). There was no rational (at least to me) explanation, at least at that time and this one (as of yet).

That's just one of many very strange (to me) coincidences that I've gone through in my life. It's certainly the most dramatic, and most coincidental, of all of them, currently.

I too, believe it has something to do with electromagnetism, electromagnetic-radiation, the earth's iron core, the iron in your blood and probably so many things I'll never even know about or have the time to figure out.

Anyone in the political forum, that doesn't have me blocked, knows I went on this kick about pluses and minuses, good and evil, right and wrong, males and females, on and off binary code, creditors and debtors, positive and negatives, right and left, conservative and liberal, the laws of thermodynamics and the very structure of atoms as we know them today.

I could just be full of it I guess but when those combined, like land patterns on a circuit board (or LANs in a local area network) in my brain, it just struck me profoundly...

Oh wow! That was a clever way to go...

Last edited by BigJon3475; 10-31-2011 at 09:07 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,125,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Hello, please forgive me if my question seems ignorant, but my husband and I were just having a discussion and I told him I would post it here.

Do atheists believe in ghost/spirits?

My husband seems to think that there is some connection between God and spirits. His reasoning was, "if atheists don't believe in God, why would there be a spirit world", or something like that. My argument was, "why does there have to be a God to control the spirit world?".

Anyway, we were batting this back and forth (me totally unable to see where he was going with his thought process) when I decided, "why not go straight to the source?".

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

weather...
I am an atheist and I do not believe in ghosts or spirits. To me, God or Yaweh or Allah or Ghosts or spirits or fairies or Santa Claus or leprachauns all fall into the same category: fictional creations used to entertain, teach morals, or coerce behavior.

Everyone can believe what they want to believe of course, I am equal opportunity. But honestly, when an adult tells me they believe in "ghosts" I tend to think of them as a little bit nutty. Nutty in a good way, I wouldn't be mean to them. But to me it's no different than if an adult tells me they believe in "santa claus", and they truly believed it. I wouldn't judge them, per se, but I would think "Whoo boy...It takes all kinds."

As far as the "evidence" of a spirit world existing, I don't think there is any convincing evidence at all. The concept of a "spirit world" or life after death has been around since the dawn of human kind, and in all that time there has been no smoking gun, no irrefutable piece of evidence to prove in the existence of ghosts. Just a lot of hokum stories. If you haven't been able to prove something in over 6,000 years of recorded human history, when people have been actively persuing it, then chances are it probably doesn't exist.

And before people shout me down "no!! you don't understand!! I TOTALLY saw the ghost of my dead mother dancing in the driveway one night", then I just say this...Humans have active imaginations and selective perception (that's why you can hear your name being said across a crowded room, even if it's noisy and you are not paying attention). There are millions of pieces of stimulii floating in and out of our brain at any given moment. Because our brain simply cannot conciously process all this information, it tends to "fill in the gaps" or make stuff up to explain information that is counter-intuitive. That's why optical illusions work. Your brain is being "tricked" and because it has no information it starts filling in the blanks for you. Has anyone ever done the rubber pencil trick on you? Is the pencil REALLY made of rubber, or are your eyes seeing what they want to see?

Maybe there is a reason that only people who ALREADY believe in ghosts then magically have ghostly visions? Or people who ALREADY believe in UFOs always tend to be the people who claim to see them.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:50 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,679,285 times
There are atheists and agnostics that believe in ghosts and spirits. And to be honest, I'm not sure why.....If these people were smart enough to use logic that discredits religious claims, why still have faith in ghosts? It is very confusing when atheists do this (to me at least).

Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,387,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
There are atheists and agnostics that believe in ghosts and spirits. And to be honest, I'm not sure why.....If these people were smart enough to use logic that discredits religious claims, why still have faith in ghosts? It is very confusing when atheists do this (to me at least).
I think that was my husband's take on the whole matter.

Thank you.
~weather

Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 PM

284 posts, read 421,220 times
Quote:
Er... agnostics are not in the "I don't believe in [insert deity here] realm. Agnostics say, "I don't know if there is a [insert deity here] or not." Hence the name "agnostic"

Therefore, it's not a stretch for agnostics to believe in the possibility of spirits or other things beyond the explanation of science.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:12 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,441,063 times
Quote:
If these people were smart enough to use logic that discredits religious claims, why still have faith in ghosts? It is very confusing when atheists do this (to me at least).
The biosphere and how it relates to inanimate matter... These things aren't separate and how one uses the other to grow a greater and greater influence on the other is at the core of spiritualism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism