U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:02 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,805,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
just call me a deluded doink cause i have been in the presence of God during a nde and in my actual life have seen 2 apparitions(or what some call ghosts)--none in a cemetary or in complete dark--that is for effect on tv only
When the meeting God thing happens, it is usually the God of the person's religion. Since there are so many religions in the world, there are many 'takes' on god/s, which makes me think that such claims, or at least part of them, is some projection from the self.

I was once in a large green meadow. There were small groups of people there, debating with each other. A very happy place. A guy comes up to me in a white robe and introduces himself as Jesus. I tell him I no longer believe in him and he says 'that's ok' and walks away.

I think that was my subconscious telling me that I was cleaning out my childhood brainwashing concerning religion.

I believe in spiritual experiences, and yours may have been one, but I think the God of my childhood was a nasty piece of work and so far I've not seen another.

There is something odd going on concerning the power of love, I think. There are people who see a light and feel the overwhelming love. I have even heard of atheists who've experienced that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 02:06 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,805,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilky666 View Post
An atheist who came to atheism through logic will not believe in "spirits"... they are skeptics, and will not believe in any supernatural phenomena... the same logic that got you the one will certainly get you the other. Atheism is a process, I believe, and a newly-formed atheistic belief needs to mature, where the gods are questioned and rejected first (along with religion in general) and gradually all the other supernatural crap is questioned and rejected.
Nope. I believed, and then rejected all the supernatural crap along with religion and God until I experienced some out of the ordinary things. I don't really believe anything is supernatural, but just currently unexplained.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:08 AM

285 posts, read 262,565 times
Our world is full of the paranormal mysteries but usually we pay attention only to ourselves and material mysteries. Except animals, plants and materials there are three creatures which are paranormal : angels, demons and ghost of human. this three kind of paranormal existence usually are not observable unless they be allowed or interested to show themselves. demons like human live on the earth.Their essence (body) is different with human but live ,eat , sleep and spawn. angels are invisibly too but they don,t eat , don't sleep and haven't any gender to marry and spawn. they are different with demons because angels are heavenly and if some of them come to earth is due to their duty which god has ordered them because they are agent of god. ghosts ( soul of deceased ) are another creature . They are the source of life in human body and we can say they are human without material body. human and demons are just creatures that have option to choose and do based on their optional decide but human is the best creature ( because of his wisdom and his great soul ) in all universe and demons are lower. As human is the best creature also he can become worse than animals (during he forget his wisdom and follow his abnormal desires ) inasmuchas he become a devil. ghosts doesn't live in this world . they are in a world by name Barzakh (limbo) until future but some of them get a permission of god and return to this world for a short time ( for seeing their family or others ) ........Anyhow explanation is long and I think it is enough in this comment

Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 AM

1 posts, read 646 times
Hello. from russia. i'm know english badly,but i want to perfect it.) and i search friends-foreigners. I think that unvisible world exist. but it s -slim . and ordinary man cannot to watch it. why atheists don't believe in Jesus as god? are they don t believe ,that Jesus came to life after dying? is it really,that they don believe to case about meeting Foma with Jesus? are they think thats is it -invention? and i want to know why god dont to speak with us. i want to speak with him. i want to see him in shape of man.. to go with him on earth.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,992,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manss View Post
Our world is full of the paranormal mysteries but usually we pay attention only to ourselves and material mysteries. Except animals, plants and materials there are three creatures which are paranormal : angels, demons and ghost of human. this three kind of paranormal existence usually are not observable unless they be allowed or interested to show themselves. demons like human live on the earth.Their essence (body) is different with human but live ,eat , sleep and spawn. angels are invisibly too but they don,t eat , don't sleep and haven't any gender to marry and spawn. they are different with demons because angels are heavenly and if some of them come to earth is due to their duty which god has ordered them because they are agent of god. ghosts ( soul of deceased ) are another creature . They are the source of life in human body and we can say they are human without material body. human and demons are just creatures that have option to choose and do based on their optional decide but human is the best creature ( because of his wisdom and his great soul ) in all universe and demons are lower. As human is the best creature also he can become worse than animals (during he forget his wisdom and follow his abnormal desires ) inasmuchas he become a devil. ghosts doesn't live in this world . they are in a world by name Barzakh (limbo) until future but some of them get a permission of god and return to this world for a short time ( for seeing their family or others ) ........Anyhow explanation is long and I think it is enough in this comment
This all sounds fascinating. Where is the evidence?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,737,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Because some people have had (for them) very REAL experiences and to them the experiences are not refutable. The same people have not seen a god and do not get sucked into religious dogma because of a few hitherto unexplained experiences.
I understand. I never had any spiritual or ghost encounter, so it's harder for me to understand. I wonder what it's like now to see a ghost or something.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:43 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,612,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I am an Atheist and have never believed in anything supernatural.

Here is my theory why people think there are ghosts.

Our brains give off electrical energy. When we have a traumatic event, we may give off even more energy. These energy waves can be saved in inanimate (especially organic) oblects nearby. A person may come by later and pick up these energy waves and think they have experienced a ghost.
What is the proof for this claim?
Will these (energy waves) form the ghosts or spirits!?

Old 11-08-2011, 03:56 AM

The belief in the spiritual afterlife is an essential part of the faith or belief.
I.e. a believer in God has to believe in the afterlife.

Moreover, the spiritual observations give confirmation to the belief in the Creator: Who created the living beings for a wise purpose: and the purpose from creating this material world is to form the spiritual world which is the ethereal or spiritual identical copy of the material world.

Anyhow, there had been some people spiritualists who believed in the existence of spirits and ghosts, but they were atheists (like Dr. James Findlay) and they did not believe in the existence of God the Creator of everything in the universe, who inserted the physical laws in the entire universe.

Retorting the Atheist

Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 AM

The belief in the afterlife
is an essential part of the faith or belief: i.e. a believer should believe in God the Creator and in addition he has to believe in the afterlife world of spirits and souls.

Some spiritualists, like Dr. James Findlay, believed in the existence of souls, while they did not believe in the existence of God the Creator Who creates the material world to be a mould for forming the spiritual world: the spiritual beings will be immortal for ever, while the material bodies will decay and disintegrate.

Retorting the Atheist

Old 11-08-2011, 11:40 AM

285 posts, read 262,565 times
Hello Katherin -a , may English is not very good too I have improved it a little in some English websites recently . Anyhow , why you don't try know god more, instead of seeing him ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism