U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,123,883 times

Advertisements

I don't know why this is even about Steve Jobs. It sounds to me like he had the ordinary run of the mill "death experience" that people have been reporting for thousands of years. His final moments seem rather garden variety. You could have substituted "Steve Jobs" in this story for any of the countless people who died this year, but because he is famous this ghoulish celebrity worship can't end even after the man died. Every aspect of his life was parsed and studied and used to support someones personal political bent (even the Republicans are claiming that the gay-friendly, atheist Steve Jobs was actually one of them), and now I guess every aspect of his death will be parsed and analyzed as well.

Good on him that he died at peace surrounded by family and loved ones. Not everyone gets to do that.

Personally, I am much more interested in how Steve Jobs LIVED, rather than how he DIED. The man took the few years he was given and changed the world. That's a big deal. Why aren't we talking about that, rather than using a personal, private moment of his to support OUR own world view (whether atheist, or theist)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 08:03 AM

181 posts, read 199,904 times
I didn't realize Steve Jobs was religious...

Old 11-01-2011, 08:52 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,947,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I heard the same report of Jobs' last words. I suppose I'm unreliable as well.
In the great mystics eyes from his tower of delusional self importance, the word of every heathen atheist is "less than reliable". Consider the source

Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,367,457 times
Default Nothing but the truth here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If this is a legitimate report of his last words (rifle is notoriously unreliable in that department) . . . using my experiences as a guide, I have no doubt whatsoever why he would exclaim so.
Oh come-on now, Mystic! Such a hurtful person you've become! ..............You DO KNOW that you're not the only prophetic one here, right??

I get like that myself when I wash down my meth with that high-end Bourbon! Then I see all sorts of things, like this...

Steve Jobs

or this...

Steve Jobs And His Last Words - WNYC.

But yah go on believin' what'cha want'n'need, Mystic-Man... I mean, why stop now?

BTW, FYI and JSozYK, I, me, THE Great and Powerful Oz-rifleman, also got a direct in-yur-head message from my particular God entity last night. He says it was He Hisself who was just having a good pre-death upbeat conversation with Steve, and He was just finishing up with the joke tag line, and Steve found it was really, like, "Oh Wow Man! Wow!"

And thus, the repetitive utterances.

There you have it, from a highly reliable source: me! .........................................

Last edited by rifleman; 11-01-2011 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 AM

40,034 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
In the great mystics eyes from his tower of delusional self importance, the word of every heathen atheist is "less than reliable". Consider the source
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Oh come-on now, Mystic! Such a hurtful person you've become! You DO KNOW that you're not the only prophetic one here, right??
If I believed you would be hurt by it, I would never have made the quip . . . but you know that don't you, my friend?
Quote:
I get like that myself when I wash down my meth with that high-end Bourbon! Then I see all sorts of things, like this...

Steve Jobs

or this...

Steve Jobs And His Last Words - WNYC.

But yah go on believin' what'cha want'n'need, Mystic-Man... I mean, why stop now?
You know I can not stop believing what I actually believe anymore than you can, rifle. Actual belief is not a choice. If there is a choice, there is no real belief in any of the alternatives.
Quote:
BTW, FYI and JSozYK, I, me, THE rifleman, also got a direct in-yur-head message from my particular God entity last night. He says it was He Hisself who was just having a good pre-death upbeat conversation with Steve, and He was just finishing up with the joke tag line, and Steve found it was really, like, "Oh Wow Man! Wow!"

And thus, the repetitive utterances.

There you have it, from a highly reliable source: me!
And this kind of repartee is why I would never have expected you to be hurt by my quip, my friend.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,367,457 times
(Or.... he may have suddenly realized that he would no longer have to worry about that ingrown toenail... It'll be one or tuther, I'm sure of it! I mean, why over-complicate anything in this world? Just to make a point for Gawd? Nahhhhhhhhh....)

Old 11-01-2011, 10:46 AM

13,143 posts, read 19,184,528 times
Ever notice how famous people always supposedly have the best "last words"?

My grandma's last words were "I've got to cut my fingernails"... I've been present during dozens of deaths too and no one ever said anything grand or inspiring... instead it's mostly gurgling and gibberish. One guy said: "There's too many people in here" then died.

Sadly, the truth of death is not like the movies. Your brain isn't working right when you are dying and it's a ugly, painful and messy process...kinda like birth.

So much for the magical sugarcoating.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:37 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,723,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Ever notice how famous people always supposedly have the best "last words"?

My grandma's last words were "I've got to cut my fingernails"... I've been present during dozens of deaths too and no one ever said anything grand or inspiring... instead it's mostly gurgling and gibberish. One guy said: "There's too many people in here" then died.

Sadly, the truth of death is not like the movies. Your brain isn't working right when you are dying and it's a ugly, painful and messy process...kinda like birth.

So much for the magical sugarcoating.
I have seen a fair few deaths in my job as an RN and I can verify your post. Death isn't pretty and I have never heard anything profound either. Agonal breathing makes speaking difficult.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:32 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,294,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I have seen a fair few deaths in my job as an RN and I can verify your post. Death isn't pretty and I have never heard anything profound either. Agonal breathing makes speaking difficult.
I wonder if it was really, "Ow. Oh, ow. Oh, OW."

I also wonder what any of this has to do with atheism in the first place. If Rifle is attempting to imply that Steve Jobs was seeing a deity or some kind of clue about an afterlife, this thread belongs elsewhere because it's nothing but veiled proselytizing.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:52 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,561,033 times
I didn't say this at first because I didn't want to seem disrespectful, but it's probable that he was simply delirious. Dying people are often delirious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism