U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,745,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
I respect your opinion, but the bottomline is we'd never know how death feels like until we're in that position; because personally it does not make sense to me, if we were to live this life and in the end we don't end up getting rewarded for what we've done, its going to be kinda dissapointing, then whats the point of living. Knowing that there's an afterlife keep a lot of people optimistic about life, because they know the positives they've achieved in this life won't go to waste when they pass away and they will get awarded for it, for that there's going to be a life in the hereafter but thats just an opinion.
Knowing there is an afterlife does not keep people optimistic at all. Nor does it stop people doing horrible things to other people.

The thought, the concept of this wonderful afterlife may sound all well and good but there is this little thing called rational thinking that prevents those of us who understand the basics of biology from believing it's real.

We live, we die. We choose to make this life as pleasant and beautiful as we can. That is our reward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 PM

731 posts, read 678,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Knowing there is an afterlife does not keep people optimistic at all. Nor does it stop people doing horrible things to other people.

The thought, the concept of this wonderful afterlife may sound all well and good but there is this little thing called rational thinking that prevents those of us who understand the basics of biology from believing it's real.

We live, we die. We choose to make this life as pleasant and beautiful as we can. That is our reward.
We do try to make this life as pleasant and beautiful, but what do you say about the poor people across the world who die from hunger, orphans, mentally disabled, etc how can these people enjoy their life, if all they did was face hardships throught their lives; these people deserve better; its just sad to think how all these people who faced hardships in this world would eventually their would cease to exist when they die; life is very short for human beings, sooner or later we'll pass away, and most humans dont make it over the age of 90, even if they lived a really healthy life.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:00 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,745,419 times
Quote:
We do try to make this life as pleasant and beautiful, but what do you say about the poor people across the world who die from hunger, orphans, mentally disabled, etc how can these people enjoy their life, if all they did was face hardships throught their lives; these people deserve better; its just sad to think how all these people who faced hardships in this world would eventually their would cease to exist when they die; life is very short for human beings, sooner or later we'll pass away, and most humans dont make it over the age of 90, even if they lived a really healthy life.
Yes, I agree there are many people who live awful lies, devoid of the comforts of Westernised countries. If it makes their lives more palatable by saying there is an wonderful afterlife, who am I to say they shouldn't believe that.

I simply don't believe there is any afterlife.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:46 PM

731 posts, read 678,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Yes, I agree there are many people who live awful lies, devoid of the comforts of Westernised countries. If it makes their lives more palatable by saying there is an wonderful afterlife, who am I to say they shouldn't believe that.

I simply don't believe there is any afterlife.
You might not believe it, but think logically if an innocent child passes away, does it make sense to you that his life is just over, or someone who struggeled his whole life and passes out of nowhere, it does not make sense to me for he/she to be gone forever.

Think about it, if you were to suffer from severe depression and you struggeled to overcome that, then if i was to have the same view as you, then that sepific person is going to have a pretty terrible life, because they are not enjoying this life and they can also be hopeless about their life because whenever they pass away their life would be over anyways.

The bottomline is with all due respect to science and scientists when it comes to death you can't be deciding what someone sees when they die, because you're limiting your thinking that way, this is a serious thing; if i was you id look more into it, its not a joke because no one knows when they'll pass away and the minute they pass away, its gonna be too late. This is just my personal opinion though don't get offended.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:16 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,579,296 times
Quote:
You might not believe it, but think logically if an innocent child passes away, does it make sense to you that his life is just over, or someone who struggeled his whole life and passes out of nowhere, it does not make sense to me for he/she to be gone forever.
Logically, it makes perfect sense. Death is defined as the permanent cessation of brain activity. When a person's -- even a child or someone who dealt with many struggles -- brain activity ceases, they cease to be. I don't like it, but it is a scientific fact, and it makes perfect sense from an empirical standpoint. We as humans need to stop holding on to the fantasy of an afterlife and invest more in life-extension and disease-elimination research, as those are the only ways we can extend our lives and possibly reach a kind of immortality.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,999,820 times
I agree, northstar22. Life isn't "fair". One can see that all over the world.

I'm still mystified by the idea that Steve Jobs' last words were "prophetic".

Old 11-09-2011, 04:28 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,984,399 times
Quote:
Sense has nothing to do with it, the reality is, the child is dead. Yep, it's over, life can be harsh, then you die, some sooner than later, that's reality.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,800,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I suspect that to be the case for the wondrous Steven J.
)
Of course you do rifleman, of course you do.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:38 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,800,580 times
This whole thing reminds of the time when my grandmaother passed away. I was too young to remember all the complicated medical details but she had suffered for quite a time.

She then slipped in to a coma and the doctors said she had zero chance of coming out of it and that she would soon pass on. I believe she spent about a week in this coma and someone from the family along with hospice care was in the room round the clock.

She was getting worse sp the entire family had come to the house to be around her for her last day or so. { not that she knew.....she was far into her coma by this time.} There were quite a few of us in the room and what happened next I will never forget. She started to say something....... "home"....."home"......"home"...........then, all went quiet.

Not more than a few moments later, she opened her eyes and was awake! She was completely as normal as anyone, taling with her freinds and family, eating to regain strength, and even well enough to take in the baseball game on TV that night. Everyone was shocked, even the hospice worker, and we had high hiopes for her recovery.

It was all in vain though, because sometime through the night, she had slipped back in to her coma, and passed away that afternoon. Now, my family being the Christians they were, believed that when she was saying "home", her spirit was with God and he was calling her home, but let her come back to hyer family for the day to say her goodbye's and allow us to do the same.

What happened here? Was she just dreaming? Was it just a random thought floating around in her head that she verbalised still very drowsy from the coma she had just spent a week in? Or was she at that moment experiencing something.......something supernatural? I dont know, you draw your own conclusions, but it is certainly something that makes you think and wonder.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:06 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,703,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'm still mystified by the idea that Steve Jobs' last words were "prophetic".
Maybe he was having a vision of where Apple stock prices are headed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism