U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2011, 07:16 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 5,948,671 times
Reputation: 1804

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Who would you endorse your 16 year old precious Daughter enjoy the evening with :
I don't have a 16 year old daughter.

Now can you get around to answering my question?

Quote:
A. An 18 year old hormone intensive High School Football Player who follows atheistic ideologies such as man decided morals (if he so chooses) and who views life as unpurposed, without meaning, and who sees no intrinsic value in himself, your daughter, or humanity in step with coming from accidental pond slime ... or....

B. An 18 year old hormone intensive High School Football Player who follows distinctively christian established morals and values and who is wanting to keep his sexuality in check and be a blessing to your Daughter because he feels he has been blessed by God and desires to serve him all his life ?
So the choice is between someone who takes responsibility for their own decisions versus someone who thinks that no matter what they do they'll be forgiven? Seems like the answer is obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2011, 01:50 PM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,929,240 times
Reputation: 1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
There is nothing to "follow" or have "faith" in regarding atheism. Philosophical benefits? What are you talking about???
You must be a junior member of atheism . By default of saying 'there is no supernatural creator (God)' .. you therefore believe in natural sources for origins of our cosmos , earth, and first life (usually naturalism and materialism as a worldview) . None can be repeated so you believe , by faith, that they occured by way of the atheist worldview . Same for Darwinnian Evolution . Think about your life...and if there WAS a personal theistic Creator who created you very specially in addition to the cosmos , what personal implications would you see for yourself ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 01:53 PM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,929,240 times
Reputation: 1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I don't have a 16 year old daughter.

Now can you get around to answering my question?



So the choice is between someone who takes responsibility for their own decisions versus someone who thinks that no matter what they do they'll be forgiven? Seems like the answer is obvious.
Well, pretend you did have one . WHich would you choose for her date if left up to you ?

What is your question in particular ? I get asked ALOT of questions in the threads I am part of and sometimes a question slips by me. So repeat the question you want answered by myself .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Seattle bound
284 posts, read 422,232 times
Reputation: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It is pretty obvious that 007 turned his back on his god for awhile so he could live a rather degenerate lifestyle for awhile and thinks this amounts to atheism.
It's also pretty obvious that since all the posts to him haven't made one dent , he can only identify with what(and why) he did himself and cannot allow for that fact that everybody isn't exactly like him.
The epitome of close mindedness
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 PM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,929,240 times
Reputation: 1793
'
Originally Posted by old_cold
It is pretty obvious that 007 turned his back on his god for awhile so he could live a rather degenerate lifestyle for awhile and thinks this amounts to atheism.
It's also pretty obvious that since all the posts to him haven't made one dent , he can only identify with what(and why) he did himself and cannot allow for that fact that everybody isn't exactly like him.
The epitome of close mindedness'

REPLY: Wrong. I wasnt raised in a CHristian home so i never fell away ; I choose loose living which accompanies the atheist following our cultures hedonistic philosophies . No God = all lifestyles are permissable because theres no ultimate moral culpability. No God = you youre own god .

What kind of a 'dent' was i supposed to experience from atheist posters having an apriori-philosophical commitment to atheism ? Closed mindedness describes the atheist mindset of 'never allowing a divine foot in the door' --- Pop-Evolutionist Prof. Lewontin in a candidly honest moment .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,590,192 times
Reputation: 3235
007.5, atheism is not a "club." There are no members, no tenets, no beliefs. It is just the lack of belief in gods.

I can't speak for all atheists (remember, atheism is not a religion, just a lack of belief in gods), but I strive to live a very moral lifestyle.

I love my family and friends, I treat everyone with compassion and respect, I give to the poor, I care about suffering in the world.

I'm not a sexual hedonist -- I don't believe in orgies or having multiple sexual partners. Personally, I believe in saving sex for a committed relationship based on mutual love and respect.

I don't use drugs, I rarely drink, I spend within my means, I place the needs of others before myself.

And I'm an atheist.

My atheism has nothing to do with how I live, and it is just one very, very small part of who I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 05:38 PM
 
2,946 posts, read 4,884,063 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
An agnostic never has to make up his mind. While the die hard religious folks, and die hard atheists fight with each other convincing the other of each other follies, us agnostics keep an open mind always looking for the answers, realizing that some things are unanswerable!
Atheist hate being called out for the same arrogance and pompous attitude that they accuse the religious for having. So they become highly defensive and call you stupid,uneducated, fence sitter,etc. While the religious call you heathen, damned, degenerate.
Meanwhile the agnostic just sits back and watches the hypocricy in both of them. The atheist and religious actually have a lot in common. They are both absolutely sure they are right and have a whole list of names they will call you if you disagree with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 05:53 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,028,275 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
You must be a junior member of atheism . By default of saying 'there is no supernatural creator (God)' .. you therefore believe in natural sources for origins of our cosmos , earth, and first life (usually naturalism and materialism as a worldview) . None can be repeated so you believe , by faith, that they occured by way of the atheist worldview . Same for Darwinnian Evolution . Think about your life...and if there WAS a personal theistic Creator who created you very specially in addition to the cosmos , what personal implications would you see for yourself ?
First of all, as an atheist, I do not say that "there is no supernatural creator." How should I know? For all I know, there could be hundreds out there! If there is a god, I just have not found any reason to believe in one (as of yet). Secondly, not knowing how the universe started, or if it has always existed in one form or another (no "origin"), is not a "belief". Just because I do not hold a particular belief does not mean that I must therefore hold some alternate belief. Not holding the belief that a god created the universe does not mean that I must therefore hold a particular belief about the universe (which I don't).

It sounds like you are trying to make atheism into a belief system when it is really not. For comparison, let's look at Big Foot. My lack of belief in Big Foot means that I don't hold the belief that Big Foot is hiding in my closet, that Big Foot wrote the bible, or that Big Foot drives a mack truck. Of course, NOT having a belief in the existence of something would mean that one would NOT have any corollary beliefs involving some action by said object. Isn't that obvious? So, would you say that you have a "belief system" based on these things? No. If I don't have a belief in something, my worldview is not made up of all various scenario beliefs involving the actions of something for which I have no belief.

Sure, someone can say to us: “Atheists, do you believe that god made this sandwich?” If we answer “no” then suddenly, something we never even gave serious thought to a minute before, becomes a part of the “atheist belief system” according to some theists. Us NOT having the belief that god made your sandwich suddenly gets turned around to a positive belief that we supposedly hold as part of the “atheist belief system.” Ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,923 posts, read 31,833,210 times
Reputation: 12664
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Atheist hate being called out for the same arrogance and pompous attitude that they accuse the religious for having. So they become highly defensive and call you stupid,uneducated, fence sitter,etc. While the religious call you heathen, damned, degenerate.
Meanwhile the agnostic just sits back and watches the hypocricy in both of them. The atheist and religious actually have a lot in common. They are both absolutely sure they are right and have a whole list of names they will call you if you disagree with them.
Yet another who has no understanding of what it is to be an atheist...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 09:38 PM
 
2,946 posts, read 4,884,063 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yet another who has no understanding of what it is to be an atheist...
I`m not an author but do I have an understanding of what it is to be religious? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top