U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,850,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I had the worldview of an atheist, I lived my life as an atheistic Secular Humanist , I made choices based on atheistic man-made relativistic morals, I didnt believe in the afterlife, I persecuted Christians, mocked God, and matched the results of this 2006 University of Minnesota independent study on Atheists :

'A 2006 study by researchers at the University of
Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in
the United States found atheists to be the most
distrusted of minorities, more so than Muslims,
recent immigrants, gays and lesbians, and other
groups. Many of the respondents associated
atheism with immorality, including criminal behaviour'.

What else would i have had to do in order to be a real Atheist, at the time , in your estimation ? Is it mandatory to stay an Atheist for life in order to have been a bonified one of 10 years ?
I watched Religulous, read Christopher Hitchens, and found it refreshing to not have to be a believer, to be able to question, rather than robotically accept a given understanding. I too joined the mockers on forums. As i listened to the atheists, I saw how cruel they/we could be and how intolerant they were. I see it as worshipping the self, as opposed to a Creator, it turns into a 'me theology'. I see the moral relativity as very harmful to society, so I am choosing to believe. It is so obvious that man is not the highest authority, we are so flawed, so lost without spiritual guidance.
We have the ability to relieve suffereing, but should never be the cause of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,994,349 times
The 'mockers' don't negate the essential correctness of the viewpoint. And it isn't as though the religious don't mock atheists. 'Me theology' is just a buzzphrase. 'Choosing to believe' simply because one doesn't like the attitudes of some atheists seems rather superficial.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 PM

39,203 posts, read 10,887,543 times
I think so. I for one am convinced that a relative morality is what we have anyway, even if attempts are made to follow the supposedly God given moral compass. I don't buy the argument that we need an absolute morality, far less that should be a reason to believe in a creator that one had (so we are told above) ceased to believe in.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The 'mockers' don't negate the essential correctness of the viewpoint. And it isn't as though the religious don't mock atheists. 'Me theology' is just a buzzphrase. 'Choosing to believe' simply because one doesn't like the attitudes of some atheists seems rather superficial.
That is not what I said. Throw in a civil society, pursuit of excellence and virtue, then you're on the right track. Following the Ten Commandments is not asking so much. If you believe in nothing, then all you have is ego and lawyers that guide your behavior.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,994,349 times
But I don't "believe in nothing", just no gods. I do see the need for ethical behavior ( a "civil society"), which many of the Ten Commandments espouse. The Ten Commandments are asking too much when it comes to the god-related ones. We should be able to see the value of treating one another equitably without being threatened or rewarded by a god.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:52 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,941,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
That is not what I said. Throw in a civil society, pursuit of excellence and virtue, then you're on the right track. Following the Ten Commandments is not asking so much.
Do we also have to follow the penalties laid out for breaking the OT commandments? Pretending it's "not much" to put children to death for disrespecting their parents is kind of a stretch.

Also, which set of 10 commandments are you talking about, and why do you differentiate them from the rest of the OT laws?

Old 12-03-2011, 11:29 AM

733 posts, read 530,620 times
I'm neither atheist nor agnostic. I'm non-theist. God is not spiritually relevent whether or not he exists (though I think the existence of some Christian views of God are in fact, impossible). This is the position of Buddhists in general, the question of a Creator's existence is not relevent to the reality of life, suffering and the end of suffering.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Do we also have to follow the penalties laid out for breaking the OT commandments? Pretending it's "not much" to put children to death for disrespecting their parents is kind of a stretch.

Also, which set of 10 commandments are you talking about, and why do you differentiate them from the rest of the OT laws?
How does thou shalt not kill equate to killing children? I am only aware of one set of Ten Commandments. Would you like me to post them for you?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:02 PM

You could call agnostics open-minded, I look at it as a cop out. Belief in nothing is so much easier than believing in something. A don't know, don't care attitude is a leaf blowing in the wind, whichever way the wind blows is where you will find yourself.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:25 PM

39,203 posts, read 10,887,543 times
I have to say that the agnostic or non - religious theist or Deist has an advantage in that it is rather easier to explain everything with 'God' than stick with the logical position of 'don't know - yet; don't believe - yet'.

I know that it logically the right position but it isn't always easy, especially when one has to explain why we have a moon at just the right distance to make the tides we need. Sometimes believing in 'something' that mustha dunnit is a lot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism