U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:52 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,741,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
An atheist claims something doesnt exist just because they cant see it, yet and agnostic acknowledges that it could possibly exist but wont be convinced until seeing it firsthand!
That's not what an atheist believes - an atheist is simply without belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 06:55 PM

11,403 posts, read 7,370,683 times
Technically, almost everyone is an atheist, unless you believe every religion and believe in every deity every created. Christians are atheists when it comes to Hinduism. Muslims are atheists when it comes to Buddhism.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:58 PM

443 posts, read 474,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm pretty sure most scientists now think the universe will just continue to expand. The expansion is picking up speed, which leads them to believe that the big crunch won't happen.
Not here to discuss if there is going to be a big crunch or a big freeze.

Just I have always agreed with Trey Parker's saying since I was like 14 and thought the whole Jesus stuff I was fed was kind of silly.

Truth is nobody knows why the universe has ever existed and what is all behind it. I am not going to say something definite because that would be silly as saying Joseph Smith was a prophet.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Not here to discuss if there is going to be a big crunch or a big freeze.

Just I have always agreed with Trey Parker's saying since I was like 14 and thought the whole Jesus stuff I was fed was kind of silly.

Truth is nobody knows why the universe has ever existed and what is all behind it. I am not going to say something definite because that would be silly as saying Joseph Smith was a prophet.
I don't think using science to observe the universe is equally as silly as just making up stories to try and explain our surroundings. To me it is pointless to try and figure out how or why I'm here or why the universe is here. I just am here. I think the better pursuit is to learn and grow with age.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,498,022 times
I thought an agnostic was someone who didn't give a crap about religious beliefs, be they theistic or atheistic beliefs.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I thought an agnostic was someone who didn't give a crap about religious beliefs, be they theistic or atheistic beliefs.
I thought "not giving a crap about religious beliefs" was what atheism is.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:10 PM

1,433 posts, read 996,853 times
I consider myself an agnostic theist. I believe in some sort of god or "higher being". I don't stress over it though because no one will be able to prove the existence of a god one way or another.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:15 PM

443 posts, read 474,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I don't think using science to observe the universe is equally as silly as just making up stories to try and explain our surroundings. To me it is pointless to try and figure out how or why I'm here or why the universe is here. I just am here. I think the better pursuit is to learn and grow with age.
That isn't saying science is just as silly as making up stories like religions do. Observation of the universe through science and explanation of philosophical reasoning are two different things, but they collate together for anybody when they ponder the question why or how?

Atheist use the logic - God can not be proven, so there for there is no God
Agnostics use the logic - The Universe has so much yet to be proven and so many questions, so there for I can't determine if there is a God or not.

Anyways I love these philosophical topics. But it always just ends up a waste of time on forums, especially this one.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,631,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes you cannot disprove something that does not exist. We've been telling Christian lemmings this fact for Decades.
You cannot prove it doesn't exist either so you are in the same boat as the Christians who do believe.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
That isn't saying science is just as silly as making up stories like religions do. Observation of the universe through science and explanation of philosophical reasoning are two different things, but they collate together for anybody when they ponder the question why or how?

Atheist use the logic - God can not be proven, so there for there is no God
Agnostics use the logic - The Universe has so much yet to be proven and so many questions, so there for I can't determine if there is a God or not.

Anyways I love these philosophical topics. But it always just ends up a waste of time on forums, especially this one.
I took the Trey Parker quote as being a shot at science. It seemed like he was saying that the scientific account, even though he got it wrong, was more silly than a religious account. To me that's just dumb. But anyway, not really a big deal.

On a side note, I always think that it is interesting how people need absolute evidence to believe almost anything actually happened except when it comes to religion and God. To me it seems like most people should be atheist until God proved his or her existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism