U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 PM
 
1,147 posts, read 781,219 times
Reputation: 388

Advertisements

My godlessness is better than your godlessness, and I can prove it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 PM
 
443 posts, read 473,871 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I took the Trey Parker quote as being a shot at science. It seemed like he was saying that the scientific account, even though he got it wrong, was more silly than a religious account. To me that's just dumb. But anyway, not really a big deal.

On a side note, I always think that it is interesting how people need absolute evidence to believe almost anything actually happened except when it comes to religion and God. To me it seems like most people should be atheist until God proved his or her existence.
Trey Parker's quote isn't a shot at science. He is saying that for him to believe that the universe to just be happen out of nothing, to create complex life forms like you and I, just out of cause, sounds silly. Meaning that he finds that that there must be something behind the amazing creation of the universe. To believe that it all just happened out of cause sounds silly.

I agree with him. I would say that I actually do hold a faith. I have faith that the universe just didn't happen just "because". Maybe I am stupid for having that faith. If so, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,087 posts, read 17,578,558 times
Reputation: 10299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Gotta make up your mind at some point.
We'll all find out soon enough.

[agnostic]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 PM
 
Location: MW
1,433 posts, read 996,072 times
Reputation: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Trey Parker's quote isn't a shot at science. He is saying that for him to believe that the universe to just be happen out of nothing, to create complex life forms like you and I, just out of cause, sounds silly. Meaning that he finds that that there must be something behind the amazing creation of the universe. To believe that it all just happened out of cause sounds silly.

I agree with him. I would say that I actually do hold a faith. I have faith that the universe just didn't happen just "because". Maybe I am stupid for having that faith. If so, so be it.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Holly Springs
3,890 posts, read 9,563,389 times
Reputation: 3056
I would consider myself agnostic and find it humorous that others look at it as "not being able to make up my mind". Staunchly denying a higher power is the same as staunchly believing it. I am in the camp that the question is not answerable at this point in history, so making a decision is a moot point and also irrelevant to any higher powers existence. If there is a higher power that can create this universe, do you really believe it would need hero worship from us to feel validated? If anything, my definition of god is anything science cannot yet explain. Obviously that line will never be static so I must correct my own thoughts on the subject as I gather additional information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,201 posts, read 10,431,779 times
Reputation: 11220
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You cannot prove it doesn't exist either so you are in the same boat as the Christians who do believe.
This is a common argument used against atheists, but it also opens up the philosophy that you believe in every figment of everyone's imagination, simply because you're convinced that, without evidence, it doesn't exist.
For example, I consider myself a non-believer in unicorns who shoot rainbows out of their rectums, because I've never seen one, and there is no evidence one has ever existed. But by your argument, you are a believer in rainbow-farting unicorns because you're convinced they don't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM
 
11,390 posts, read 7,358,416 times
Reputation: 4536
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Trey Parker's quote isn't a shot at science. He is saying that for him to believe that the universe to just be happen out of nothing, to create complex life forms like you and I, just out of cause, sounds silly. Meaning that he finds that that there must be something behind the amazing creation of the universe. To believe that it all just happened out of cause sounds silly.

I agree with him. I would say that I actually do hold a faith. I have faith that the universe just didn't happen just "because". Maybe I am stupid for having that faith. If so, so be it.
And that's fine. That's faith. Science can't say why the universe happened, to do so wouldn't be scientific because it's not something that can be tested and proved. Science tries to explain things once everything started happening. Before that is anyone's guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,563,848 times
Reputation: 27566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This is a common argument used against atheists, but it also opens up the philosophy that you believe in every figment of everyone's imagination, simply because you're convinced that, without evidence, it doesn't exist.
For example, I consider myself a non-believer in unicorns who shoot rainbows out of their rectums, because I've never seen one, and there is no evidence one has ever existed. But by your argument, you are a believer in rainbow-farting unicorns because you're convinced they don't exist.
Belief and proof are two different concepts.
Believe whatever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Exeter, NH
5,302 posts, read 4,407,021 times
Reputation: 5705
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall84 View Post
I am not an Atheist personally I hate religion I think of it that way. I believe its all fairy tale. I don't consider myself an Atheist because they claim there is proof god and satan don't exist etc but to me there is always a chance they might I just personally don't care. Organized religion is an opiate for the masses.
Agree with you totally, and I always thought the definition of agnostic was exactly what you describe. I've also heard a good additional concept of an agnostic, that even if a god (or gods) did exist, he (or they) don't care about human beings and have nothing to do with them.

Frankly, if I believed in a God that really watched what was going on here on earth, I'd think he was sadist. Unlike fairy tales, evil triumphs over good about 99% of the time from what I've seen, and the best people usually have lives of constant horrendous luck, bad breaks, and one-in-a-million devastating hits that take away everything they've earned, every time their hard work gets them ahead a little bit. Of course, had I been born into the wealthy upper class, I'd think the world was a place of perfection and I'd also be demanding "higher taxes for the rich" to ease my liberal guilt (without having a clue that the "rich" are working class highly educated professionals, not the trust-fund kids like me). That's probably why our elected aristocrats think things are MUCH better in America than they really are--for them, things ARE great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 PM
 
3,271 posts, read 2,640,802 times
Reputation: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I thought "not giving a crap about religious beliefs" was what atheism is.
It was before some dummies decided to make a negative assertion as a matter of faith the new definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top