U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2011, 08:50 PM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,565 posts, read 5,407,269 times
Reputation: 4149

Advertisements

One interesting concept about being some innocent kid in an atheist summer camp is that if god were real, he'd kill you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2011, 04:30 AM
 
39,202 posts, read 10,880,280 times
Reputation: 5093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Unless something is being worshipped I personally don't consider it a church or religion. Maybe a philosophy or interest but beyond that I don't see it.
That's a pretty good distinction. Though of course it leaves it open to theist apologists to indulge in some semantic fiddling with the definition of 'worship'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,310 posts, read 10,350,640 times
Reputation: 2612
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Heres a few trappings that come to mind...besides, the U.S. Government recognizes atheistic Secular Humanism as an organized Religion :

1. It is highly organized thruout this nation. There are many large
Atheist Organizations that would love a greater constituency.
2. There are even Atheist Camps thruout the nation with a well
publicized large one in Ohio.
3. They meet regularly to discuss local and national agendas which
include the ridiculing of Theists and Christians .
4. The Atheist Organizations collect dues regularly just like Churches
collect free will offerings on a Sunday to cover overhead, expenses,
activities, and material distribution.
5. They have very large national Conferences yearly just like Church
Denominations do. A very large one was held last year in Colorado.
6. There are active Internet Atheist NG's to educate followers in the
sheer impossibility of matter and naturalism accounting for the many
many complex designs and engineering of our Universe, Solar System,
Planet, Human Bodys, DNA, et al...
7. They want macro evolution theories taught as 'scientific fact' in
public schools without ANY time for scientific Creationism/ I.D.
What is it about you and this 'atheism is a religion' nonsense?? You'd just love it to be classed as a religion wouldn't you....it would make your day wouldn't it? Why is that - is it so that you could then say 'See? You're just as daft as we we are'.

Anyway, what if it did become classed as a religion? So what? At least we would be able to claim 'Truth' (capital 'T' for extra effect).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 06:04 AM
 
39,202 posts, read 10,880,280 times
Reputation: 5093
Good post Raffs. In any case, while it it logically correct to say that atheism is NOT a religion, even it if it were, it would be a religion founded on reason, not on faith. And then we would get the oll equivocation - illogic that we all have 'faith'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 AM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,565 posts, read 5,407,269 times
Reputation: 4149
It's just another one of their methods that they dream will help to reinforce and certify their imaginary coping device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,764,643 times
Reputation: 1590
Atheism certainly is a belief system in that, unlike Agnostics, many Atheists tout their sense of certainty in what they believe, i.e. "There is no God". They are not content to say "I don't know if there is a God". That is what makes Atheism seem more like a religion. Many Atheists are as zealous as any religious person -- it's an emotional thing for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,284,580 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Atheism certainly is a belief system in that, unlike Agnostics, many Atheists tout their sense of certainty in what they believe, i.e. "There is no God". They are not content to say "I don't know if there is a God".
That is indeed the strawman of atheists that most theists would like to erect, but if for once you would put the straw man down and listen to what the vast majority of atheists on this forum and others are telling you, this is NOT what they say at all.

I, for example, simply say the following: If someone comes up with an idea but that idea is ENTIRELY devoid of evidence, data, reasons or arguments to substantiate it in any way.... simply dismiss the idea and move on without it.

Not GIVEN the claim there is a god is not just slightly, but ENTIRELY unsubstantiated, it fits that claim. At no point am I saying "There is no God".

However even then I think that you are putting too much stock in the phrase "There is no God". If I were to tell you there was a pink unicorn with a human head for a tail and insect wings standing behind you.... without turning around you can not know 100% that it is not true. You would still say "There is no such unicorn" however because this is a statement of the most obvious conclusion based on the evidence.... or in this case the lack of evidence.

Similarly you will find that most people who say "There is no God" are not saying "I know 100% there is no god". They are saying "The idea there is a god is JUST as substantiated as the pink unicorn, insect, human hybrid... which is to say not substantiated at all.... and so we can confidently operate and proceed under the position that there is no such entity".

The trick that you are playing here, or have had played on you and are regurgitating here, is to pretend therefore that atheists are expressing a level of certainty that exceeds even that of the theists with their fantasies. This is not so. The person who says "There is no god" is merely expressing the most likely Truth based on the entire lack of evidence for the claim.

In short: Atheism is as much like a religion as NOT collecting stamps is a hobby and NOT playing football is a sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,565 posts, read 5,407,269 times
Reputation: 4149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Many Atheists are as zealous as any religious person -- it's an emotional thing for them.
Would you be surprised if we got emotional about situations like this?:

26 Suicides Blamed On Pedophile Priests
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 11:54 AM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,922,529 times
Reputation: 1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What is it about you and this 'atheism is a religion' nonsense?? You'd just love it to be classed as a religion wouldn't you....it would make your day wouldn't it? Why is that - is it so that you could then say 'See? You're just as daft as we we are'.

Anyway, what if it did become classed as a religion? So what? At least we would be able to claim 'Truth' (capital 'T' for extra effect).
If im a Religionist, then so are you ! We just surrender to two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2011, 12:02 PM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,565 posts, read 5,407,269 times
Reputation: 4149
Yesssss, and pretending to surrender to our disconnected imaginary friends helps gives credence to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top