U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 AM

11 posts, read 61,572 times

Advertisements

Just don't tell anyone you're an atheist and you'll be fine

Our culture and holidays are predominately Christian, IN GOD WE TRUST is our motto and on currency, churches everywhere, very religious people etc.

Last edited by Hazme; 11-30-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,919,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Not a single one of those questions are inherently theistic or require God(s) as their answer. "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable reply. Children must be indoctrinated into believing in a god - and almost invariably it's the one their parents were indoctrinated into believing in.
A personal Source is ALWAYS requred for everything personal and where there are distinct traces of intelligence being at work . The OP will do fine as an atheist living in California just so long as he doesnt play the charade too vehemently in public otherwise someone will set him straight in an effort to snap him out of the excusal charade. Regards.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:35 AM

4,558 posts, read 5,403,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
The OP will do fine as an atheist living in California just so long as he doesnt play the charade too vehemently in public
Right, don't wear your FSM hat out in public too often.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,884,776 times
Quote:
A personal Source is ALWAYS requred for everything personal and where there are distinct traces of intelligence being at work .
Intelligence of course being the operative word. The god of the Bible is NOT in any sense a being of notable intellect. His emotional and intellectual capacity are strangely on par with the bronze age simpletons who created him. A creator of universes he's not.

Quote:
The OP will do fine as an atheist living in California just so long as he doesnt play the charade too vehemently in public otherwise someone will set him straight in an effort to snap him out of the excusal charade. Regards.
I would absolutely LOVE for you or any other of your little fundie friends to try and "snap me" out of my "charade". You'd learn quite quickly that the only charade going on is the storybook personal god and the afterlife you believe in...

Old 11-30-2011, 01:33 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,732,736 times
Quote:
A personal Source is ALWAYS requred for everything personal and where there are distinct traces of intelligence being at work . The OP will do fine as an atheist living in California just so long as he doesnt play the charade too vehemently in public otherwise someone will set him straight in an effort to snap him out of the excusal charade. Regards.
What a ridiculous statement to make.

Good grief, I'd love to see someone try that. I am an open atheist at work and no-one has tried to 'snap me out' of anything.

Utter nonsense.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:24 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,385,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcroc View Post
Hi - I'm soon to be moving to Monterey CA with my family, and my son will be due to start school. We're Aussies, and Australia's a very, very secular society. The only two people I know who go to church regularly are a very religious aunt and our military chaplain.
Oh, you're godless? Then come to L.A.! SoCal welcomes you! ETA: Oh ack, didn't even see that you said "Monterey"...well anyhoo, come on down and see us some time!

Just kidding...sort of! (a little humor from a fellow "non-believer")

Last edited by JerZ; 11-30-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 PM

51 posts, read 64,599 times
I'm a she. And my children have never even heard the word 'God'. They're only 2 and 4, but I'll teach them about a number of different religions and will introduce them to the idea of accepting anyone regardless of what they believe.

0.075 what's the benefit in trying to 'snap' people out of anything? Would you appreciate someone who followed another faith trying to snap you out of yours? And sorry, I can and will be open about atheism where it applies. Unlike some, I don't see a need to go around trying to convince anyone who doesn't ask of my views, Here, for example, I'd be among the large proportion of parents who would opt their children out of any religious classes. I'm also strongly in favour of scrapping religion and chaplaincy programs from schools, as chaplains - rather than providing the secular pastoral care the program alleges - in fact often try to convert students in crisis. I strongly support the current high court challenge on that front, as I believe no public organisation for the use of all should ever 'choose sides' and favour one culture or religious group over another. In a secular society, religion should be approached in an 'each to their own' way. 0.075 is that so very hard to cope with?

You don't have to worry about me going up to random people, trying to convert them to my 'cause' because atheism isn't a cause. I'll be honest if someone asks whether I'm religious.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:44 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,385,522 times
Quote:
Do you live in Central CA?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:48 PM

4,558 posts, read 5,403,175 times
Where's RM?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,114,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcroc View Post
I'd be among the large proportion of parents who would opt their children out of any religious classes. I'm also strongly in favour of scrapping religion and chaplaincy programs from schools
Do the Australian public schoold actually have "religious classes" and "chaplaincy programs"? I have never heard of things like that in Virginia, and I doubt they have that in California.

From what I read, California is pretty screwed up. One school even told its students they could not wear a shirt with an American flag because it might upset the kids from Mexico. Obviously, they consider Cinquo de Mayo (or whatever it is) to be more important than the American Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or