U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you celebrate Christmas
Yes 48 73.85%
No 17 26.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 03:27 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,407,831 times

Advertisements

I'm a progressive Christian and my wife is a Liberal Jew, so I guess you could say we half-assedly celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah. You know: we put up a little fake xmas tree, and some decorations we each have a stocking/// And she takes out her Mennorah for the 8 days of lights thing or whatever the heck it is. But hey! This year we're gonna be down in Cabo for xmas week, so we'll be worshipping to the Sun God! LOL.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 12-07-2011 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 03:30 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,793,445 times
Nope, don't celebrate. But we do exchange presents, put up the stupid tree, and make a big meal on the actual day itself. We celebrate "Commericalism".

Old 12-07-2011, 09:20 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,346,617 times
No one in my family is what you could describe as overly religious, although those who practice Christianity are more vocal about it than the rest of us. That's fine, we were all raised to find the path that speaks to our own heart.

That said, my family does gather, to the extent that we can, for dinner and exchanging gifts on December 25. Most of us have that day off, so it is very convenient. We take it for what it is to us...a day to celebrate family.

My husband and I are Pagan, so we have a special dinner on the Winter Solstice and open our gifts to each other on that night. We also meet with a group of local Pagans to celebrate our holiday in community with others.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 PM

30,695 posts, read 33,462,187 times
I play along with the traditions but in a low key way. I'm less and less into it as they years go by. Now that the kids are grown I don't spend much time or effort anymore.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:56 AM

857 posts, read 1,260,015 times
I don't see Xmas as a religious holiday. To me its about getting together with family and watching the classic movies like Christmas Vacation and Home Alone. We usually have a big meal and exchange gifts but nobody in my family goes to church.

I also think The Muppet Christmas Carol is not only a classic but sums up my feelings about Christmas. It shows all the themes of caring for others and getting together with family without any mention of Jesus or any other religious tones other than "God bless us, everyone" from tiny tim. Unless you consider the ghosts religious...

Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 AM

224 posts, read 590,982 times
Of course i do. I dont care if it's christian, it's still a massive part of my culture!!!

Also it's a tradition and you can seriously doubt how religious christmas is these days. Most things about christmas arent really christian, Santa,decorations etc.

But im not going attend church.

I actually think it's rather silly of atheists who don't celebrate christmas.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:17 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,564,992 times
Why is it silly? Why don't you celebrate Diwali, Hanukkah, or Solstice? Why only Christian holidays?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 AM

8,779 posts, read 7,963,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Why is it silly? Why don't you celebrate Diwali, Hanukkah, or Solstice? Why only Christian holidays?

Because Christmas, for good or ill, has become much more of a secular holiday than any religious celebration for most people?

I don't celebrate Diwali, Hanukkah or Solstice because it's not part of the culture I was raised in. Why is this confusing?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,172,629 times
I do celebrate it however I don't decorate my house with things like angels , nativity scenes , crosses etc. Its lights and silly ornaments like charlie brown and twilight lol. Its not a religious holiday for me its just about being with family and appreciating each other.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:05 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,409,686 times
I'm an atheist who unabashedly celebrates Christmas!

Of course, said celebration refers to gathering and sharing food and drink with extended family, and the practice of considering/choosing/finding gifts for people, and then enjoying the moment when said gifts are open.
It most certainly has no recognition of any deity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism