U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:36 PM

6 posts, read 7,585 times

Advertisements

Few question to athest (Very curious)....

# Why can't you just believe in God, but don't attend any religious service?

# If someone tells you "God bless you", "Have a blessed day" etc. what would you respond & your reaction?

# Why can't you as an atheist just call yourself agnostic?

# When you die, how do you want your family and friends perform for you? What about prayers?

# What do you think when you see religious symbols surrounding you everywhere?

# Would you get married to a religious person?

# What would you do if your children wants to go to a religious service, and want to believe in God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 03:18 PM

4,385 posts, read 2,983,422 times

many people do this...and therefore are not called atheists

# If someone tells you "God bless you", "Have a blessed day" etc. what would you respond & your reaction?

thank you

can't think of any reason to do that

# When you die, how do you want your family and friends perform for you? What about prayers?

whatever makes them most content

don't care

yes

# What would you do if your children wants to go to a religious service, and want to believe in God?

be visibly supportive

Old 12-09-2011, 03:21 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,209,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph W View Post

I'm sure plenty of people do. Religion and Spirituality are really two different things.

Not believing in god because there is no evidence of god beyond what is barfed up over the pulpit is common sense though, not a mental malfunction.

Nothing, though I can't think of a time something like that was said to me in real life without being hollow and facetious.

Like the word "Christian", definitions "atheist" and "agnostic" tend to vary widely depending on who is giving the definition.

They can do whatever they want to feel better about my passing. I'll be dead and really won't care.

I could care less. Our word is chock-full of symbolism and I see it for what it is; symbols of human hopes, aspirations and fears... just not MY personal symbols for the same sort of feelings and concerns.

I did.

It's hell, it really is. We are on the edge of divorce at this very moment over religion, but I'm determined to make it work AND not surrender my own hard-learned beliefs.

It's up to them to find their way with regards to religion. I refuse to force them one way or anther. I have worked hard to teach them critical thinking skills and to remember to look at an issue from many different perspectives though. No brainwashing will happen in my house.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:41 PM

3,564 posts, read 6,182,415 times

*Why can't people just accept Santa IS real along with the Easter Bunny and Leprechauns? I mean I see proof of them everywhere all the time. They have books on them with lots of stories of great adventures. Is it that far fetched to think they are real? Noooooo

*Usually I smile and don't respond

*Because that would mean believing and some form of a higher power. Which I do not. I feel like these questions are hinting towards athiests being in denial that they don't believe. Believe me I am SURE I do not.

*No prayers just a plain memorial is fine but I'llbe gone anyways so do whatever u want really

*Sometimes i really annoys me cause I get gasps and /or people saying I'm heartless for posting an athiest quote or whatever when every day people post psalms and or things like "Thank you Jesus for this or that" yet thats totally acceptable? Why is my contradiction to your belief any more inconsiderate than your blatent disreguard to mine? I don't go out of my way to make a point of lots crosses everywhere or anything but I think because I live in a retirement community and the older generation is fairly set in religious values I see it more than I would if I perhaps lived in a less old-ish place

* My husband is Catholic as is his family. We did not have any religious prayers etc in our wedding. Nor did we get married in a church. He is not OVERLY religious tho and sways toward being a liberal Catholic if you will.

*When she's 18 she can do whatever she wants

Old 12-09-2011, 06:27 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,177,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph W

I did.

It's hell, it really is. We are on the edge of divorce at this very moment over religion, but I'm determined to make it work AND not surrender my own hard-learned beliefs.

You see? Hell does exist! j/k I hope you and your wife are able to work things out, I can only imagine how challenging that would be.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:47 PM

3,881 posts, read 7,312,204 times
Why attend services if you don't believe? They aren't fun, enlightening, interesting, engaging, paid and there is zero benefit to me at all.

Thanks. They mean well and that's all that matters to me. Not going to turn down well wishes.

Actually I do but I slant toward atheism. I see nothing wrong with either.

Donate my body to science and medicine and then throw a huge bash in my honor. Remember all the good times, laugh, drink, eat, make jokes, just for one night, remember me and my life and have a great time!

Nothing really. They are no different than emblems on cars, store signs, billboards or street debris. After awhile, you don't notice them anymore.

No. I married another non-believer. I do not want religion in my household,

*sigh* If they want to go to church, fine. I can take them. Once. Or they can go with another. And later we can discuss what they learned and what they thought. If they wanted to believe in a god, that is up to them. As long as they could respect that Mommy and Daddy do now and there's nothing wrong with it, then I'll deal.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,975,384 times
Quote:

Because I cannot "just believe" in the impossible. Likely the very same reason you don't believe in pink polka dotted unicorns.

Depends on who it is, their agenda in doing so, and my mood at the time.

Because I'm certain, because the concept of a god is not just improbable, but impossible.

Cremate me, have the crematorium deliver my ashes to the Veterans Cemetery. No hocus pocus, no bronze age rituals, and no talking to imaginary things.

It is terrifying for our future to see the hold that a bronze age superstition has on what should be a modern, progressive, educated society.

All depends on the person, it could be a deal breaker, it could not be an issue at all. However I would never pretend or play along or change my beliefs.

What age "children" are you talking about. A 6 year old that come home all hell bent on going, I'm going to do a little digging and find out who and why someone is trying to sway their beliefs. There are too many predators out there.
Responses in bold

Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,500,026 times
Quote:
I can no more believe in a god than I can believe in fairies and elves. I do attend services at the Unitarian Universalist church.
Quote:
"Thank you."
Quote:
I am both agnostic and atheist. I am agnostic because I believe it is impossible to know for sure whether or not there is a god, and I am an atheist because while acknowledging I can't know, I find the likelihood of a god existing is very, very low. I call myself atheist, because I don't want people to think that I am unsure or ambiguous about god's existence or that there is some hope that if they just witness enough to me that I'll believe, because that is not the case.
Quote:
I want to be cremated. If my family wants to have a service in remembrance of me or a funeral or offer a prayer, that is up to them, those things are for the living. I will be dead.
Quote:
I don't think much of anything about it.
Quote:
I was religious when I got married, and my wife was religious as well. I became an atheist/agnostic first and she became one too shortly thereafter.
Quote:
Again we are members of the UU church, and our children go with us. Many UU's are atheist. If my children want to believe in god, it is their choice, but I want to make sure they know the reasons why their mom and me are atheist.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:07 PM

659 posts, read 992,939 times
I do not know which church god would approve of, he cant approve of all of them, we all cant be right, so I dont go cause I am not sure, and also I am not sure I do or can believe anyhow, so its a waste of time to go there and not really believe, seems wrong to me...

I consider myself to be agnostic, not an atheist, for i think its possible but am not sure...

I tell the person thank you as they are being polite and I want to repay that to show my appreciation.

I would want prayers just in case, to pray over me and ask god to forgive me for my confusion...and I would not want to be cremated, but in a mauseolm...if possible...

I would love for my child to be a chrisitan but only if she was sincere about it, god knows if we are lying or to pleasing people by lying to ourselves...but I would be careful of what church, many predators use the church to molest...so I would be very very careful to keep an eye on thimgs..

thats my two cents!

I would marry a christan but my husband is an atheist....not against it. And I dont hate religious symbols...why would I ? I want to beleve in Jesus, but just cant seem to do that....and if I did believe in one true religion, it would be the christian relgion or nothing...

Old 12-09-2011, 09:47 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,368,254 times
Why can't you just believe in God, but don't attend any religious service?
to please who? I don't believe in fairytales and that's that

I usually ignore that type thing to avoid a discussion, and if they insist on a response I tell them I don't believe in all that...

why don't I just compromise to make others feel comfortable?...
no way!

Cremate me or bury me, it's all the same to me...I prefer no services or any talking to deities but if you must, it'd be just to make yourself feel comfy...

those religious people have not progressed as far as they would like the world to think, they laugh at "savages" and "lost tribes" but are no further along the evolutionary line than the people they laugh at...

no..I don't need any debates

let them do as they see fit but keep it out of my house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism