U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:37 AM

4,883 posts, read 3,972,759 times

Advertisements

Did I mention that for the majority of us, we respect the laws of our nation and state, not choosing to enforce "gods laws" which includes everything from violating another person's civil rights all the way to hijacking airplanes and flying them into skyscrapers?
The Athesists I have known have been some of the most strait-laced people when it comes to follow the law.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 AM

39,033 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
It would be illogical for an atheist to help people who can barely help themselves.

What benefit would it be for an atheist to decrease their prosperity to benefit someone that can potentially further encroach on their economic well being?

If you are an atheist, you only have one life to live, as you are little more than dust in the wind. With that said, it would be intelligent to steal when you feel like you can get away with it as well.

There would be no reason for a moral imperative because those who you steal from are essentially stealing from you in the sense that they are living on your world and using your resources.

From a political perspective as an atheist, if I were in power, I would consider making a collusion with other world leaders in getting rid of the majority of the population and enslaving the rest.

Why would I want them taking my resources? I only live once.

Fortunately, I am not an atheist.
I'd never have guessed.

Fortunately as i am not a theist I don't see atheism as precluding compassion for my fellow humans and indeed, it is of a more altruistic nature than that of the theist, since there is no question of getting any personal reward out of it.

As for your view of world domination, it is as reprehensible to me as it is (I hope) to you, unless of course you get it in your head that a god has actually ordered that. It wouldn't be the first time.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,884,030 times
Quote:
It would be illogical for an atheist to help people who can barely help themselves.

What benefit would it be for an atheist to decrease their prosperity to benefit someone that can potentially further encroach on their economic well being?

If you are an atheist, you only have one life to live, as you are little more than dust in the wind. With that said, it would be intelligent to steal when you feel like you can get away with it as well.

There would be no reason for a moral imperative because those who you steal from are essentially stealing from you in the sense that they are living on your world and using your resources.

From a political perspective as an atheist, if I were in power, I would consider making a collusion with other world leaders in getting rid of the majority of the population and enslaving the rest.

That's right. You believe in a god who will forgive all the wrongs and evils you do in your life just by asking. In your moral framework, all Hitler had to do before the end was to ask Jeesus to forgive him and he would spend an eternity in heaven, forgiven of all his atrocities.

Quote:
If we live in a world where everybody believes there are ultimately no consequences for our actions, are you so naive to believe that no one will have the courage to take advantage of this situation?
This applies a thousand fold to Christians. Your moral imperative in this life is lower than any atheists, since you believe that you will also be forgiven and rewarded for eternity afterwards in spite of your sins.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 AM

10,305 posts, read 11,216,655 times
Quote:

Not only are you not an atheist, you clearly know nothing about atheists.

Since you're new here you might want to heed this old piece of advice:

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak, and remove all doubt.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 AM

16,088 posts, read 17,884,603 times
Quote:
But we evolve.

If we live in a world where everybody believes there are ultimately no consequences for our actions, are you so naive to believe that no one will have the courage to take advantage of this situation?

Of course, there are consequences for our actions, they don't take place after we die.

If I'm in a leadership position, why should I care about you unless there is something that you do to give me pleasure and benefit my life?

If you want to keep your leadership position, you would need to benefit those you lead. It's a cooperative thing. If you are not giving benefit to those you lead, you will not stay in the position of leadership.

If not, are you anything more than a parasite?

There is only so much pie to go around, so why should somebody else who essentially is as valuable as water vapor, be able to eat my pie?

In reality, the world produces more than enough to feed the current population. The hunger problem lies not with the amount of food being produced, but rather with how this food is distributed. Too many people are simply too poor to buy the food that is available, and too few people have the land or the financial capability to grow food for themselves.
The solution lies in finding a way to distribute the food that takes this into account.

Why should I make sacrafices, in many cases, to people I don't know and won't even know exactly how they benefited as I will most likely not see it with my own eyes?

They may as well not even exist. If there is poverty in the first place, that means there are not enough resources to go around for the population.

No, that isn't why there is poverty. There is poverty NOW because there is not a good way to distribute those resources and because not every person has an equal opportunity to succeed.

So the logical decision would be to decrease the population.

Over time, people will become desensitized to genocide of a people for their own social economic benefit.

I am for decreasing the population, but the means would need to be contraception and education. In fact zero population growth is a decent goal. Atheists are no more likely to become desensitized to violence than any religious people are. In fact, your Christian God has committed genocide more than once and I don't see religious people protesting that.

Secrets of the Bible: Thou Shalt Commit Genocide

We evolve... Do we not?
Of course we evolve, but evolution doesn't have much to do with *how* people think. Evolution is about survival of the entire group, not of individuals. Individuals don't *evolve.*

Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 AM

16,088 posts, read 17,884,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Did I mention that for the majority of us, we respect the laws of our nation and state, not choosing to enforce "gods laws" which includes everything from violating another person's civil rights all the way to hijacking airplanes and flying them into skyscrapers?
The Atheists I have known have been some of the most strait-laced people when it comes to follow the law.
I agree. Atheists who don't like laws tend to protest them in the courts or to hold legal demonstrations against them.

Not only that, but the atheist team on Kiva is now at $6,000,000 in loans beating every other team. The atheists I know are more generous with their time and money than many Christians. Our causes are different in that we don't try to proselytize those we help in this world.

Kiva - Loans that change lives

Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 AM

1,387 posts, read 2,165,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I find it deeply disturbing how many theists seem to think that if tonight they lost their indoctrinated fear of their god(s), they'd all wake tomorrow as unhinged sociopaths.
I really don't think very many theists feel this way.
I have mainly heard this sentiment from Kansarado/Theogeek/Calvinist.
And just a couple others. Most theists that come to this forum pay attention enough to know that atheism is not equal to immorality.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:02 AM

13,570 posts, read 21,713,951 times
Since the originator of this thread is no longer available for comment it is closed..

ps.. thanking all the atheists for your time, money and talents to the less fortunate among us regardless of our worldviews
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or