U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2011, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,377,077 times
Reputation: 3735

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There are three professions that make their living with their mouth, politicians, preachers and prostitutes, and I support none of them with my $$$.

Atheists donate to charities where a much greater portion goes to actually helping people. Atheist actually get off their butt and go an do something to help others.
Well stated, and I love that little "Triple-P" saying! How true!

Now as to the following blue highlight, I perhaps am missing something, PatsCats... can you illucidate please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
There are atheists in my church who regularly volunteer at the local soup kitchen, among other giving opportunities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Personally, I chose a career in healthcare and work directly with people in need...largely because I am an Atheist and believe nothings more worthwhile than assisting someone on their relatively brief moment on Earth.

You won't find me in a soup kitchen though, as I feel little sympathy for people who let their life spiral out of control. There's too many diseases that truly rob people of their experience here - and those are who I want to help.

Besides, 2 out of the 3 times I've tried doing something nice for the homeless, it nearly resulted in my death. I'll never again offer to take a homeless person out for dinner..
How true, Yes, some find themselves there by a few events more or less out of their control, but far and away, a majority of those there, particularly in the past 20 years, have put themselves there by abuse of alcohol and other drugs, or by basic laziness and sloth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I can understand why Christians feel Atheists do little charitable work. Atheists don't have infomercials!

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a well dressed, overfed Atheist with a camera crew walking thru a slum bragging about how much good they've done for those people?

Never! They don't need to brag and pat themselves on the back, they help because it's the right thing to do.
Yep: that big fat guy who always shows us "little Belinda" who desperately needs your help. But he seems to be eating regularly, and probably pulls down a 6 figure income, plus free world-wide trips to exotic places.

Personally, I don't buy it. I prefer to do all my donating and community support on my own. I don't even donate to Ducks Unlimited any more, since I now know how much their administration "absorbs" as a percentage. It's frankly obscene, as are most of the religious programs.

Hey; whenever a lot of free donation money drifts by, right under their noses, why wouldn't they want to partake of a "small percentage"? I'm just sayin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
You still continue to be ignorant, because you don't know anything better.

All I have to say is read the bible.

Jesus is a wonderful man who saved us all and taught us good stuff.
1: Been there, done that. I EAS, after all, a past Christian, but I thought myself out of that silliness...

2: Jesus likely didn't exist. He's but a construct designed to bridge the obvious and growing gap between the unapproachable & scary God figure and the truly illiterate and wholly dependent goatherds. As for Jesus, there's simply too much info missing, for such a critically important figure.

He didn't exist. But I appreciate your gross inability to even consider that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
After pondering the initial post it's clear that this post was intended to lump a group of people together and draw some kind of comparison or assumption that the act of "doing," or the lack of doing, is inherent to and a characteristic of that particular group.

I may be wrong about the inference I'm drawing, but based on that inference it clearly wreaks of bias and prejudice aimed at atheists.

What actions people take or don't take are not in any way shape or form associated with their atheism, or their religious beliefs for that matter. It is dependant on their individual frames of reference and personal preferences.There are enough self proclaimed "christians" who are very callous and cold hearted to go around. And lets not get into the criminal behaviour of these christian types, for heaven's sake.

Seems like just one more ignorant attempt to attack atheists with flawed logic.
AS always with this particularly aggressive and dismissive poster. Well proven through past posts and threads. No tolerance for independent or fact-based thinking, that's also obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
I'm very educated person and know the truth, unlike most atheist who are uneducated, ignorant and had bad life, that's why they have no faith, which I feel bad for those people. Unfortunately, not everyone wants to go to heaven and paradise, and not everyone deserves it. That's peoples individual problem.

You don't need to feel bad for me, I have a faith in Christ and God, and I'm the one who will go to heaven

God Bless

PS! 2.3 billion Christians cannot be wrong.... so get over youself.
We're by FAR the majority, not atheist who only are 1.6% of the population vs. 80% Christians and over 90% who believe in God.
Wow! Just WOW: you've just proven, to all who choose to read your stuff, that 1) you must have gotten your education at an "offshore school" (), that your use of the English language hardly sustains your claim of being "very educated", and that your math abilities, and along with that, your ability to rationally reason things through are all sorely lacking.

So, I say: Go for It, Lucy. Impressive work and presentation to be sure. Oh, and also, kinda entertaining, in a sad way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Exactly. To do good and be generous simply because it is the right thing to do is far superior ethically.
Ain't it? And it's also absent the usual Christian ego...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are educated? In what the bible?

PS! Here are the real facts about world religious demographics...

Largest group....Christianity 2.1 billion.

Second largest is Islam at 1.5 billion.

And the third largest are the non religious at 1.1 billion. Hardly only the 1.6% you are claiming...
It's just The New Math, sans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
The majority also thought the world was flat

Apart from that the rest of your posts have simply been petulant, mean and uneducated. Not worthy of debating that's for sure.
How nicely, succinctly and efficiently stated! Kudoz to yah, Djuna!

 
Old 12-16-2011, 09:37 AM
 
428 posts, read 399,933 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
I'm very educated person and know the truth, unlike most atheist who are uneducated, ignorant and had bad life, that's why they have no faith, which I feel bad for those people. Unfortunately, not everyone wants to go to heaven and paradise, and not everyone deserves it. That's peoples individual problem.

You don't need to feel bad for me, I have a faith in Christ and God, and I'm the one who will go to heaven

God Bless

PS! 2.3 billion Christians cannot be wrong.... so get over youself.
We're by FAR the majority, not atheist who only are 1.6% of the population vs. 80% Christians and over 90% who believe in God.
Coming from one of the many educated, knowledgeable and happy atheists out there, I can confidently say you are dead wrong with your backwards thinking. Really, when you say things like that, your ignorance and religious insecurity just shine through.
 
Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 AM
 
Location: One Nation Under God - USA
87 posts, read 102,150 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Wait -

There are 2.3 billion Christians...

And Christians = 80% of the population?

LOL I think somebody is bad at math...or thinks the world population is significantly lower than it actually is...

Either way pretty hysterical considering how your post starts:



Hahaha...

Complements of an "uneducated" Atheist =).
You should have used your brain, without getting more details.

First of all, you know that there aren't even billions of people who live in America.

Everybody should know that I meant that 80% of Americans are Christians vs only 1.6% atheists.
There are 2.3 billion Christians worldwide.

USE COMMON SENSE PEOPLE! You should be smarter than being ignorant.
 
Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 PM
 
Location: E: (0.00) - S: (-0.97)
229 posts, read 287,054 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
You should have used your brain, without getting more details.

First of all, you know that there aren't even billions of people who live in America.

Everybody should know that I meant that 80% of Americans are Christians vs only 1.6% atheists.
There are 2.3 billion Christians worldwide.

USE COMMON SENSE PEOPLE! You should be smarter than being ignorant.




 
Old 12-16-2011, 02:25 PM
 
1,429 posts, read 2,110,953 times
Reputation: 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
You should have used your brain, without getting more details.

First of all, you know that there aren't even billions of people who live in America.

Everybody should know that I meant that 80% of Americans are Christians vs only 1.6% atheists.
There are 2.3 billion Christians worldwide.

USE COMMON SENSE PEOPLE! You should be smarter than being ignorant.
LOL, I think I found my new favorite poster..

Edit -

Troll, I mean favorite Troll.
 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,188 posts, read 21,019,424 times
Reputation: 22134
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
You should have used your brain, without getting more details.

First of all, you know that there aren't even billions of people who live in America.

Everybody should know that I meant that 80% of Americans are Christians vs only 1.6% atheists.
There are 2.3 billion Christians worldwide.

USE COMMON SENSE PEOPLE! You should be smarter than being ignorant.
You're so funny!!! Keep 'em coming! And in the meantime, I'll work on "being smarter than being ignorant!" LOL!!!
 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:12 PM
 
32,532 posts, read 30,681,510 times
Reputation: 32349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I wonder then if Fundamentalist Christians are doing so out of true altruism or because it will get them greater rewards and brownie points with their god. You know, "receive their crowns." If the latter, it seems to me that that gets into the realm of selfish motivation.
I know quite a few fundamentalist Christians. They give because they want to help people. As a whole they're very unselfish people. BTW: Fundamentalists don't believe you get "brownie points" because of good works. They are charitable to be a reflection of Christ and His good deeds. No "selfish motivation" involved.
 
Old 12-17-2011, 06:09 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,972,538 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post

You won't find me in a soup kitchen though, as I feel little sympathy for people who let their life spiral out of control. There's too many diseases that truly rob people of their experience here - and those are who I want to help.
Then perhaps you should, and actually talk to some of them, victims of circumstances far beyond their control. Besides comments like the above make you sound way too much like a fundie theist.

You also need to realize that many of these people are vets of the Iraq and Afghanistan war, used up and totally fubar'ed by our government and discarded like stale bread. Victims of a buffoons religious war.

I know one of these homeless vets, as I served in the fire service with him. He was a deputy sheriff, in the National Guard and a volunteer firefighter. He served 2 tours in Iraq with his guard unit, he was KO'ed twice by IED's, and basically given an aspirin and told to go back to his unit. His behavior in Iraq was such that his unit sent him home, where he was separated from active duty (without benefits).

Went back to work as a deputy, but he made some questionable arrests and decisions in the field, and lost that job. I've talked to him a number of times, and he is not the same man I knew, and even he recognizes he isn't. Living in a veterans homeless shelter and finally getting some help at the VA hospital here.

You really need to revisit your view of the homeless today, there are forces at work beyond the control of many, and your willful ignorance about them does not speak well of you.
 
Old 12-17-2011, 06:25 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,972,538 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
What do atheist do to help people in need, such as the poor?
First a question, what was the impetus for starting this thread? Felt the need to demonstrate your willful ignorance, or just a demonstration of the your hatred caused by willful ignorance?

Now try on this: Irreverent atheists crowdsource charitable giving | Reuters
 
Old 12-17-2011, 11:18 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 13,050,035 times
Reputation: 3984
What do atheist do to help people in need, such as the poor?

I don't know that I do that much for the poor, but...I am type B+ Blood, and I donate at least one pint every two months, have been doing this for over 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top