U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:29 PM

164 posts, read 161,179 times

Advertisements

It would be illogical for an atheist to help people who can barely help themselves.

What benefit would it be for an atheist to decrease their prosperity to benefit someone that can potentially further encroach on their economic well being?

If you are an atheist, you only have one life to live, as you are little more than dust in the wind. With that said, it would be intelligent to steal when you feel like you can get away with it as well.

There would be no reason for a moral imperative because those who you steal from are essentially stealing from you in the sense that they are living on your world and using your resources.

From a political perspective as an atheist, if I were in power, I would consider making a collusion with other world leaders in getting rid of the majority of the population and enslaving the rest.

Why would I want them taking my resources? I only live once.

Fortunately, I am not an atheist.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,623,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
What do atheist, particularly 'American atheist' do to help support people in need, with money etc.?

Many, if not all, churches do help people in need, such as donating stuff to the poor, to the homeless, sick and targeted people. They even cook meals for those many hungry people out there.

It has been a while since I checked CD. Not much has changed.
I think you have overlooked the big money givers in our society. Bill Gates through his foundation which includes Warren Buffet and many other non-religious are a good example of atheist giving billions back to humanity. I know the American Atheist Assoc., and American Humanist society had a fund drive for the Haiti earth quake victims, and there are many other Atheist groups funding education organizations for the poor and underprivileged around the world. I suspect your issue is you just donít want to see the good Atheist do. Personally I give to the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Fund, and several Educational organizations that do not push religion with the aid I provide. I, like Dusty, give blood every two months, most time double red cells. Never thought of this as a donation, but just helping those who have helped my family when blood was needed. I check any organization I give too, making sure they are not pushing any agenda as a condition of the aid I give without conditions. I also watch who I do business with and if I think a group is pushing a philosophy I donít approve of than I donít do business with them. I like many others will direct a substantial segment of my estate to the Gates Foundation. I do this also to prevent Washington fat cats from wasting my money on their silly games.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM

3,567 posts, read 6,185,471 times
I personally find more time to help people when my hands aren't clasp in prayer and my knees aren't glued to a pew. Its quite freeing and allows for ample movement for things like volunteering, distributing food, taking care of children etc. Just saying *shrugs*

Old 01-06-2012, 03:01 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,923,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
It would be illogical for an atheist to help people who can barely help themselves.

What benefit would it be for an atheist to decrease their prosperity to benefit someone that can potentially further encroach on their economic well being?

If you are an atheist, you only have one life to live, as you are little more than dust in the wind. With that said, it would be intelligent to steal when you feel like you can get away with it as well.

There would be no reason for a moral imperative because those who you steal from are essentially stealing from you in the sense that they are living on your world and using your resources.

From a political perspective as an atheist, if I were in power, I would consider making a collusion with other world leaders in getting rid of the majority of the population and enslaving the rest.

Why would I want them taking my resources? I only live once.

Fortunately, I am not an atheist.
Atheism does not mean being solely out for yourself. Humans are social animals and our ethics stems from that. Atheists don't fear the punishment of your God, but we still have a sense of right and wrong.

In fact, primates have been found to have the beginning of moral behavior.

Scientist Finds the Beginnings of Morality in Primate Behavior - New York Times

Quote:
Some animals are surprisingly sensitive to the plight of others. Chimpanzees, who cannot swim, have drowned in zoo moats trying to save others. Given the chance to get food by pulling a chain that would also deliver an electric shock to a companion, rhesus monkeys will starve themselves for several days.

Biologists argue that these and other social behaviors are the precursors of human morality. They further believe that if morality grew out of behavioral rules shaped by evolution, it is for biologists, not philosophers or theologians, to say what these rules are.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Atheism does not mean being solely out for yourself. Humans are social animals and our ethics stems from that. Atheists don't fear the punishment of your God, but we still have a sense of right and wrong.

In fact, primates have been found to have the beginning of moral behavior.

Scientist Finds the Beginnings of Morality in Primate Behavior - New York Times
But we evolve.

If we live in a world where everybody believes there are ultimately no consequences for our actions, are you so naive to believe that no one will have the courage to take advantage of this situation?

If I'm in a leadership position, why should I care about you unless there is something that you do to give me pleasure and benefit my life?

If not, are you anything more than a parasite?

There is only so much pie to go around, so why should somebody else who essentially is as valuable as water vapor, be able to eat my pie?

Why should I make sacrafices, in many cases, to people I don't know and won't even know exactly how they benefited as I will most likely not see it with my own eyes?

They may as well not even exist. If there is poverty in the first place, that means there are not enough resources to go around for the population.

So the logical decision would be to decrease the population.

Over time, people will become desensitized to genocide of a people for their own social economic benefit.

We evolve... Do we not?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,409,149 times
I think one very worthy cause for donations might be the "targeted" children who were raped by the representatives of the Catholic Church.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
But we evolve.

If we live in a world where everybody believes there are ultimately no consequences for our actions, are you so naive to believe that no one will have the courage to take advantage of this situation?

If I'm in a leadership position, why should I care about you unless there is something that you do to give me pleasure and benefit my life?

If not, are you anything more than a parasite?

There is only so much pie to go around, so why should somebody else who essentially is as valuable as water vapor, be able to eat my pie?

Why should I make sacrafices, in many cases, to people I don't know and won't even know exactly how they benefited as I will most likely not see it with my own eyes?

They may as well not even exist. If there is poverty in the first place, that means there are not enough resources to go around for the population.

So the logical decision would be to decrease the population.

Over time, people will become desensitized to genocide of a people for their own social economic benefit.

We evolve... Do we not?
The reason I spoke as I spoke is you say man took advantage of man through the bible, you would not be lying; however, this has no influence on the word of God, as the word of God is not the word of man, but the word of God.

They are seperate entities. Is it more crazy to believe that there is a creator as opposed to the world and all that there is was created from nothing?

I fear the consequences of an all atheist world because I know that I possess the ability to tell right from wrong, wrong from right, and feel empathy, pain, despair, guilt, lust, and have sinned in the glory of my selfishness, and these emotions can potentially lead one into a pit of solitude, that drains the soul.

These emotions are coming from somewhere and why is it not God when these can hold one back in a time where unrighteous behavior would get one farther in the wrong direction.

Now, atheist themselves, I am in no position to judge a man or a woman because it is not my right to judge, and I cannot generalize and categorize them with a certain behavior, just as I cannot generalize anything about anyone because individuals do exist.

But I feel like I came off a little disruptive and I didn't mean to disrespect anyone in this community.

I believe in Jesus Christ, and he speaks of PEACE on earth and goodness for humanity will lead to salvation. People without God are capable of terrible things. Look at people like Hitler, Mao, and Stalin.

They did not practice what Jesus Christ spoke. Many of us are also guilty of this in our daily lives. Jesus is the Lord and savior and if you recognize him you can save your soul and fufill your destiny.

Anyway, I'm sorry. The way I came off was nothing less than audacious, but it was merely an attempt of trolling and nothing more than a performance that was shameful.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:27 PM

delete

Last edited by Kansarado; 01-06-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 07:37 PM

mistake

Old 01-07-2012, 04:35 AM

2,637 posts, read 10,948,575 times
Quote:
We don't need mythical dieties to threaten us with eternal torture after death in order to know and do what is right. Our actions have consequences, right now, in this world. Atheists have compassion and experience sympathy. Even if one was incapable of sympathy, if you hurt someone, there are social consequences to that action. You could lose a friendship, an entire web of them, even your career, if what you did was sufficiently outrageous. For more serious crimes, there is a system of justice. If you kill someone, you could be imprisoned or executed. I don't want to hurt people, because I know what it feels like to be hurt. I want to and do help people who need it, because I know what it is like to need help. I don't need to be threatened with hell to act this way, this arises from my human nature, from the lessons on interpersonal relationships that my parents taught me, and the ones that life has taught me.

I find it deeply disturbing how many theists seem to think that if tonight they lost their indoctrinated fear of their god(s), they'd all wake tomorrow as unhinged sociopaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or