Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
What do atheist, particularly 'American atheist' do to help support people in need, with money etc.?

Many, if not all, churches do help people in need, such as donating stuff to the poor, to the homeless, sick and targeted people. They even cook meals for those many hungry people out there.
I have never seen a church or a religious organization NOT use "giving" without running their own advertisements, much less bragging about "giving" which, coincidentally but not surprisingly, goes against what Jesus had asked of people when it comes to giving.

I have seen atheists (the few I know in person) "give" unconditionally, however.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:15 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,334 times
Quote:

PS! 2.3 billion Christians cannot be wrong.... so get over youself.
We're by FAR the majority, not atheist who only are 1.6% of the population vs. 80% Christians and over 90% who believe in God.
Wait -

There are 2.3 billion Christians...

And Christians = 80% of the population?

LOL I think somebody is bad at math...or thinks the world population is significantly lower than it actually is...

Either way pretty hysterical considering how your post starts:

Quote:
I'm very educated person and know the truth, unlike most atheist who are uneducated..
Hahaha...

Complements of an "uneducated" Atheist =).

Last edited by TheEarthBeneathMe; 12-15-2011 at 02:27 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 04:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenceDad View Post
American atheist seems to spend thousands of dollars on billboards across the nation to cause war on religion, and Christians in particular. I think they should stop doing that and give the money to the cancer or something needed for people.
Or this, there might have been a condom handed out in addition to fund raising for breast cancer research.
I guess you are the perfect christian, uptight and irrational.

Pink Bibles pulled due to charity ties

Old 12-15-2011, 05:04 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,049 times
Quote:
What do atheist, particularly 'American atheist' do to help support people in need, with money etc.?

Many, if not all, churches do help people in need, such as donating stuff to the poor, to the homeless, sick and targeted people. They even cook meals for those many hungry people out there.
In fairness, the help churches give to the poor in the US is inadequate. I'd rather have an irreligious person trying to vote for social justice than a church doing a soup kitchen on thanksgiving trying to assuage the consciences of the affluent.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:28 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
False.

Warren Buffett is agnostic (NOT atheist).

Bill Gates is agnostic (NOT atheist).
Melinda Gates is Roman Catholic.

George Soros is agnostic (NOT atheist).

Please do a 10 secon research and you'll find out.
Atheist and agnostic are not same thing.

Atheist = Mainly Anti-religion, Don't believe in God at all.
Agnostic = Not sure whether God excist or not (Don't deny God at least - Not Anti-religion either)

Anyway my question was atheist as a group/community together, not what individual people were doing.
Since you were mistaken three times, I'll explain three times:

1. An agnostic is an atheist.

2. An agnostic is an atheist.

3. An agnostic is an atheist.

You must first realize that the term 'agnostic' wasn't coined until the mid 19th century; the term itself modifies a group of atheists that are sometimes referred to as 'weak' atheists.

Atheism, as a term, is simply defined as "without theism," which what you consider agnostic, is also atheistic.

Please don't think that someone referring to themselves as atheistic also entails that they're anti-religion, anti-God, or declaring that there's no way there is a God. While for some that may be true, for many it's not. You're only doing yourself and those people a disservice by not understanding those terms.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
If some believers are only being "generous" for fear of Hell (or because their idea of jesus christ tells them to do so) then I fear for the world, indeed.
There are untold numbers of groups, organizations and fundraising for the good of people, some subsets of people, the environment, animals, you name it. It's quite fortunate that altruism isn't restricted to those who have a god-belief en masse (organized religion).
And yes, an atheist is one without theism. For those religions that are based on a theistic god, of course we atheists don't support them ("anti-religion?").

Old 12-16-2011, 12:37 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If some believers are only being "generous" for fear of Hell (or because their idea of jesus christ tells them to do so) then I fear for the world, indeed.
Exactly. To do good and be generous simply because it is the right thing to do is far superior ethically.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:16 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenceDad View Post
American atheist seems to spend thousands of dollars on billboards across the nation to cause war on religion, and Christians in particular. I think they should stop doing that and give the money to the cancer or something needed for people.
That is bull crap, and I think you know it...I have never seen a billboard attacking Christianity, but then of course you probably think that anyone who disagrees with you is attacking you.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:32 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
I'm very educated person and know the truth, unlike most atheist who are uneducated, ignorant and had bad life, that's why they have no faith, which I feel bad for those people. Unfortunately, not everyone wants to go to heaven and paradise, and not everyone deserves it. That's peoples individual problem.

You don't need to feel bad for me, I have a faith in Christ and God, and I'm the one who will go to heaven

God Bless

We're by FAR the majority, not atheist who only are 1.6% of the population vs. 80% Christians and over 90% who believe in God.
You are educated? In what the bible?

PS! Here are the real facts about world religious demographics...

Largest group....Christianity 2.1 billion.

Second largest is Islam at 1.5 billion.

And the third largest are the non religious at 1.1 billion. Hardly only the 1.6% you are claiming...

Old 12-16-2011, 07:26 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
The majority also thought the world was flat

Apart from that the rest of your posts have simply been petulant, mean and uneducated. Not worthy of debating that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism