U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:53 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,755,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Indeed. One might say that a resurfacing 'aether' theory, should it prove to be true, would be integrated into current knowledge without damage to either.

One could also say that a really different theory vaguely resembling the old aether theory might be given the same name, rather the was 'mitochondrial Eve' was applied to the evident female original X Chromosome, but that does not validate the old aether theory, not the old Genesis tale, far less does it mean that science had it wrong all that time.
I don't see much differnce between the old one and the new one. Both run contrary to Einstein's theories, which have certainly received a lot of support, particularly in the past ten years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 03:59 PM

39,455 posts, read 10,995,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I don't see much differnce between the old one and the new one. Both run contrary to Einstein's theories, which have certainly received a lot of support, particularly in the past ten years.
I have to admit that I am not fully conversant with the New Aether theory, but I would suggest that the former was purely speculative, while the new one has at least some circumstantial evidence for it, but you may be right and there isn't really a lot of difference. However, I have heard some rumblings that Dark matter or a numerical value of nothing may indicate some Cosmos - wide power or potential.

I can't help it that lt is just begging to have the God - label slapped on it.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,755,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I have to admit that I am not fully conversant with the New Aether theory, but I would suggest that the former was purely speculative, while the new one has at least some circumstantial evidence for it, but you may be right and there isn't really a lot of difference. However, I have heard some rumblings that Dark matter or a numerical value of nothing may indicate some Cosmos - wide power or potential.

I can't help it that lt is just begging to have the God - label slapped on it.
No doubt, as I've seen a few web sites that support the theory that are basically religious in nature.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 1,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity0169 View Post
... Language. Observation. Throughout history, human beings have attempted to create order, in an otherwise orderless world. Is religion a result of that? Is the concept of the self a result of that? These are the questions I have. It would be nice to have a satisfactory handle on questions like this.

I started this post to see if perhaps this idea was plausible for anyone else who may be thinking about life. Since the scientific process, and our system of how we define the world and reality is essentially a social construct, perhaps there's something to be learned about the value of subjective belief. That is what I am saying.
To my mind, religious texts are cleverly constructed metaphors for some common, but mostly uncommon, human experiences. They have been written by people for other people to understand, and they use the concepts of their day to describe inner, subjective processes. Like clues to a cryptic crossword, they might seem impenetrable if you don't get the hidden meaning, but once you do, you can't help but appreciate the effort the authors went to in conveying their message.

For example, take the Genesis myth. If you see it as the creation of the physical world, you will tie yourself up in knots trying to fit it in with our scientific knowledge of the world.

Instead, see it as the birth of subtle transformations within, a subjective change occurring within a human being which takes that person away from the paradisical ignorance of the ordinary man/woman to awareness of a new, unfolding reality within their person, the details of which are described in the book. The first man is the person so transformed, not some distant Adam. Descriptions of earth, air, the void/deep, firmament, flowing rivers, fluttering, ribs, sheep/tilling, new life, birds, greening etc., are depicting felt experiences within a person. They have no meaning in any other context, and are written as guides for ordinary people, who might seek these things out.

Metaphorically, we see the leaves of the Fig Tree appear on Adam & Eve as they become self-consciously aware of the new reality within themselves, signifying a burgeoning new life within the individual.

The unfolding process causes (light/dark, man/woman, left/right, positive/negative, good/evil, solar/lunar) to become defined and enhanced. Hence we see the birth of two lineages - Cain (evil) and Abel (good). Therefore - out of sin the divine you is born, and so the advice to the person experiencing this is - don't give into temptation and sin; be humble and bear your cross with humility. Atheists can rest easy at night knowing that they aren't born into sin be default.

The Buddha also goes through this as he sits beneath the Bodhi Tree - (Ficus Religiosa, the Sacred Fig) - where he confronts the emotional turmoil created by the demon Mara, but, seeing this turmoil as the play of that deity, he responds with equanimity.

In the end, both Buddha and Jesus rise through their inner travail/transformation to Resurrection/Enlightenment.

So, in each case, these mythologies are offering a description of subjective, human processes, bringing order to an inner world, but not to the one you walk about in every day. The authors weren't ignoramuses, they were canny.

But, like reciting a bus timetable in your head, or recollecting the joy of your first surfing attempts, the experience can't directly be conveyed to another. They can only take your word for it. It's rather like conveying the notion of "Next week" to a three year old, or "I'm not made of money" to a 16-year old.

I came to my own understanding through practising Tantric Buddhist meditation.

The above is my take on things. As the saying goes, "your mileage may vary".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism