Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:36 PM

31 posts, read 35,381 times

Advertisements

Ok to start this is not an attack on athiests or anyone for that matter so lets try and keep it polite

Iv always kinda assumed that athiest's generally believe in nothing, not only when it comes to god but also aliens and life exhisting in the universe but the more i think about it im sure thats not the case, so my question is to the athiests, what exactly are your beliefs when it comes to god and aliens etc..do you believe in one and not the other or niether?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:15 PM

506 posts, read 1,956,025 times
You are talking about apples and oranges, my friend.

Life on other planets is a question of science. I do, in fact, believe there is likely life on other planets. Not the modernized version of the aliens we see on television, but bacteria and microbes IMO do exist. It's a matter of time to find them.

I am, however, an atheist. I do not believe there is a higher being/ deity. 'God' is not an alien. As we all know, religion is not based on science. Believing in a god is a conscious choice we should all make, and no matter which way your heart tells you to go, it's not right or wrong, just what sits well with you, I think.

I am an atheist because I am too logical to believe in a man in the sky. My family also happens to have a good number of atheists (particularly my maternal grandparents).

Also, just to clarify as I think this gets confused often, I am not antitheist, and see nothing wrong with believing. I do strongly disapprove of the extremists in every religion and it makes me happier that I don't bother myself with all that.

To each their own.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:32 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
As Nikita said... you need to back up the train a bit.

First thing to understand is that most people who subscribe to religion X do so wholly because they were born into a family that subscribes to religion X. They were raised within all the social and cultural patterns of that with every important occasion marked by the words and practices associated to religion X. Some of these people have spent time thinking about what these tenets state and imply and freely consciously and consideredly accept and even embrace them.

But most don't. Most pretty much got off the "tenet of faith" train after the holiday banquets and the other social/cultural peripheral stuff associated no matter what they might say when grandma is in earshot.

Depending on how adamant they are about these matters (a whole other set of discussions) these people will tend toward "reserving judgment" on the specifics or outright rejection of the whole kit and kaboodle as being little more than the lingering remnants of ancient superstitions and/or political expediency that almost every aspect of every religion is at root.

The more absolute and specific the adherents and proponents of religion X get regarding the correctness or oneness or pretty much anything else they hold to be important because it is based in their faith when discussing these matters... the more resistance to accepting any aspect of the religion they'll get for heir trouble (with the possible exception being grandma's recipe file).

hth

Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
My parents were both atheists. When I would ask them as a child, "What's it like when you die?" they would always answer, "no one knows. But we believe death is just as it was before you were born: nothing."

I have no problem with people believing in heaven/hell, reincarnation of anything else. Live and let live.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:23 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Atheists are self propelled. They believe all the answers lie within themselves. To expect miracles, to pray to an outside force, unknown and unseen, is a crutch. Tap into yourself, find the power, and just do it. Otherwise you pray, sit and wait for miracles.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:14 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesWideOpen219 View Post
Ok to start this is not an attack on athiests or anyone for that matter so lets try and keep it polite

Iv always kinda assumed that athiest's generally believe in nothing, not only when it comes to god but also aliens and life exhisting in the universe but the more i think about it im sure thats not the case, so my question is to the athiests, what exactly are your beliefs when it comes to god and aliens etc..do you believe in one and not the other or niether?
Actually, this thread is in the wrong forum.
Religious people often want to tell atheists what atheists believe. Explaining anything about atheism to a religious person is usually a waste of time, religious people do not listen.
yes, your're right...atheists believe in nothing.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:16 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
I cannot speak for all atheist.

However; I think that we try to look at the universe with our eyes wide open. Probability points to life on other planets. That does not mean that it is definitely there - there is just a good possibility; look at the number of stars and planets. I think that we have already found traces of life in a meteor from Mars. I would never say never; unless we turned over every rock in the universe.

As far as God and religion: I have never seen a ghost. I believe that the Great Randy still has a million dollar reward to anybody that can prove the paranormal: http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html Nobody has ever knocked on my door and said they used to be alive or told me they were God. It is very hard for me to think that dust or a jellied brain can still think - I hope that it cannot think or feel after I die.

As far as my outlook on life: I do believe in the positive form of The Golden Rule - treat others as you expect them to treat you. I think this is my only “chance” (life) and my mortality or immortality will be biased solely on my own actions. I would rather leave the world a better place - if possible.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Two totally different things.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
Atheists don't believe in god(s). There are no other beliefs that could be considered "atheist". Atheism doesn't have a stance on aliens, or really anything other than not believing in god(s). Individual atheists have their own differing beliefs and opinions on everything else.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:53 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
^What he said!^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism