Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:10 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

True, but this is where deciding on what we can can be strong or weak atheist about can be very valuable.

While we can't be sure about an afterlife any more than sortagod or premonitions or Bigfoot, the current state of evidence does justify not taking it as a probability or even fifty - fifty.

But, being strongly disbelieving about any of the personal gods or man - made religions means that we can take it as highly probable that any sort of afterlife (should there be one) is nothing to worry about. It does not have a heaven, hell or even separation from a deity. The idea that one has to suck up to men in funny hats in order to secure a favourable afterlife is a disgraceful sham and con -trick. About that, I am pretty confident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 02:04 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,168 times
I see nothing wrong with any of the proposed topics that the OP has interst in being posted to this forum.
It is not only an atheist forum, it is also AGNOSTIC.
Which agnostic is about hard to obtain knowledge...seeking what can be known, but may never be known.
I think that this is a more appropriate forum for it.
I'm game to discuss these topics- but I'm not an atheist.
I'm more like the OP, but within the circles of occult and such, my opinions and experiences differ, often going against the norm.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:18 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
I came to my conclusions for my own reasons.
As have a large number of people on these fora it seems. Few, if any, of them seem able to adumbrate that reasoning however and those that do try are - more often than not - essentially telling that "I believe it because I believe it" which is not something I would have described as "reasoning".

Old 01-02-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I see nothing wrong with any of the proposed topics that the OP has interst in being posted to this forum.
It is not only an atheist forum, it is also AGNOSTIC.
Which agnostic is about hard to obtain knowledge...seeking what can be known, but may never be known.
I think that this is a more appropriate forum for it.
I'm game to discuss these topics- but I'm not an atheist.
I'm more like the OP, but within the circles of occult and such, my opinions and experiences differ, often going against the norm.
The reason why it is atheist and agnostic is, I am sure, because atheism and agnosticism are related in their lack of belief in Gods - at least personal god. That is why this idea that agnosticism somehow implies an acceptance of the God - concept as reasonable as opposed to a supposed atheists rejection is not a rational view.

That said, while we can be asked how we as atheists or supposedly skeptical agnostics regard other supernatural, fringe - science or cultist beliefs on this forum, a discussion about them doesn't seem appropriate.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,168 times
Cultist belief...is not the same as occult.
Any and all religions can be coined a cult, thus cultist beliefs as in dogma.
Occult is a term meaning 'hidden knowledge' which is akin to agnostic.
Occult has nothing to do with god, nor does esp or ghosts.
So I still don't see why topics of this nature would not be fitting in this forum. But that's me and my broad manner of thinking.
Ghosts and ESP are certainally not exclusivly religious or a philosophy.
I know many atheists and a few of them are ghost hunters.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Cultist belief...is not the same as occult.
Any and all religions can be coined a cult, thus cultist beliefs as in dogma.
Occult is a term meaning 'hidden knowledge' which is akin to agnostic.
Occult has nothing to do with god, nor does esp or ghosts.
So I still don't see why topics of this nature would not be fitting in this forum. But that's me and my broad manner of thinking.
Ghosts and ESP are certainally not exclusivly religious or a philosophy.
I know many atheists and a few of them are ghost hunters.
Well that's pretty much it. The occult is really nothing to do with atheism or not - as you say, some atheists are ghost - hunters, and perhaps not even with the needful skepticism that one might expect.

That's why, apart from asking how atheists (which is to say the atheist rationale) regards the supernatural and occult, further discussion is really of no interest to atheism as such.

In my view, Cultism, Theist-think, fringe - science and alternative history and medicine all come under the same umbrella. Irrational beliefs. because they are not adequately based on validated science and sound logical reasoning. While I tend to avoid labelling religions 'Cults' in order to avoid giving offence, nevertheless, the fact remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism