U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2011, 09:31 AM
 
63 posts, read 43,536 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Mr. Occultist, I don't think you will get any insight from us Atheists.
I'm not a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
We don't believe in anything supernatural at all. You do believe in the supernatural.

That is huge difference with no middle ground.
That's why I'm interested in talking with people on this forum, most of you probably have a viewpoint that is very different to mine, and I think it is interesting when people of different ideas and opinions can come together and talk about why they believe/don't believe, what they think, ask each other questions, etc...there is an opportunity to learn things about each other, but without either party being drawn into the beliefs or non-beliefs of the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,111,643 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
That's why I'm interested in talking with people on this forum, most of you probably have a viewpoint that is very different to mine, and I think it is interesting when people of different ideas and opinions can come together and talk about why they believe/don't believe, what they think, ask each other questions, etc...there is an opportunity to learn things about each other, but without either party being drawn into the beliefs or non-beliefs of the other.
Our viewpoint is very simple. We don't believe in anything supernatural. You have now learned everything there is to know about us.

You, like most people, believe in supernatural forces. That's fine with us. We do not care why you believe in the supernatural, so I doubt there is anything we can learn from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Not.here
2,828 posts, read 3,603,346 times
Reputation: 2354
Hi Spiritualist Occulist! I'm not sure what kind of a response you are expecting to see. I personally don't think that anyone needs to ask for permission from others to post their thoughts on any forum.

The reason I say that is that, regardless of the name of the forum, many people of all kinds of beliefs (and lack thereof) are bouncing in and out of all these forums. In other words, the forums reflect the subject matter, and not necessarily a particular community of like-minded souls. I respond to threads that interest me, and feel that I am not bound by the particular title of the forum as to whether to post or not.

Anyway, I will finish by saying, post whatever is on your mind in regards to this subject matter (Atheism, etc.). Don't be surprised if you get responses from atheists and believers and others in-between. That only means you have piqued people's interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Seattle bound
284 posts, read 420,977 times
Reputation: 315
Let me give you a slightly different point a view than those of the Atheists who have posted so far... I'm Agnostic, which means I'm not Atheist so I'm not quite as unbelieving as they are.

My viewpoint on all things paranormal is this: "That's interesting, but..."

I don't require proof positive to believe something is real, and I never dismiss anything out of hand (both are close-minded to my way of thinking). However I'll question the hell out of everything. So, for an Agnostic, well at least for me, things like the Occult and the paranormal are interesting possibilities, but I'm not completely convinced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 04:45 PM
 
16,587 posts, read 14,060,224 times
Reputation: 20556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
I agree that atheists would want proof if I was trying to persuade them to believe in the same things that I believe in. However, if we simply have a general discussion with the sharing of ideas (and neither side being out to change the other's views) then I don't see proof as being a requirement, per se.
Ok.

But discussing that which has no evidence, as if it were real, is not something most of the atheists I know (including me) have much interest in. Like I said it is fairly pointless to discuss fiction as if it were fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 1,024,715 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
Hi everyone!

As the title of this thread states, I am new to these forums and I would like to ask some questions of you.

As you can see from my username, I'm someone who is deeply interested in, and believes in, many things to do with the paranormal and the occult. I consider myself a spiritual person.

Now I understand this is an atheist/agnostic forum and what I am is about as far from that as one can get. However, I am interested in discussing my spiritual and occult beliefs and ideas with people who are atheists or agnostic, simply because I feel (or hope) it could be interesting. I am interested in different perspectives and am interested in other people's take on my views (as long as the're polite to me, of course.)

Please understand, I have NO desire to try to convince anyone that what I believe is true, that is something I disagree with. What I would like to do is have a polite, mutually respectful conversation with atheists/agnostics who post here and hear of their views whilst sharing my own. What I'm hoping for is the sharing of ideas between people who have differing viewpoints (in this case, me, with my spiritual beliefs, and those who don't necessarily believe in any of it.)

My question is: is that okay? I realise that there is a 'general' forum in which I could create threads about my views, and I intend to use it, but I would specifically like to invite conversation with those who consider themselves atheists or agnostics, and this seems like the best place to do that. I know I could have just gone along and created a thread about my views anyway, but I wanted to ask your permission first.

I am also interested in asking questions of you and learning about some of your world views.

Here's hoping we can have some good discussions!
So, first of all....which god do you believe in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM
 
9,412 posts, read 11,724,962 times
Reputation: 20221
I don't see any evidence for the occult or supernatural phenomenon just as I fail to see any evidence for gods.

Many of these 'spiritual' things are simply manifestations in our minds. We allow our mind to trick us into seeing ghosts or hearing voices or whatever. When we choose to be logical and demand verification these things disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 07:14 PM
 
63 posts, read 43,536 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
So, first of all....which god do you believe in?
I don't believe in a God in the "traditional" sense of the word, and by that I mean the traditional idea of God which is espoused by Christianity, Judaism, Islam, et al.

Some of my favourite channelled material refers to "God" as "All That Is". Some also call it "Source Energy".

Basically, my own idea of "God" is of it being a strong creative energy, from which we all sprang. I believe that all living creatures are themselves God and that as a result we are all connected to one another because we all come from the same source. Because of this, I tend to believe that humanity is inherently good. I am well aware of the evil that humans can, and do, perpetrate, but I do believe that essentially humanity is beautiful.

I believe in the power of humankind, both material and spiritual. I believe that humans are capable of a lot more than we currently realise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 1,024,715 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
I don't believe in a God in the "traditional" sense of the word, and by that I mean the traditional idea of God which is espoused by Christianity, Judaism, Islam, et al.

Some of my favourite channelled material refers to "God" as "All That Is". Some also call it "Source Energy".

Basically, my own idea of "God" is of it being a strong creative energy, from which we all sprang. I believe that all living creatures are themselves God and that as a result we are all connected to one another because we all come from the same source. Because of this, I tend to believe that humanity is inherently good. I am well aware of the evil that humans can, and do, perpetrate, but I do believe that essentially humanity is beautiful.

I believe in the power of humankind, both material and spiritual. I believe that humans are capable of a lot more than we currently realise.
Why don't you call a spade, a spade? Source energy is source energy, "all that is" is "all that is", the universe is the universe, god is god, etc. God is already defined as a supernatural creator deity, so why do you try to put the label of "god" on to your other beliefs? You say that you don't believe in god in the "traditional" sense, which makes you an atheist in the "traditional" sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 PM
 
63 posts, read 43,536 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Why don't you call a spade, a spade? Source energy is source energy, "all that is" is "all that is", the universe is the universe, god is god, etc. God is already defined as a supernatural creator deity, so why do you try to put the label of "god" on to your other beliefs? You say that you don't believe in god in the "traditional" sense, which makes you an atheist in the "traditional" sense.
When I said that I didn't believe in a god in the traditional sense, I didn't mean that I didn't believe in god or gods, per se. I'm not quite sure how best to explain it, but I'll have a go.

I believe that the energy, force, that I feel we all come from, is some sort of consciousness that represents the best of humankind - love, kindness, generosity, tolerance, patience, etc. I believe this consciousness is driven to create and express itself, in part, through living creatures - I believe that part of it resides within us, but part of it is also a separate entity.

Another belief of mine is that what people on this plane (the physical plane) term as "imaginary" or "made-up" - such as characters from books or films - I believe that all of this actually exists on a different plane, the astral plane. I believe that thought and belief and emotion create reality and therefore I think that if someone creates/imagines/thinks of/believes in something strongly, then that something/someone is given a valid existence of its own kind on the astral plane. For example, I think it's possible that the Greek gods may exist on the astral plane.

I'm a member of several occult and magick-related forums and some of the members there have worked with/invoked the beings from the book The Simon Necronomicon. While the creatures/demons in that book may not exist on this physical planet, I do believe they have a valid existence of their own on the astral plane, which I believe is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top