U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:17 AM

13,143 posts, read 19,199,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Mr. Occultist, I don't think you will get any insight from us Atheists.

We don't believe in anything supernatural at all. You do believe in the supernatural.

That is huge difference with no middle ground.

Not necessarily. I'm a godless heathen but believe in many aspects of the "supernatural". While most paranormal claims are pure bunk, I think some paranormal events actually stem from currently unknown/misunderstood natural phenomenon.

There are ALWAYS shades of grey.

To the OP, though... don't buy the whole "knowing" argument... we have never trully "known" the whole story and while science is light-years ahead of religion, it's still incomplete and ultimately an insufficient tool for the job. Knowledge is a neverending progression, not a endpoint.

Of course that hardly means spiritualism and the occult are better ways to understand the universe, but it is an interesting subject nevertheless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 08:30 AM

63 posts, read 43,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
The OP does indeed present as entirely earnest and sincere, therefore curbing my surliness.
I thank you (and everyone else here) for being kind to me so far. All I ask is that people be polite to me (as I will be to them.) Rudeness, especially when it's uncalled for and unjustified, is something I disapprove of.

I am fine with people telling me they think my beliefs are silly/nonsense, all I request is that people not insult or be rude to me in the process. So far, no one has, and I'm very grateful for that, so thank you, all of you. I hope it will continue.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 AM

3,509 posts, read 5,175,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Not necessarily. I'm a godless heathen but believe in many aspects of the "supernatural". While most paranormal claims are pure bunk, I think some paranormal events actually stem from currently unknown/misunderstood natural phenomenon.

There are ALWAYS shades of grey.

To the OP, though... don't buy the whole "knowing" argument... we have never trully "known" the whole story and while science is light-years ahead of religion, it's still incomplete and ultimately an insufficient tool for the job. Knowledge is a neverending progression, not a endpoint.

Of course that hardly means spiritualism and the occult are better ways to understand the universe, but it is an interesting subject nevertheless...
While it galls me to even reference Donald Rumsfeld, I have to invoke the whole "known knowns, known unknowns etc." speech to respond. I form my opinions based on what I know NOW. When science adds other knowns to the knowledge base, I will adjust accordingly.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
While it galls me to even reference Donald Rumsfeld, I have to invoke the whole "known knowns, known unknowns etc." speech to respond. I form my opinions based on what I know NOW. When science adds other knowns to the knowledge base, I will adjust accordingly.
Isn't that kinda dishonest though?

For example, to say: "I know without a shadow of a doubt that nothing can go faster than the speed of light", until science almost inevitably says differently? It's the same general attitude as a fundie really.

In a couple hundred years, future humans will chuckle when they read our "understanding" of science, like we chuckle at midevil people who thought the world was flat and inhabited by faeries and sprites. We've got a LONG way to go yet...

Old 12-20-2011, 08:44 AM

603 posts, read 566,619 times
Hello Spiritual_Occultist, welcome.

Just do what everyone else does - jump right in the threads and/or post your own.

-Agnostically yours, Annilyna.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Isn't that kinda dishonest though?

For example, to say: "I know without a shadow of a doubt that nothing can go faster than the speed of light", until science almost inevitably says differently? It's the same general attitude as a fundie really.

In a couple hundred years, future humans will chuckle when they read our "understanding" of science, like we chuckle at midevil people who thought the world was flat and inhabited by faeries and sprites. We've got a LONG way to go yet...
Did you not read what I wrote? I thought it was pretty clear. Nowhere did I use the term "without a shadow of a doubt".

Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Did you not read what I wrote? I thought it was pretty clear. Nowhere did I use the term "without a shadow of a doubt".
I read: "I believe what Science tells me and will change my mind when/if Science does"...

Old 12-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I read: "I believe what Science tells me and will change my mind when/if Science does"...
And your point is....?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:51 AM

63 posts, read 43,546 times
Quote:
In a couple hundred years, future humans will chuckle when they read our "understanding" of science, like we chuckle at midevil people who thought the world was flat and inhabited by faeries and sprites.
I'm possibly throwing myself in at the deep end here, but I must admit that faeries and sprites are creatures that I believe it's possible may exist. I don't necessarily think they exist on our plane of existence, but I do believe there are other worlds/planes where such creatures are in existence. I've got a friend (same age as myself) who shares the same opinon as me.

One thing I don't believe, though, is that the world is flat.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:57 AM

2,637 posts, read 10,937,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
I personally don't think so, I think that the consciousness, as I refer to it, represents the best qualities of humankind. But this is just my own view, I may be right, I may be wrong.
So then, in your view, from whence arises those worst qualities of humanity? Demons? Demi-gods? Or are we only responsible for our own negative traits, but all good ones come from this "consciousness"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism