U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 05:51 AM

9,098 posts, read 8,501,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Reading this begs me to ask (and because of dinner tonight), does chowing down on a big plate of spaghetti with my homemade sauce equate to cannibalism in the same vain as the symbolic cannibalism as practiced by the catholics and their nibbling on pseudo flesh and sipping pseudo blood.
Nah. Pastafarians don't believe in transubstantiation.

I think that you are into straight up deicide, maybe with the hope of taking on the characteristics of god by ingesting his body.

But if pastafarians were into transubstantiation, would the blood be the pasta sauce, or the chianti?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 10:22 PM

97 posts, read 190,438 times
Quote:
Atheists: Do you EVER have doubts?
Never - not down to my last orbiting electron. The cults, aka: 'religions'.. they all are death-oriented. They hustle the very youngest, via by rote 'training' (brainwashing), and that is why modern humanity is still shackled to the dark ages. Such a sad.. actually, criminal, state of affairs.

Atheists, on the other hand, are big on life & living..

Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 AM

11,798 posts, read 22,040,175 times
Excellent post, Century25. Agree completely.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:55 PM

13,369 posts, read 25,669,097 times
I never have, any more than I think the Hopi people are accurate in reality that they came from the center of the earth and people were formed from the earth and they are chosen people or something. I wonder why anyone would believe any of the god beliefs for even a minute. Maybe it's put in their plastic brains as children and they have to fight their way out.
I grew up with WW2 veterans and Holocaust survivors (and Eichmann books) all around me. No way to even consider any of the god things that I heard about later.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:34 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,736,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Certainly. Just going by science, there is a hypothesis (no proof behind it) that our universe is part of a multiverse with more than three spacial dimensions. If there was a being in this multiverse that could move about in more than three dimensions, it would probably be omnipotent from our perspective.

I read another hypothesis (again, no proof, just conjecture) that when we collide subatomic particles at high speeds, we may be creating universes that from our perspective last nanoseconds but from within the universes last billions of years. If this hypothesis is true, would it make us deistic gods? What if we were able to observe what went on in these universes or even alter them?

It's also possible that this universe isn't real, that we're living in something like the Matrix and that death will more or less be an awakening. I don't put much stock in this or the other hypotheses, but I wouldn't say that there's no chance whatsoever that at least one of them is valid.

I am quite confident that every religion was fabricated by humans though. Whatever the truth is, our ancestors who lived millenia ago certainly weren't closer to the right track than modern science.
I've always thought pretty much along these lines. I've had experiences which convince me there is more "out there" yet (of course) I can't prove any of it.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

Because we apparently do agree on the implausibility of man - made religions and thus worship and prayer in the sense of trying to whine for divine favours. The other thing is so academic that it is truly too sad to see the New Agnostics getting so het up over our reasonable doubts about poorly supported claims when we atheists are apparently expected to shout 'Yes! We believe!" where there really, really is no sound reason to.
It seems the key is how different people's minds work. Even with my intense skepticism I can't conceive of this present order resulting from random chance. Some can though, and that seems to be the difference. (Make "sense"?)

Old 12-25-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't think you understand the question.

What is true is true, regardless of whether it's nice.

After all, the physical universe is absolutely not loving at all. It just is, and things happen according to physical laws. Whether reality is loving or not has nothing to do with it.

What atheists are interested in is whether something is true, not whether we like it.
Understood - I was just pointing out part of my personal reasoning as to why the man-made gods fall short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I apologize if I wasn't clear enough: they're all comic book gods. There is precisely as much reason to believe in Thor as in the god of the bible or Santa Claus.
It was clear, and I agree. I mean geez - who the heck cares about anyone magically walking on the surface of water? How does that help humanity? It doesn't.

Now to the Christians: I do understand the psychological value of picturing someone defying physical laws.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:57 AM

39,594 posts, read 11,044,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
It seems the key is how different people's minds work. Even with my intense skepticism I can't conceive of this present order resulting from random chance. Some can though, and that seems to be the difference. (Make "sense"?)
I see your point and, while I am inclined to go more with 'something from nothing' theory in the light of recent information, I am aware that it is as well to keep ears, eyes and mind wide open, and I'd suggest it to others before they dismiss Hawking and others and their suggestions.

We can afford to be agnostic because this 'god' which is constantly hovering around the discussion is nothing like any of the personal gods or their religions; and their dogmas, Holy Books and requirements do not (I trust) hold any more weight with you, Goldenrule, Boxcar and Mystic than they do with me.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:46 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,859,561 times
When it comes to man-made religions and gods, no, I don't have any doubts. This is something that I think truly baffles many Christians. I have zero doubts on what it is you believe. You may as well tell me there's a gang of invisible leprechauns and Smurfs engaged in turf warfare in my backyard. It sounds about the same to me, at least when it comes to some of the sillier stuff in Christianity.

I accept the fact that we'll never know everything and I'm fine with it. Focus on the life you know and have and everything after it (if there is anything) will sort itself out.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:08 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,886,600 times
Default Atheists: Do you EVER have doubts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
That is, doubts about your atheism? Ever?

No.

Because atheism isn't a belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism