U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 PM
 
707 posts, read 574,809 times
Reputation: 284

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
How could I? There is no basis upon which to HAVE any.

The only way to have doubts about something is if there are reasons on offer on which to base those doubts.

However given the not just slight, but TOTAL lack of any evidence, argument, data or reasons to lend even a modicum of credence to the idea there is a god.... I am not sure what grounds you expect the doubts to grow on?
Funny how logic is the basis for not believing and easily blocks the feelings that are the basis for believing and faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,298,345 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Everything you held in Love within your consciousness will be with you after we are reborn as Spirit upon our death. Those parts of our consciousness that contain hate or other negative human emotions will be "refined" out. No need to believe it . . . save it as a surprise.
What a lovely but entirely baseless and evidence devoid fantasy. Alas there is no evidence on offer, much less by you, on these fora or anywhere else (to my knowledge) to support any of it. The survival of consciousness after death, the refining of that consciousness to perfect it in some way, or the existence of a non human consciousness called "god" which oversees/controls the process.... none of it. It is all just stuff you happily make up and then say. None of it appears to have any basis more real than the vagaries of your own imagination and fantasy... a faculty you appear to be in no shortage of.

Thanks for sharing your fairy stories however, I am sure they will serve as nice bed time material for a child somewhere. Some of us here however are all grown up and have little use for fairy tales in our day to day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Funny how logic is the basis for not believing and easily blocks the feelings that are the basis for believing and faith.
I have no idea what this means and I rather suspect nor do you. However it does not address anything I just said. What I said has little to do with "feelings" at all. The point is that to believe something I require a reason to. If no reason is offered then I have no basis for believing it.

Therefore if I fail to believe something because of literally no reason to believe it, I also fail to have doubts on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 AM
 
39,417 posts, read 10,987,460 times
Reputation: 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Funny how logic is the basis for not believing and easily blocks the feelings that are the basis for believing and faith.
In fact it isn't. Logic (and evidence) is the sound basis for believing anything while Faith is a method for believing in things which don't really have a sound basis.

Relion, personal god- claims and the contents of Holy Books don't really have a sound basis - about that, I have few or none doubts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,611,727 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Funny how logic is the basis for not believing and easily blocks the feelings that are the basis for believing and faith.
Emotion is the poorest method you can use for deciding if something is real. Nothing is real simply because you want it to be. On the other hand, if it's real, it is provable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 22,025,595 times
Reputation: 5080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Funny how logic is the basis for not believing and easily blocks the feelings that are the basis for believing and faith.
Those irrational feelings should be blocked. What you are stating is that logic should be disregarded. I disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 PM
 
40,290 posts, read 26,868,743 times
Reputation: 6069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
What a lovely but entirely baseless and evidence devoid fantasy. Alas there is no evidence on offer, much less by you, on these fora or anywhere else (to my knowledge) to support any of it. The survival of consciousness after death, the refining of that consciousness to perfect it in some way, or the existence of a non human consciousness called "god" which oversees/controls the process.... none of it. It is all just stuff you happily make up and then say. None of it appears to have any basis more real than the vagaries of your own imagination and fantasy... a faculty you appear to be in no shortage of.
How did I know you would respond this way, Nozz? As I said . . . no need to believe it. Let it be a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 02:15 PM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,298,345 times
Reputation: 2973
Well if you do not change your baseless claims then how am I to be expected to change my response? Hardly an amazing prediction from you really when you think about it. However nice to see you can actually... when you try... write a reply to me that is not steeped in insult, ad hominem and invective. If nothing else we have at least made progress there! Keep it up son!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 PM
 
Location: London, U.K.
2,877 posts, read 3,308,899 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
That is, doubts about your atheism? Ever?
As far as organised religion goes, no never. On whether there's a 'god' of sorts (in the broadest possible sense) I find the concept highly unlikely, but I don't insist theres no such thing at all. That isn't incompatible with atheism, nor is it agnosticism. So no my atheism is never in doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Ohio
20,037 posts, read 14,303,302 times
Reputation: 16201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Emotion is the poorest method you can use for deciding if something is real. Nothing is real simply because you want it to be. On the other hand, if it's real, it is provable.
Yes, if for no other reason that emotions are subjective, and anything subjective by definition cannot be universal.

Emoting...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The skepticism of phsyicalists notwithstanding . . . our consciousness is in pure energy form.... and EVERY thought and feeling is permanent (unless altered by remorse or rethinking).
What kind of energy?

If you are correct, then you should be able to prove your claim by locating, identifying and measuring the energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
... and EVERY thought and feeling is permanent (unless altered by remorse or rethinking).

Everything you held in Love within your consciousness will be with you after we are reborn as Spirit upon our death. Those parts of our consciousness that contain hate or other negative human emotions will be "refined" out. No need to believe it . . . save it as a surprise.
Here you have just contradicted yourself (yet again). You state rather emphatically that "EVERY" though and feeling is permanent and then you claim it will be "refined" out.

The whole premise is rather silly really. It falls under the mantra of "my life sucks, but there will be a pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow when I die."

The surprise for you is that this (the "here and now") is it. This is your life, and it doesn't get any better than this unless you make it better.

Remorsefully rethinking...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 10:14 PM
 
40,290 posts, read 26,868,743 times
Reputation: 6069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
What kind of energy?
If you are correct, then you should be able to prove your claim by locating, identifying and measuring the energy.
Dark energy.
Quote:
Here you have just contradicted yourself (yet again). You state rather emphatically that "EVERY" though and feeling is permanent and then you claim it will be "refined" out.
Our brain is capable of altering our consciousness or we would never change or mature. It is not a stretch to believe that God could do the same once we have left this physical plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top