U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-05-2012, 03:21 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,278,109 times
Reputation: 2973

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Dark energy. Our brain is capable of altering our consciousness or we would never change or mature. It is not a stretch to believe that God could do the same once we have left this physical plane.
It is not a stretch of course if you just assume the existence of an all powerful god. Once you do that then any other mad claim you choose to espouse becomes plausible and possible.

The issue is that you have not presented even the first shred of the first scrap of evidence that there is such an entity... so in that sense yes your claims very much ARE a stretch.

Imagination is fun, do not get me wrong. It is fun to imagine a god, what it might or might not be capable of, and how it might or might not be operating on souls (the existence of which you also imagine).

But let us at least acknowledge this is the realm of fantasy and play acting. There is no reason on offer to think any of this true or even mildly credible at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2012, 04:23 AM
 
39,023 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Reputation: 5080
Dark energy smacks of the theist ploy of holding up anything a bit woo woo as somehow being evidence for a cosmic intelligence (aka God) simply because we don't know anything to place it in the 'materalist' file. In fact it hasn't been discovered yet, but there are strong circumstantial indications that it must be there. For me, it might very well turn out to look like the 'something out of nothing' mechanism we materialist god - deniers are looking for rather than an intelligent designer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 03:12 PM
 
164 posts, read 160,899 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yes. I do. The only thing that means is that I do not believe in any gods.
Now, I don't like to make assumptions, but I assume you don't believe in an afterlife and you certainly don't believe you have any consequences for your actions on earth when you die, correct?

At least in the sense that what you did on earth will be used to determine your fate in the afterlife because if my assumption is correct, you don't believe in an afterlife; therefore, you have no ultimate consequences.

With that said, if what I stated is accurate, what would you say the point of life is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Western Cary, NC
4,349 posts, read 6,618,100 times
Reputation: 7266
Richard Dawkins definition of atheism fits my view well. He sees Atheism as an active disbelief. Dawkin’s has a scale of belief ranging from 1: 'Strong theist. (100% probability of God') to the equivalent 7: ('Strong atheist').
He sees himself as 6: (“Very low probability”), but short of zero. Dawkins states “I am agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden”
In my view he would fall in the Strong Atheist category which I see as a 6 to 7, the moderate Atheist is a 5 to 6 on his scale, and the Agnostic takes the 3 and 4 positions. The 1 and 2 would be religious people.
I personally also fall in the 6 category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 05:09 PM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,552 posts, read 5,398,343 times
Reputation: 4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
Now, I don't like to make assumptions, but I assume you don't believe in an afterlife and you certainly don't believe you have any consequences for your actions on earth when you die, correct?

At least in the sense that what you did on earth will be used to determine your fate in the afterlife because if my assumption is correct, you don't believe in an afterlife; therefore, you have no ultimate consequences.

With that said, if what I stated is accurate, what would you say the point of life is?
There's no such thing as a "point" of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 1,024,827 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
Most people that claim to be atheists are not real atheists.
Hook us up to a lie detector and ask us if we believe in any gods. Then you'll know for sure whether we really have no belief in any gods, or if we are lying and just claiming to have no belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 1,024,827 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
Now, I don't like to make assumptions, but I assume you don't believe in an afterlife and you certainly don't believe you have any consequences for your actions on earth when you die, correct?

At least in the sense that what you did on earth will be used to determine your fate in the afterlife because if my assumption is correct, you don't believe in an afterlife; therefore, you have no ultimate consequences.

With that said, if what I stated is accurate, what would you say the point of life is?
I hope you do know that atheist can and (some) do believe in the afterlife. Many Buddhists for instance may be atheists, but believe in an afterlife. There are no official "atheistic beliefs" regarding anything other than having no belief in gods. An atheist can believe in the afterlife and the supernatural (just not gods).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,875 posts, read 14,221,081 times
Reputation: 16075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
Now, I don't like to make assumptions, but I assume you don't believe in an afterlife and you certainly don't believe you have any consequences for your actions on earth when you die, correct?

At least in the sense that what you did on earth will be used to determine your fate in the afterlife because if my assumption is correct, you don't believe in an afterlife; therefore, you have no ultimate consequences.

With that said, if what I stated is accurate, what would you say the point of life is?
To procreate.

Your primary function and sole purpose, your raison d'etre on this Planet is the same as every other living organism on this Planet....

....and that is to procreate to perpetuate the existence of your species and ensure its continued survival.

Everything (as in every thing) on Earth (and that includes Plants) has evolved specifically to do nothing but procreate in the most efficient way it can.

So the whole point of life is to select a mate, procreate, and nurture and educate your off-spring so that they can do the same.

The fact that you can think and reason doesn't alter the fact that your sole purpose in this Universe is to procreate. Thinking and reasoning further that end.

There is no "after-life."

If you want proof, and you're of the christian, Jewish or Muslim persuasion, then just read your texts.

Why does Yahweh strike people down dead?

Because he has no choice.

Yahweh cannot send people to Hell, because Hell does not exist, and so the only way Yahweh can punish people is to end their life. Or afflict them with some horrid disease, like pus oozing sores.

There is no Heaven either. Once someone dies, Yahweh is powerless to punish them. That's why he murders them.

Then over time, that changes. Yahweh no longer murders people, instead he punished the whole nation, usually with war or strife or captivity, based on, um (snicker) how much the Hebrews love Yahweh.

Then, you'll notice from reading the later prophets, that it's about social justice. You no longer have to love Yahweh, you just have to feed the widows, orphans, crippled and poor.

You're saying Jews had a concept of Hell? No, sorry, wrong answer. Shaol is not Hell and never was. The Hebrews developed the idea of Hell only after they came into contact with the Greeks in the 4th Century BCE. And the Greeks invented Hell based on a mistranslation of Assyrian and Chaldean (Neo-Babylonian) texts.

In fact, modern-day anthropologists and archaeologists made the exact same mistake the Greeks did, by mistranslating a word as "underworld." Many anthropologists and archaeologists later recognized that to be a mistake, but many others still cling to old fallacies, so a compromise was reached about 30 years ago, and now that mistranslated word is mistranslated as "netherworld" instead of "underworld."

Over the next several centuries, the Greeks also invented devils and demons, and that shows up in christian New Testament literature.

That's why you see no mention of devils or demons in the older Hebrew text....because they did not exist culturally at that time.

Pointing out the point of life....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
There's no such thing as a "point" of life.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Dark energy.
Somehow I just knew something silly would come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 01:40 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,718,364 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

You're saying Jews had a concept of Hell? No, sorry, wrong answer. Shaol is not Hell and never was. The Hebrews developed the idea of Hell only after they came into contact with the Greeks in the 4th Century BCE. And the Greeks invented Hell based on a mistranslation of Assyrian and Chaldean (Neo-Babylonian) texts.

In fact, modern-day anthropologists and archaeologists made the exact same mistake the Greeks did, by mistranslating a word as "underworld." Many anthropologists and archaeologists later recognized that to be a mistake, but many others still cling to old fallacies, so a compromise was reached about 30 years ago, and now that mistranslated word is mistranslated as "netherworld" instead of "underworld."

Over the next several centuries, the Greeks also invented devils and demons, and that shows up in christian New Testament literature.

That's why you see no mention of devils or demons in the older Hebrew text....because they did not exist culturally at that time.

Pointing out the point of life....

Mircea
The above is a quote from wonderfully informed person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 03:34 AM
 
4,984 posts, read 5,061,465 times
Reputation: 6322
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
That is, doubts about your atheism? Ever?
I have NO doubts that thousands of religious myths, religions & delusions that mankind created in its deprived image have NOTHING to do with inner workings of Universe, they explain nothing, they don't provide any moral guidance or solace for that matter.

What could be more pathetic, unreal, uninspiring, debilitating, depressing.... than eternity according to the Bible, Koran, Amazonian folk tales? Seriously? I'm an atheist in the sense "I don't believe in ANY man made deity", and I have no/will have no doubts about that. Man men deities tend to be as crazy and deprived as their creators, they have nothing to offer or to explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top