U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2012, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,981,222 times
Reputation: 5074

Advertisements

Logic fails to answer all questions due to insufficient data, which is increasing daily. Lack of sufficient data for an absolutely certain answer is seldom if ever justification for reliance on 'gut feelings', and certainly not in the realm of supernatural fantasies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2012, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,605,042 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Gut feelings are often the best way of deciding things. Opening up your heart allows alot more than pure logic for decisions.
Gut feelings are good for deciding what will make you happy in life, not coming to a conclusion on whether something exists, including a deity. That should be based on logic and evidence alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 09:43 AM
 
16,098 posts, read 17,899,425 times
Reputation: 15891
I think people should realize that science is beginning to understand our *emotional brain.* The amygdala plays a key role in how we process emotions

Amygdala

The Emotional Brain-Description

Quote:
What happens in our brains to make us feel fear, love, hate, anger, joy? Do we control our emotions, or do they control us? Do animals have emotions? How can traumatic experiences in early childhood influence adult behavior, even though we have no conscious memory of them? In The Emotional Brain, Joseph LeDoux investigates the origins of human emotions and explains that many exist as part of complex neural systems that evolved to enable us to survive.

Unlike conscious feelings, emotions originate in the brain at a much deeper level, says LeDoux, a leading authority in the field of neural science and one of the principal researchers profiled in Daniel Goleman's Emotional Intelligence. In this provocative book, LeDoux explores the underlying brain mechanisms responsible for our emotions, mechanisms that are only now being revealed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Athens, Greece
526 posts, read 579,497 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I think people should realize that science is beginning to understand our *emotional brain.* The amygdala plays a key role in how we process emotions
I understand that you mean that somewhere close to this amygdala thing the Godís... almond is located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 07:25 PM
 
16,098 posts, read 17,899,425 times
Reputation: 15891
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtango View Post
I understand that you mean that somewhere close to this amygdala thing the God’s... almond is located?
The amygdala is almond shaped. It has nothing to do with God though. Did you read the links?

Amygdala

Quote:
ScienceDaily: Your source for the latest research news and science breakthroughs -- updated daily
Science Reference

Amygdala

The amygdala (Latin, corpus amygdaloideum) is an almond-shape set of neurons located deep in the brain's medial temporal lobe.

Shown to play a key role in the processsing of emotions, the amygdala forms part of the limbic system.

In humans and other animals, this subcortical brain structure is linked to both fear responses and pleasure.

Its size is positively correlated with aggressive behavior across species.

In humans, it is the most sexually-dimorphic brain structure, and shrinks by more than 30% in males upon castration.

Conditions such as anxiety, autism, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and phobias are suspected of being linked to abnormal functioning of the amygdala, owing to damage, developmental problems, or neurotransmitter imbalance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 09:09 PM
 
707 posts, read 572,790 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Gut feelings are good for deciding what will make you happy in life, not coming to a conclusion on whether something exists, including a deity. That should be based on logic and evidence alone.
I think for something like a deity our feelings are what work best. Especially because there is no proof either way and deep down we often know what feels right. When you take everything into account our feelings are all that is really left to make such a decision. There is no proof that shows a deity does not exist so proof means nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Athens, Greece
526 posts, read 579,497 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The amygdala is almond shaped. It has nothing to do with God though. Did you read the links?
The point is what the amygdala has to do with the doubts atheists may have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 AM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,964,060 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
That is, doubts about your atheism? Ever?
What if you are wrong, worshiping the wrong god, and every single time you pray to or worship your god, the real god gets really pizzed off, and he's keeping a tally sheet on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,605,042 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
I think for something like a deity our feelings are what work best. Especially because there is no proof either way and deep down we often know what feels right. When you take everything into account our feelings are all that is really left to make such a decision. There is no proof that shows a deity does not exist so proof means nothing.
There is a ton of evidence that no deity other than maybe a deistic one exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 02:45 AM
 
Location: Athens, Greece
526 posts, read 579,497 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Gut feelings are good for deciding what will make you happy in life, not coming to a conclusion on whether something exists, including a deity. That should be based on logic and evidence alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
There is a ton of evidence that no deity other than maybe a deistic one exists.

How does a true deistic deity, the conception of which is based on logic and evidence alone, look like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top