U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 AM

707 posts, read 574,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
So is the question of the existence of something which will judge whether we've been good or evil and reward or punish us based on that judgement (whether I'm talking about God or Santa Claus is up for you to decide). Either important questions should be left to raw emotion or they shouldn't - no changing the rules based on the answer you wish you were going to get.

And if the question of the meaning of life is so important, it must be too important to leave to subjective feeling and opinion. If it matters that much, I'd prefer we use tool which have been shown to be much better at answering questions - facts, evidence and reason spring to mind.
That is your misconception of God unfortunately. Religion often gives this impression of God to people. You have confused religion with God, or your belief about religion with God. I'm not talking about judgement or any of that. I am talking about a living being who created us. And unfortunately these "tools" you want to use are so limited that so much goes unnoticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:30 AM

707 posts, read 574,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
The basic concept of a "god" isn't very funny IMHO, but the psychological phenomenon of a fully-grown adult who is still playing with some interpersonal (and improvisational) imaginary friend certainly is!

However, these IFs can sometimes provide comfort in times of emotional stress, so maybe it's not altogether such a bad thing.
How condescending IMHO.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:49 AM

39,273 posts, read 10,931,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
I think there is a misconception about "belief". Don't put the cart before the horse. People don't choose to believe in order to have those questions answered. They come to believe first, for many different reasons, then those questions are answered.
That's the problem. People use beliefs to answer their questions rather than consider the questions first and base their belief on the answers. That is the only way of getting the horse and cart the right way round, straining the bathwater for any sign of a baby and not believing something until there's evidence for it rather than believing a particular something without evidence until it is disproven - or whichever brain- bamboozling analogy the theist wishes to use.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:31 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,291,789 times
Quote:
I think there is a misconception about "belief". Don't put the cart before the horse. People don't choose to believe in order to have those questions answered. They come to believe first, for many different reasons, then those questions are answered.
Not sure what this reply has to do with my post at all.... however speak for yourself. People arrive at god belief for a variety of reasons and from a variety of directions. I think you might find that both of the temporal possibilities you listed accurately describe some people and not everyone is in one or the other as you attempt to paint it.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,120,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
is it not true that there is at least one purpose or meaning in life - that of reproduction?
Could you please ask your questions in a simpler way so that I can understand them?

If I answer your question 'Yes', does that mean there is no purpose or meaning in life?

If I answer 'No', does that mean it is "not not true that there is at least one purpose or meaning in life"?

Kind of confusing.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:33 AM

39,273 posts, read 10,931,096 times
You should watch more courtroom dramas

This is legaleseish but not too hard to read.

'Do tou agree that there is at least one purpose in life - reproduction?'

It really wasn't hard to parse and I very much doubt that it was hard for you.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,751,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Could you please ask your questions in a simpler way so that I can understand them?

If I answer your question 'Yes', does that mean there is no purpose or meaning in life?

If I answer 'No', does that mean it is "not not true that there is at least one purpose or meaning in life"?

Kind of confusing.
Okay, let me ask it this way. Is it true or false that the primary goal/purpose for all life is to reproduce/bear offspring?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,387,178 times
Default How it REALLY is!

Quote:
Maybe you find no meaning in life. So if that's the case I feel sorry for you.
Note: I have NOTHING to doubt in my life!

I can tell you that theism {Christianity, Islam, et al; as in: blindered faith} are NOT a prerequisite to enjoying life or to the elusive goal of "finding a meaning for one's existence!!!". I often wonder however, just why is a "meaning" a mandatory element of living?

I'd say it might be a prerequisite conclusion and guiding rule-set for those who feel lost, or who are philosophically bereft, and therefore aimlessly "wandering" in the ruins of their minds. Some are like that, but obviously (ahem..) some are not.

Can't we all just enjoy life, exposing our curiosity and natural intellect to whatever new information comes along, but without some preconceived or brain-implanted dogmatic strictures coupled with a total lack of logical objectivity?

For myself, I'm really enjoying life, except when rabidly dogmatic theists try to tell me that, as an atheist, I MUST therefore [yah jist gotz to luv that conclusitory word, huh? ] be culturally & socially lonely, ethically isolated and philosophically stagnant. Not to mention, that as a career scientist, I'm inherently biased and Evil™.

Gotta luv all that "spew", huh?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Okay, let me ask it this way. Is it true or false that the primary goal/purpose for all life is to reproduce/bear offspring?
Oh now I understand. Of course, it is false.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
'Do you agree that there is at least one purpose in life - reproduction?'
Does that question have the same meaning as:

"Do you not agree that there is at least one purpose in life - reproduction?"

If these two questions mean the same thing, then it appears the word 'not' adds no extra meaning to the question. Then why even use it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism