U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-02-2012, 11:17 PM
 
707 posts, read 572,415 times
Reputation: 284

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Even funnier that theist apologists start off by grotesquely misrepresenting atheism and what they 'expect' in order to discredit them. As said above, any sound evidence will count but there hasn't been anything worth a damn' in all the years I've been debating.
I don't think you'll find it in a debate. It is more of a personal search within yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 PM
 
707 posts, read 572,415 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I didn't say that everyone agreed on what god was (obviously, since there are so many people claiming different things about the absolute truth of gods). I'm curious how you can be so sure that the god I mentioned isn't the correct one.
Actually I'm not. Some do believe that God is judgmental and condemns. I don't happen to believe that God is like that, but that is just my belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,953,508 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
100% proof of what? Our existence? How we and the universe came from nothing has not one bit of proof, science or not. Evidence and proof are not the same thing. There is a lot of evidence for God's existence starting with our own and the complexity of life and the structure of the universe. Science cannot explain the reasons only the observations.
Now I see the attempt to change the subject. You and all the god magic believers have only the absurd belief of some bearded guy in the void of nothing god bored and said "poof" and all this came to be.

We (mankind) do not know the origin, and may never know, but it is clear that god magic is not the source, for neither god nor magic are real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 PM
 
707 posts, read 572,415 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Now I see the attempt to change the subject. You and all the god magic believers have only the absurd belief of some bearded guy in the void of nothing god bored and said "poof" and all this came to be.

We (mankind) do not know the origin, and may never know, but it is clear that god magic is not the source, for neither god nor magic are real.
And how do you know God is not the source? As for your imaginative description I wouldn't believe in the god either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2012, 11:40 PM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,953,508 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
And how do you know God is not the source? As for your imaginative description I wouldn't believe in the god either.
I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,603,642 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Evidence is subjective. Intelligent design is considered evidence for some.
There is no reason to believe in intelligent design, so how can it be evidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 5,936,605 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Actually I'm not. Some do believe that God is judgmental and condemns. I don't happen to believe that God is like that, but that is just my belief.
So you can't demonstrate that the idea of god I presented is any more likely than the one you believe in? You seemed so confident I was wrong a little while ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 05:41 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 5,936,605 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
And how do you know God is not the source?
We don't. But we also have no reason to believe God exists or is the source of anything. So the logical thing to do is to continue to not believe in it until that situation changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 AM
 
39,031 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Reputation: 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
I don't think you'll find it in a debate. It is more of a personal search within yourself.
A sure way of deluding yourself. Also the element of 'delusion' is hinted in that your search within yourself is informed by outside claims such as the 'god' concept which gets slapped onto whatever feelings you have.

The supposition is that you DO look outside for your info, but only in certain selected places that back up your own ideas which for all I know are also based on on what you've been told (but I do have to recognise this 'divine instinct as a feeling at least). Other areas of information are dismissed or ignored in favour of 'within yourself' or (translation from Theist to english) 'I don't care what you say, I believe...'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 AM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,953,508 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Evidence is subjective. Intelligent design is considered evidence for some.
The only thing that intelligent design is evidence of is the desperation to explain away the conflicts between what the fairy tale says and the conflicts with science.

ID is a new concept, invented when some religious thinkers (I know, oxymoron) came up with it as a way to explain away science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top