U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-03-2012, 11:32 AM
 
3,424 posts, read 2,748,914 times
Reputation: 3318

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The only thing that intelligent design is evidence of is the desperation to explain away the conflicts between what the fairy tale says and the conflicts with science.

ID is a new concept, invented when some religious thinkers (I know, oxymoron) came up with it as a way to explain away science.
Actually, arguments from design go way back, poossibly as far as the middle ages, but certainly at the beginning of the enlightenment, the argument from design was being made, and refuted even then, I might add. The big difference between today's argument and those of bygone ages is that back then, at least those making the argument had the cahones to admit they were arguing from a theological perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2012, 05:21 PM
 
13,322 posts, read 25,578,684 times
Reputation: 20520
The human reproductive/sexual system
The current Republican primary process
The human ability to invent which then invents useless junk that uses up planetary resources
________

You get the idea- all arguments against intelligent design. Fill in your own blanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,310 posts, read 10,348,481 times
Reputation: 2612
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
We are programmed to want sex, ....
Will you tell my partner please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 01:00 AM
 
3,424 posts, read 2,748,914 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Will you tell my partner please?
Maybe she's trying to tell you something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 PM
 
707 posts, read 573,053 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
There is no reason to believe in intelligent design, so how can it be evidence?
That is your opinion. All life is so complicated we don't even understand it. So if you consider us intelligent than life is more intelligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM
 
707 posts, read 573,053 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
So you can't demonstrate that the idea of god I presented is any more likely than the one you believe in? You seemed so confident I was wrong a little while ago...
I actually thought you were generalizing. If it is your belief you never said that. As for which is more true, know one knows. But I am strong in my belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM
 
707 posts, read 573,053 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
We don't. But we also have no reason to believe God exists or is the source of anything. So the logical thing to do is to continue to not believe in it until that situation changes.
But I do have a reason. And even from a logically point of view it makes sense because there is so much more to this world and life than we can see or feel. Even science has proven that. So to believe this is a deliberate creation and not somehow a product of appearing out of nowhere is quite logical to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 PM
 
707 posts, read 573,053 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
A sure way of deluding yourself. Also the element of 'delusion' is hinted in that your search within yourself is informed by outside claims such as the 'god' concept which gets slapped onto whatever feelings you have.

The supposition is that you DO look outside for your info, but only in certain selected places that back up your own ideas which for all I know are also based on on what you've been told (but I do have to recognise this 'divine instinct as a feeling at least). Other areas of information are dismissed or ignored in favour of 'within yourself' or (translation from Theist to english) 'I don't care what you say, I believe...'

Delusion? And how do you know you are not the one being deluded? Your ever precious logic. Remember we as humans are not as smart as we think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 PM
 
707 posts, read 573,053 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The only thing that intelligent design is evidence of is the desperation to explain away the conflicts between what the fairy tale says and the conflicts with science.

ID is a new concept, invented when some religious thinkers (I know, oxymoron) came up with it as a way to explain away science.

It's kind of like saying the dictionary just fell into place. It is far to complex to have just been put together by random letters aligning themselves. And just think how much more complex life and our universe is. Way beyond our scope, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,606,190 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
That is your opinion. All life is so complicated we don't even understand it. So if you consider us intelligent than life is more intelligent.
Opinion has nothing to do with it. The Theory of Evolution explains quite well why life is so complex. You should read a book on the subject some time. Your belief that anything complex requires a creator is flawed. After all, that creator would necessarily be complex and require a creator of its own, and that creator would require a creator, and so on in an infinite regression. It has to end somewhere, and the simplest and most likely possibility is that there isn't a creator at all, that life just sprung up similarly to how we have managed to make organic chemicals just spring up in the lab, and then evolved just as we have thoroughly proven it did. There's no need for a god in this scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top