U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-08-2012, 11:41 PM
 
707 posts, read 574,569 times
Reputation: 284

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Convenience? what could be more convenient that a god you believe you prove by making up basically anything you want as evidence.

No, gods are not possible, and by your own words you completely dismiss the infallible evidence you say you have provided when you say you don 't know if god exists.

Fairy tales are for children.
So your non belief is so weak you cannot even admit it is possible. I am glad at least that my beliefs are strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 PM
 
707 posts, read 574,569 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Perhaps in the world ignorance based on fairy tales, but in the real world evolution is responsible, and very capable.
But your argument lacks the main point...where we started. Try starting there first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 01:12 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,296,502 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
God is not there for convenience.
Your sentence may have been more accurate if you have cut it short by two words. You have not given a single scrap of evidence argument data or reasons to suggest there even IS a god there. Despite us all asking over and over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Unfortunately most atheists are not even able to admit that the possibility exists.
Then take it up with "most atheists" as I have never once precluded the possibility. There is a massive difference however between saying "X is possible" and "We have a single reason at all to think X IS".

Ask yourself, is it "possible" that when you leave the house today a pink with yellow pokka dot car driven by a goblin will run you over? Yes it is "possible". Have you any reason... even the tiniest reason at all.... to think this WILL happen? No. Not even a bit of it.

Same thing. Is it "possible" there is a god? Of course, I never claimed otherwise. Is there even a single tiny reason whatsoever to think there IS one howeveR? No. Not even a bit of it.

I am not sure why you keep doing this, but you do seem to have a penchant for ignoring everything I am saying, and moaning about what "most atheists" say. Is there a particular reason you ignore my text and just attack atheist Straw Men instead of anything I have written?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
You just keep saying I have offered no evidence yet I've mentioned many things.
"mentioning things" is not "giving evidence". If it was then lawyers could go into a court room and simply say "I think the accused is guilty because: Teddy Bears, apples, Reality TV, Diesel and stardust" and then just walk out.

One has to do more than simply mention things. Giving evidence is a three step process as follows:

1) State a clear claim.
2) State a clear list of things that support that claim
3) Explain exactly how the things listed in 2 support what was claimed in 1.

Not as follows:

1) Make a vague claim.
2) Mention some stuff and leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,610,946 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
My life changed so dramatically. As they say from black to white literally. You might say I could have done all that without God, but I didn't and I know in my heart how God has changed my outlook and created a new me. I'm sure there are many like me too so I'm not really so special in that regard.
There are certainly more like you, people who think God changed their life. I know some personally. When it comes down to it though, they can't prove that God did anything for them though except give them a warm, fuzzy feeling in their heart and that's really the belief in God that did that. I had a warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart when I was a child and believed in Santa Claus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
But your argument lacks the main point...where we started. Try starting there first.
Are you talking about how life started? It's a little harder to say because we can observe life evolving before our very eyes and examine why it's happening but we can't observe firsthand how life started. However, abiogenesis seems pretty likely.

By replicating what are believed to be the initial conditions of Earth, scientists observed complex biochemicals forming. Remember that this was happening across most or all of the planet for billions of years. The first life or predecessor to life only had to be a chemical that was capable of replicating and mutating, a primitive form of RNA. It didn't have to be (and probably wasn't) anything like even the simplest life today. That evolved later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 AM
 
16,300 posts, read 25,008,549 times
Reputation: 8283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
But your argument lacks the main point...where we started. Try starting there first.
Google it, for I will not waste my time on the closed minded that cleave to ancient ignorance with the tenacity of a pit bull with a pork chop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 12:09 PM
 
16,143 posts, read 17,961,215 times
Reputation: 15924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
We are a complex organism...true? So it is only logical to assume that it took an intelligence to put us together. Therefore God.
No, it is NOT logical to assume that an intelligence put us together given what science has shown. It is possible, but not necessary.


Stephen Hawking: Does God Exist? - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,790 posts, read 13,393,754 times
Reputation: 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
We are a complex organism...true? So it is only logical to assume that it took an intelligence to put us together. Therefore God.
No, not logical at all, really...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,790 posts, read 13,393,754 times
Reputation: 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
My life changed so dramatically. As they say from black to white literally. You might say I could have done all that without God, but I didn't and I know in my heart how God has changed my outlook and created a new me. I'm sure there are many like me too so I'm not really so special in that regard.
I'm exactly like you in that my life went from black to white.

I just had to go at it from the inverse: as soon as I dropped the "god" stone, I felt free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 22,020,906 times
Reputation: 5079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
So your non belief is so weak you cannot even admit it is possible. I am glad at least that my beliefs are strong.
That seems an odd thing to say. I am an atheist and cannot say that it is impossible for a god to exist, but the likelihood seems extremely remote. I could just as well say that there is a planet made of solid iridium in the Andromeda Galaxy and state that I believe it and you can't disprove it; therefore, it must be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 12:53 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
1,530 posts, read 2,610,946 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That seems an odd thing to say. I am an atheist and cannot say that it is impossible for a god to exist, but the likelihood seems extremely remote. I could just as well say that there is a planet made of solid iridium in the Andromeda Galaxy and state that I believe it and you can't disprove it; therefore, it must be true.
I wouldn't mind having a bucket of dirt from that planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top