U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Status: "Life gives you what you need to awaken" (set 8 days ago)

8,808 posts, read 6,093,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I stopped reading here, because a question came to mind.

Are you saying that only people who try to find out the answers are reasonable? It just seem to me, that it's more important to spend time actually living life and making the most of the time we've got here, than it is to spend time seeking the answers to life's questions.
Does that make me unreasonable?
Not unreasonable, just intellectually lazy.

Which isn't bad if you aren't inclined towards deep thinking and introspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 04:54 PM

17,737 posts, read 24,057,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Also, I think that one of the crimes that religion should answer for is the fact that we feel that we must search for metaphysical answers.
Metaphysics is a restaurant where they give you a thirty-thousand page menu and no food. -RP

Old 12-21-2011, 05:13 PM

9,382 posts, read 5,701,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
That is, doubts about your atheism? Ever?
LOL. How can you have doubts about skepticism. That seems like a double negative to me.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 PM

2,705 posts, read 1,363,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Sometimes I wish I did have doubts. It would be nice to think I'd see loved ones again in some kind of heavenly afterlife.

But no. As Christopher Hitchens said, the only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism.
Doubting one's convictions is uncomfortable. I don't recommend it.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Status: "Life gives you what you need to awaken" (set 8 days ago)

8,808 posts, read 6,093,794 times
Oh my, now Theophane isn't a member either. Maybe he created Lucy and Laurencedad and got caught

Old 12-21-2011, 06:53 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,101,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Oh my, now Theophane isn't a member either. Maybe he created Lucy and Laurencedad and got caught
What does that mean - banned?

Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 PM

16,533 posts, read 9,020,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Hmmm... I don't know... Lucy and Laurencedad both had horrible grammar. Theophane actually seemed fairly well educated.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,072,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
If I may offer my opinion. You are setting up a false dichotomy. The way you phrase it, we either spend time seeking answers, OR we live life.

We can do both of course. In fact, many people take pleasure in seeking answers, so you could say that to not seek would be to not live life to the fullest.

Also, I think that one of the crimes that religion should answer for is the fact that we feel that we must search for metaphysical answers. Our culture is so immersed in the concept of hell and damnation that it would be irresponsible to ignore this question.

I do believe that it is a silly concept, but that does not mean that it does not carry a lot of cultural weight.
Yes, you are right. After I read what I typed, I realized how it sounded.
Of course we can live life AND ask questions. I just think that everyone has a different balance in how much time they want to spend "seeking" vs how much time the spend just "living".

Does that make more sense?

Sorry, sometimes I do have trouble expressing what I am thinking.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 PM

10,950 posts, read 6,158,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Would love to hear more about this.
Which part?

It is a proven fact that the Old Testament is a blend of "bibles" or I suppose more correctly a blend of Old Testaments.

In other words, you have several different "original" versions of Judaism. These "original" versions conflict heavily. It's ironic, but had the Kingdom of Israel not been destroyed, christianity would never exist.

Anyway, as far as the archaeological research, there is a political element to that. It is driven mostly by Reformed Jews (who operate Hebrew Union University in San Fransisco, Cincinnati, New York and Tel Aviv). You understand that the existence of such a document would not only negatively impact christianity, but it would also negatively impact Judaism, and the impact would be worse for the Orthodox Jews and Ultra-Orthodox Jews (ie the Zionists).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
It would take me personally experiencing something supernatural in order for me to begin having doubts.
Two others and myself chased a man purportedly to be Jefferson Davis down a pier early one morning. He was dressed in a great coat and something akin to a Buford hat. He didn't just jump off the freaking pier, rather he sort of "dematerialized" and disappeared.

I don't know what it was, but the fact that I don't know what it was and cannot explain does not logically lead to a conclusion that there is a god or an after-life or spirits or demons (or daemons) or anything else.

I'm a little smarter and more worldly than a goat-herder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I stopped reading here, because a question came to mind.

Are you saying that only people who try to find out the answers are reasonable?
If he won't say it, I will. Yes, only people who seek answers are reasonable.

It is the irrational mind that will close itself off and refuse to see. Learning is an inherent part of growing and maturing, and learning requires that you step outside of your "comfort zone" in order to find the truth.

A person's ability to do that will be related to the extent to which they were inculcated and indoctrinated (brain-washed).

It is often painful, but there's no way to grow and mature or even to experience life without enduring some pain of sorts. It isn't all that much different than finding out that a mentor, or someone you idealized, like a hero, is really piece of extremely runny excrement.

A reasonable person will always question, and ask questions, especially the hard questions.

The unreasonable person sticks their head in the sand and pretends not to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Doubting one's convictions is uncomfortable. I don't recommend it.
Well, yes, there are many people who are weak and pathetic and just don't want to face reality, and intentionally blinding one's self to reality is taking the easy way out.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 PM

4,345 posts, read 3,730,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
When Mystic, Boxcar and KD8 talk about a possible cosmic mind, then yes, of course, I have to give a certain amount of credit to the possibility. That could be called 'doubt'. Should that be related to various Supernatural claims about NED's miracle healings and the like, then, yes, it would be closed - minded to not accept that there could be something in it. That could be called 'doubt'.
That's basically what I'm asking. I think all the religious gods have been shown to be less loving than many humans and so have disqualified themselves from being absolute truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
as regards the claims related to the Bible, I have examined them and yes, there are sometimes doubts about individual points. There have to be, but the overall conviction is that the claims fail to stack up so badly that such doubts are about the odd details.

The far greater doubt is to be aimed at the claims of religion. Don't you ever doubt those?
I never believed in the literalist bible or koran views. Yet the view that we come from (and are part of) a cosmic super intellect has never been in doubt (much) since my "rebirth" experience (some 35 years ago). Yet - as a former atheist I have always remained sympathetic to the atheistic view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism