U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,769,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We can debate the evidence separately . . . but stop pretending that your view is the logical one when it clearly is NOT!. Live with it. You prefer your illogical premise because of your distaste for God and the religions surrounding beliefs about God, period. Logic has nothing to do with your position.
1) Telling me to stop pressing my view is fascist, and I won't stand for it.

2) My view is valid whether or not I believe in god.

3) Don't tell me that you expect me or anyone else to simply take your word for how things are, that not supporting your claims is some kind of birthright of yours. That would be foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 PM

40,580 posts, read 27,099,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
1) Telling me to stop pressing my view is fascist, and I won't stand for it.
2) My view is valid whether or not I believe in god.
3) Don't tell me that you expect me or anyone else to simply take your word for how things are, that not supporting your claims is some kind of birthright of yours. That would be foolish.
Suit yourself. Claiming logic for the illogical simply makes you appear ignorant and uneducated. If you believe you have some logic syllogism that supports your view just present it.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:19 PM

5,663 posts, read 4,409,381 times
I never have. I never believed even as a kid, was always sceptical and was never convinced.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Suit yourself. Claiming logic for the illogical simply makes you appear ignorant and uneducated. If you believe you have some logic syllogism that supports your view just present it.
I would love to do that. The problem is that, as the Fox TV character Dr. House once said:

"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people".

Since that is not possible, why bother?

Cheers,

Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,800,077 times
I am an atheist and I have never have doubts. The behavior of both Christians and churches just make me believe more and more in my non-believe.

I do think that there may be some high power but that thought isnt very strong, I am more just open to he idea. I just have completely thrown Christianity and the bible out the window and everyday this world shows me more and more that it is nearly impossible that the God written about in the Bible doesnt exist.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I would love to do that. The problem is that, as the Fox TV character Dr. House once said:
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people".
Since that is not possible, why bother?
Cheers,
If you can produce a logic syllogism that proceeds from a premise of a universe devoid of consciousness to a predicate of the existence of consciousness . . . amaze me with it.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
If you can produce a logic syllogism that proceeds from a premise of a universe devoid of consciousness to a predicate of the existence of consciousness . . . amaze me with it.

Dude, it isn't for me to produce anything. You are the one who claims that the universe is conscious. It's your claim to support. Have at it already.

While you are at it, you could respond to my post about the effects of anesthesia on consciousness and how it relates to the physical/chemical nature of the mind.

Or you could go to this thread and respod to it:

Mystery of Human Consciousness Illuminated

Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,112,761 times
Quote:
Ah I see Mystic pulled out his 'god' ballcap this evening. Too bad he is admiring himself in his chapeau in the mirror and it in reality it actually says 'dog'.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Dude, it isn't for me to produce anything. You are the one who claims that the universe is conscious. It's your claim to support. Have at it already.
But logically it is trivial to show that in a conscious universe we have consciousness. You have the ridiculous logic burden of showing that in a universe devoid of consciousness there can be consciousness. The real point being that logic is NOT on your side. Yours is NOT the logical position. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ah I see Mystic pulled out his 'god' ballcap this evening. Too bad he is admiring himself in his chapeau in the mirror and it in reality it actually says 'dog'.
Actually I am just trying to aid your side to keep them from appearing ignorant by claiming they hold the LOGICAL position.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
But logically it is trivial to show that in a conscious universe we have consciousness.
Before you can claim that the universe is conscious, you have to demonstrate that it is, in fact, conscious. Suggesting that it is conscious because we are conscious (or visa versa) is circular reasoning, a logical fallacy, one that doesn't actually demonstrate anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism