U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 06:48 PM

48 posts, read 38,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Thank you, I appreciate the comment. I try to entertain at least, where i can stop myself rambling on and boring everyone's nadgers off.

I wouldn't argue much with what you've said above except that I translate 'God' as 'the way we have evolved'.
Agreed - and its the prospect of where our constantly and continuing evolving will take us that has me intrigued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Status: "It seems the Block has been taken off. Thank you" (set 8 days ago)

42,694 posts, read 12,181,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasaga View Post
Agreed - and its the prospect of where our constantly and continuing evolving will take us that has me intrigued.
Intriguing indeed, but, since no -one can no, idle speculation. The only thing we can sensibly do in that direction is try to make a better job of ourselves and the way we run the planet.

Btw "So the only question that remains, "how long is a piece of string". "

Is correctly answered: 'nobody really knows' and not 'I know how long - it came to me in a dream'.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,244,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Following that logic, it is equally logical that you don't have a consciousness at all, that in fact you and your consciousness are simulations as well.
No, I have a consciousness. I think, therefore I am, and all that jazz. I am self aware.

Now, it is possible that self awareness is some kind of (metaphorical) software subroutine within the simulation, I am of the opinion that consciousness is fundamental, and as such, is the ONLY "real" thing. That may be outside the scope of this conversation though.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,809,639 times
Quote:
Yet Billions of people around the World play on the off chance that they will win, they have sufficient faith based on overwhelming evidence that there is a winner - but that is clearly not the case as the prize does not go off every week. But is the hope of winning enough to keep the spirit alive - for another week at least.

Is it an overwhelming need to believe in something, whether a literal belief in the Bibles at one extreme or an absolute belief in oneself in the here and now at the other, or anywhere in between, that demonstates our inner spirits need to believe or have faith. And aren't those two extremes just the opposite poles of the same thing. So as the pendulum swings, it is still anchored by the same apex. We are all heading in same direction whether we like it, believe it, or not. So the only question that remains, "how long is a piece of string".
What it shows is that people see what they want to see, whether or not it has any basis in reality. It is delusional thinking.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 PM

48 posts, read 38,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
What it shows is that people see what they want to see, whether or not it has any basis in reality. It is delusional thinking.
But really, isn't reality 100% based on perspective and experience? My reality and yours could be so far apart.

As an example, the area I grew up in was on the Southern Beaches of Sydney Australia. Extremely fond memories of catching the first train in the morning for an early morning surf, safe beaches day and night. The sort of place I would love to share with my kids now some 35 years later - however, without my knowledge or experience over the past 35 years this area has now become the hub of some of the worst Race Riots is Sydneys' recent history.

My reality is now no reality at all. I agree with you that each of us has a reality based on what we want to see, qualified by our individual perspectives and experiences - but you can't write it off as delusional thinking, it's that dismissive attitude that stifles any form of growth or progress.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 AM

5,460 posts, read 6,041,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am not trying to do that, KC . . . but I AM trying to get you to see that the inability to produce a logically consistent syllogism for your position MEANS it is NOT the logical default! Comprende?
Who claims anything is the logical default? Who cares if something is deducible through logic when there's overwhelming evidence that it works? All the lack of a logical syllogism there shows is that idle speculation such as yours isn't all it's cracked up to be compared to using observation of how reality works to figure out that reality.

Quote:
I never called for throwing out ANY of our scientific knowledge.
Please provide a logically consistent syllogism showing that scientific knowledge is correct. You can't - you'll run into the problem of induction before too long. And yet you don't let this limitation stop you from [pretending to] accept science [when it suits your needs]. Yet you expect this to be a huge stumbling block for everyone else.

At least be consistent. If this isn't a problem for you, why should it be for anyone else?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 AM

5,460 posts, read 6,041,935 times
Quote:
But really, isn't reality 100% based on perspective and experience?
No. Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 AM

8,395 posts, read 10,100,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
That's just it, IMO. People will see what they want, believe what they want.

You can see how powerful the mind is when you look at symptoms of stress and anxiety or panic. Thinking about having an illness can actual make you produce physical symptoms of that illness. Thought is connected to our nerves, digestive system, etc. What we think can give us the justifications physically. It doesn't mean we have said illness though. It doesn't make it real, just seem real.

It happens all the time. It's why we need to chill, relax, exercise, clear our minds and educate ourselves. We can imagine powerful things, it serves some purpose but it also has it's side effects. I.E. Gods, Boogymen, Ghosts, Imaginary Friends. lol

Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 AM

8,395 posts, read 10,100,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
No. Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it.
Exactly, I consider religious people "Godchodriacs." Like "hypochondriacs," they can produce proof of something that isn't there, they believe it, their life is surrounded by it. It continues as long as the thought is constant and practiced behavior is evident.

"Patients with hypochondriasis often are not aware that depression and anxiety produce their own physical symptoms that might be mistaken for signs of a serious medical disease. For example, people with depression often experience changes in appetite and weight fluctuation, fatigue, decreased interest in sex and motivation in life overall. Intense anxiety is associated with rapid heart beat, palpitations, sweating, muscle tension, stomach discomfort, and numbness or tingling in certain parts of the body (hands, forehead, etc.).[citation needed]
Some people suggest that hypochondriasis is a "mild form" of paranoid schizophrenia, as patients tend to show a paranoid framework in which the target is their body. Also, the persistent paranoid feeling about illness can be regarded as delusion from reality. Patients with hypochondriasis have shown a remarkable response to atypical antipsychotics medication, but much research needs to be done in this field."
Hypochondriasis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,809,639 times
Quote:
But really, isn't reality 100% based on perspective and experience? My reality and yours could be so far apart.

As an example, the area I grew up in was on the Southern Beaches of Sydney Australia. Extremely fond memories of catching the first train in the morning for an early morning surf, safe beaches day and night. The sort of place I would love to share with my kids now some 35 years later - however, without my knowledge or experience over the past 35 years this area has now become the hub of some of the worst Race Riots is Sydneys' recent history.

My reality is now no reality at all. I agree with you that each of us has a reality based on what we want to see, qualified by our individual perspectives and experiences - but you can't write it off as delusional thinking, it's that dismissive attitude that stifles any form of growth or progress.
A delusion is a false belief or opinion that is resistant to reason when confronted with facts, so yes I do believe it is delusional thinking. Of course, if new facts come to light that refutes this, I am willing to change my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism