U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:20 AM

5,738 posts, read 3,171,423 times
I've tried Christianity a couple different times in my life, and the second time (as an adult), I felt I was forcing myself to believe something which wasn't true. I've studied the other religions and found them to be nothing more than valuable individual philosophies. If I were to "believe" it may be more along the lines of paganism or the "Great Mother" of American Indian belief.

In the end, all religions are humankind's way of attempting to find their place in life, and if you've attained knowledge of self at some point without religion, you're not too likely to change course down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 12:42 AM

4,345 posts, read 3,525,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Constructive doubt is good. As a skeptic it is part of the methodology.
Amen!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Doubt that there might be some sort of cosmic being up there? Sometimes. It's very nebulous though so I don't much worry about it.

Doubt that the religions of man are all entirely fictitious? No doubts at all.
I don't "worry" per se. But I DO want to know what the reality of the situation is.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Doubts about what? When you have no religious beliefs at all what is there to doubt?

I don't have any. In fact, I used to call myself agnostic but I'm finding more and more I am an atheist. I don't believe. In any of it. I have no doubts about my non-beliefs.

I've had a few very tense and stressful moments over the last few weeks and thought my old self, who kinda believed would have prayed to god for help. I decided praying would be useless sense no one hears my prayers. So I skipped that and relied on myself to get through the situation. And it worked out. I found hope and peace of mind without any belief in a god.

I think it only cemented my belief that I do not religion at all. I gave me more proof that atheism is the best way for me. No doubts!
Religion(s) aside - do you ever wonder if there is something beyond this physical universe?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Greetings FirstBorn. I am still waiting for you to FULLY come over to the bright side. lol...I know you're getting there.

Anyway, I don't doubt. I had FAR more doubts about my Christian faith when I was a Christian. I THOUGHT I was sure but there were always those gaping holes in the process.
Beyond Christian dogma though? A cosmic mind? Anything beyond the physical universe?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Becoming an Atheist is not something I took lightly.

My path started at the Berlin Museum one day at lunch, and it took 10 years of study and research to move from christian to Agnostic to Atheist.

My position is strengthened almost daily by new evidence, so, no, I have neither doubts nor regrets.

I check out professional journals quite frequently, and have noted that Israeli scholars are hot and heavy on the hunt. It's only a matter of time before either the J Document, the E Document, or both are found, and when they are, it will rip apart the entire foundation of christianity.
For the benefit of those who may not know what you are referencing above: JEDP theory - Theopedia, an encyclopedia of Biblical Christianity

Old 12-22-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post

But the following day I woke up unharmed, did my research and found out about parasomnias.
It's a trip for sure. The movement inhibitors are suppose to turn off at the same split second you wake up. I occasionally get out of sync and dang - crazy stuff can seem to happen.
Learn more about Sleep Paralysis Treatment | dream studies portal

Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
LOL. How can you have doubts about skepticism. That seems like a double negative to me.
Yes, it's a bit of a play on words - but we all know exactly what the question means, right?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Our culture is so immersed in the concept of hell and damnation that it would be irresponsible to ignore this question.

I do believe that it is a silly concept, but that does not mean that it does not carry a lot of cultural weight.
You know - as crazy and as frustrating the belief is here in the states, the real cultural weight of fundamentalism is felt in countries where they actually practice literal barbarism - stoning and cutting off hands and such as a result of religious beliefs. At least Christianity has largely grown out of that phase.

That said - it does seem that religious fundamentalism still has a powerful sway within the average American psyche which presents it's own challenges.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Not unreasonable, just intellectually lazy.

Which isn't bad if you aren't inclined towards deep thinking and introspection.
Didn't you mean to say "cursed with deep thinking and introspection"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism