Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 01:04 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times

Advertisements

Theists must have some special, personal "needs" that atheists can't even begin to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
It's kind of like saying the dictionary just fell into place. It is far to complex to have just been put together by random letters aligning themselves. And just think how much more complex life and our universe is. Way beyond our scope, really.
The Stonemaker Argument

Old 02-06-2012, 02:02 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,042 times
Although Mr Dawkins always says it best

The Watchmaker And Other Creationist Arguments - YouTube

Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,385,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Atheists: Do you EVER have doubts? That is, doubts about your atheism? Ever?
No. But I want to mention that this is not the same as feeling POSITIVE that there isn't a god or that he/she/it wouldn't punish me for not believing. I just don't ever think about it. Not out of fear, but preoccupation with other things.

I actually hope there isn't a God like the one proposed by Christianity, for more reasons than one! Yes, if such a God exists, I'm probably going to burn for not guessing correctly as to which proposed "god" was real. But also, if I were to somehow come into the KNOWLEDGE that the Christian God was real, I'd have difficulty respecting him, let alone worshipping him.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:28 PM

1,006 posts, read 734,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Nope. Never. I have continually re-examined my atheism as the years have past and have never found any convincing evidence or argument to make me doubt it. Every argument against atheism is full of offensive stereotypes, misrepresentations of our positions, logical fallacies, appeals to emotion, and none of that holds any weight with me. Pascal's wager is the height of silliness and I find it unconvincing to the say the least. I am quite sure that every religion on earth, every diety ever conceived, is a product of the imagination of humanity. No other explanation makes any sense.
This sums up my thoughts almost verbatim....

Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
It's kind of like saying the dictionary just fell into place. It is far to complex to have just been put together by random letters aligning themselves. And just think how much more complex life and our universe is. Way beyond our scope, really.
Not really. Note that this is NOT random chance, but the evolutionary model where *good* guesses are kept and those that are not correct are discarded along the way.

BBC News - Virtual monkeys write Shakespeare

Quote:
A few million virtual monkeys are close to re-creating the complete works of Shakespeare by randomly mashing keys on virtual typewriters.

A running total of how well they are doing shows that the re-creation is 99.990% complete.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:33 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Theists must have some special, personal "needs" that atheists can't even begin to understand.
That sums it up perfectly. Some of us don't need to believe in a god but others, like my children, do.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 PM

526 posts, read 691,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That sums it up perfectly. Some of us don't need to believe in a god but others, like my children, do.
Wrong!
Children are taught to believe in God; they have no such need.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
I understand much of what they seem to need, it is the why the need to operate under the promises of the snake oil salesmen of religion that really eludes me.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,713,942 times
Quote:
But I do have a reason.
I don't view faith as a reason to believe. It's more a rationalization for believing in something you know you shouldn't. So maybe in that sense it's a reason, but it's not reasonable to use as a basis for knowledge.

Quote:
And even from a logically point of view it makes sense because there is so much more to this world and life than we can see or feel. Even science has proven that. So to believe this is a deliberate creation and not somehow a product of appearing out of nowhere is quite logical to me.
How do you make the connection between "we can only directly sense certain wavelengths of light" and "therefore a supernatural creator god exists and is worried that we worship her"? Seems you've left out quite a bit of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism