U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:09 PM

11,798 posts, read 22,015,761 times

Advertisements

Just imagine all the traffic accidents if the streets were paved with silver (or gold). Not much coefficient of friction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 11:27 PM

15,326 posts, read 10,372,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I don't doubt that a man named Jesus did exist.
Well you should 'cause if he did exist his name wouldn't have been 'Jesus'.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 AM

39,326 posts, read 10,946,230 times
No I can definitely say that I never wanted Gospel Jesus to exist. As I remarked to a colleague after studying the Gospels at his suggestion. He isn't a very likeable person you know.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 AM

6,491 posts, read 5,253,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Just imagine all the traffic accidents if the streets were paved with silver (or gold). Not much coefficient of friction.
Well that's another great thing about heaven! Contrary to popular belief, there's plenty of danger! But don't worry, no one ever dies there; they just go to the hospital for a few minutes.

Ya gotta shake things up, you know? Eternity's a long time!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM

12,358 posts, read 7,767,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I don't doubt that a man named Jesus did exist. I just don't believe all that was attributed to him. Way too "extreme urban legend" for me.

Chances are he was just a very charismatic person and, as such, he was made into kind of a super hero by his fan club.

Aaaaanyway, Blessed Yule to you all!
I feel the same way. Where I live when people find out you don't go to church they'll often ask: "Don't you believe in Jesus Christ" or something similar and I'll usually reply that I believe in the historical Jesus but not the supernatural Jesus.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:58 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,986,809 times
Well, I think yes there was a historical Jesus. Was he a miracle worker, a person who came back alive after he died, did he order his followers to start a religion in his name after he was gone? NO probably not.
We can never really know what exactly Jesus said or did or taught because he himself was probably illiterate, as were his followers, and nothing from his time was recorded as being significant or groundbreaking at the time
His followers must have seen something in him, some glimmer of hope in life under the heavy hand of Rome, some idea that was revolutionary to them, something that had not been taught since the Buddha.

Years later, mythology and superbnaturalism kicked in. Remember, we are not talking so much about uneducated people as we are talking about people who had no foundation for reality other than Superstition and mythology. IF the sun came up, for example, it was because Apollo was driving a golden chariot across the sky, and if a person succombed to illness, then it was demonic possession or "because god willed it so"

After a few generations, people can be mere mortals and made to seem bigger than life. Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, Teddy Roosevelt are great examples of what mythos has added to an otherwise already outstanding life.
Jesus probably was, for the most part, charismatic, and although we cannot know his true message, as that has been lost and diluted by myths, we would hope that he was a positive light shining when the tribes of Israel needed it most.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:17 PM

12,358 posts, read 7,767,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Well, I think yes there was a historical Jesus. Was he a miracle worker, a person who came back alive after he died, did he order his followers to start a religion in his name after he was gone? NO probably not.
We can never really know what exactly Jesus said or did or taught because he himself was probably illiterate, as were his followers, and nothing from his time was recorded as being significant or groundbreaking at the time
His followers must have seen something in him, some glimmer of hope in life under the heavy hand of Rome, some idea that was revolutionary to them, something that had not been taught since the Buddha.

Years later, mythology and superbnaturalism kicked in. Remember, we are not talking so much about uneducated people as we are talking about people who had no foundation for reality other than Superstition and mythology. IF the sun came up, for example, it was because Apollo was driving a golden chariot across the sky, and if a person succombed to illness, then it was demonic possession or "because god willed it so"

After a few generations, people can be mere mortals and made to seem bigger than life. Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, Teddy Roosevelt are great examples of what mythos has added to an otherwise already outstanding life.
Jesus probably was, for the most part, charismatic, and although we cannot know his true message, as that has been lost and diluted by myths, we would hope that he was a positive light shining when the tribes of Israel needed it most.
That preforming miracles part is the part I don't believe about Jesus. That person who supposedly came back to life probably just looked died and really wasn't dead in the first place.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,986,809 times
Wayland Woman If you have not read it yet, check out The Evolution of God by Robert Wright. he has an interesting take on the whole miracle and healing phenom. Basically, if someone came in a shaman or medicine man, said a prayer, did some dance, offered some herbs or something, and a person got betterm then that man was said to be a miracle worker from then on. All a person needs, in the end, is for one person to come and say "OH OH he CURED ME" or "OH OH He brought me back from the dead" etc and the sotries will aboud....true or not.

As for the resurection, which no I do not believe to have been a literal event, Spong points out in his book ( I think it was) Why Christianity must Change or Die that Jesus execution and buria; folllows a timeline that could not have happened. For one, criminals were generally left up to rot on the cross after execution, 2 he would not have died that quickly and 3 he could not have been buried by Jewish custom on the sabbath, or that closed to it, according to the rules of the tribe which his father Joseph had. He would have been buried on Sunday the say he supposedly popped back in
I always said that if that really happened, the tomb, the graveyard, everything would have become so overflowing with supernatural thrill seekers and miracle workers all wanting to see the place of this miraculous ressurection, that Rome would not have been able to contain it. Interesting, because to this day no one knows where that tomb is or was....this great place of a miracle is lost forever...... Which is because like the other miracles it was one of the stories added in later as the mythology progressed and borrowed heavily from Rome and Egypt.

It would be interesting to meet this Jesus ...he was probably a good guy, maybe a little ragged and rough around the edges, but not so much different than the rest of us.....

Old 12-22-2011, 08:40 PM

16,300 posts, read 25,002,429 times
Some guy named Jesus who's a carpenter gets in trouble, guilty or innocent doesn't really matter, and gets executed for his troubles. Sure no problem with that concept.

Now, come the hard part.
Son of a god........... nope
conceived by magic (or was it xxx thoughts)........ still nope
comes back to life after 3 days............ still ain't buying it
body just floats off to heaven...................... really

Old 12-23-2011, 03:51 AM

6,491 posts, read 5,253,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Some guy named Jesus who's a carpenter gets in trouble, guilty or innocent doesn't really matter, and gets executed for his troubles. Sure no problem with that concept.

Now, come the hard part.
Son of a god........... nope
conceived by magic (or was it xxx thoughts)........ still nope
comes back to life after 3 days............ still ain't buying it
body just floats off to heaven...................... really
Hehe, have you seen the movies or cartoons where it shows him levitating oh so slowly? I wonder, how long did it take the poor guy to actually REACH heaven at that pace? THAT'S the epitome of poor fatherhood. After all God had already put him through, he still refuses to call his only son a cab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism