U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:33 AM

10,325 posts, read 11,260,754 times

Advertisements

I know of atheists who can see the appeal, but I can't.

I gather the idea is that this is someone who, so the story goes, sacrificed himself for everybody else.

That's fine, and I have nothing against that. In fact, atheist or not, we accord some of our highest admiration for people who sacrifice themselves to save others. The problem is, though, if the whole Christ and redemption story were true that would also mean that the story that the lord and creator of the universe has condemned all of humanity to eternal suffering because of one infraction by our ancestors, and that he has decided that it is justice for all of the descendants of Adam and Eve to suffer for what they did.

So no, I do not with that that story were true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 AM

4,900 posts, read 3,987,670 times
I would have no problem with the appeal of a supreme being who is endlessly good and endlessly loving, all powerful omnipotent. Such a creature does not exist though, and I am able to accept that.

IF it did........

There would be no religions around it, all claiming exclusive ownership of it, claiming to package and sell it. The reason for this would be that each individual would have a direct link to it already, and religions would not need to be formed, as Blake said, so that people would have to hire a priest to handle their intercessions for them.

That shows the utter futility of organized religion. IF such a thing did exist as the above mentioned diety, it is so wrecked with the flaws of the humans who defined it as to be almost worthless. We as humans with our limited resources bound by language, cannot do any better. The best we can do now is to live in the 21st century and not let the fear and superstitions of the 1st century bind and restrict us.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:18 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,169,249 times
Hell no. If Jesus were real, it'd mean Christianity is real, and that would be awful for everyone.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:43 PM

13,144 posts, read 19,236,931 times
I hope any Christian lurkers reading this thread can see atheists value many of the same postitive aspects promoted by their religions.

Atheism is not the opposite of "righteousness"... it's simply accepting the apparent reality of our existence, despite what we may personally want.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:27 PM

4,172 posts, read 6,000,216 times
Nope. If he was real, the oilve colored middle eastern guy would be denied a US visa. Of course, he could come in for grad school or sneak in from mexico or something like that. Other gods would then also feel the need to send in their avatars and relatives - it would result in a bigger confusion than we have now.

It would be way more fun if Bugs Bunny were real. I would visit Yosemite more often.

Last edited by calmdude; 12-23-2011 at 02:43 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 03:27 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
No, my hopes for what's real are already part of my belief system. I don't separate the two; I think it's foolish.

I hope AND believe...

That heaven exists, but there IS a night and a winter and rain.
That me and my girlfriend and my son will be together up there doin fun stuff, not just praising the lord all day.
That my dog Bandit's gonna be waiting up there for me too *sniffle*
That I can play the Xbox 360 and order Domino's til the end of time.
That the streets are paved with silver instead of gold.
And that all of you fine people will be there with me

No, wait... Yeah ok, all of you...
Ooh, me too, me too! This is a GREAT heaven wish list! I'm not sure what my heaven would be. There would definitely be a Renaissance Festival daily and Halloween would come three times a year. And my peeps would be there. ETA: Oh! And there would be a beach with nighttime bonfires and lots to eat and drink.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:41 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,416,809 times
No.

Nor do I ever find myself wishing Quatzalcoatl or Poseidon were real.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:14 AM

19,861 posts, read 19,980,401 times
It would be nice if there had actually exisited a man that could have lived up to all the best of what we think of as a highly ethical/moral life and did no wrong.
However, even if it was true, he only did it for, what? 3 years?
Would the story have changed if he'd had to keep that up for, say, 30/40 more?

Old 12-24-2011, 05:19 AM

6,491 posts, read 5,254,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It would be nice if there had actually exisited a man that could have lived up to all the best of what we think of as a highly ethical/moral life and did no wrong.
However, even if it was true, he only did it for, what? 3 years?
Would the story have changed if he'd had to keep that up for, say, 30/40 more?
I don't understand. I thought the story goes, that he was born on Earth and crucified at about that age, remaining sinless his whole life...

Old 12-25-2011, 12:17 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,484,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well you should 'cause if he did exist his name wouldn't have been 'Jesus'.
Care to elaborate on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism